Any military flight sims for OSX?

Discussion in 'Games' started by splashman, Sep 4, 2003.

1. splashman macrumors 6502

Just moved up to X from 9. Any military flight sims available? I know Fly2 is out there, but I'm aching to shoot something down.

I still play A-10 Attack & A-10 Cuba on my old machines. I would kill (or at least seriously maim) for an updated A-10 that would give my GeForce 4 Ti 128mb card a workout.

Sigh. This is the only reason I wish I had a hot Windows machine in addition to my Mac. I've only got a cheap Compaq box I use for testing.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

X-Plane has more military aircraft than Fly 2 but I don't know whether there is dogfighting or not.

3. job macrumors 68040

job

Warbirds III. This thing will chug on anything less than a 1Ghz G4 with a Radeon/Geforce. You have to pay to play online, but for single player (vs bots) and LAN play, you can download the entire version free (legally!) off of their website. It has more than enough planes and terrains from every theater of conflict. It even has tanks and paratroopers.

[edit: It is a World War II sim]

4. splashman thread starter macrumors 6502

Warbirds -- will try!

I had forgotten about Warbirds. I've never had a machine hot enough to try it, but I've got a new dual 1.25 Ghz G4, with a GeForce 4 TI 128 MB video card, so that should do the trick.

Thanks!

5. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

The new F/A 18 Hornet game "Operation Iraqi Freedom" will be coming for OSX and it has updated graphics. The old Hornet game was great and I can' wait for the next one.

6. mikeh123 macrumors member

Yes warbirds is good.

Also look at wwiionline.com

Combined arms but very good flight models, some issues on the mac at the moment and you do ned a good machine to play.
    Also play ground, navy and armour. One big play world so no "sectors" you can fly for hours without reloads etc.