Any mini DV experts here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mike Teezie, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I am in the market for a good mini DV camera. My budget is around $1,000...though I don't mind spending a little more to get a good camera. I was wondering if anyone here on the forum had any personal experiences with camcorders in this price range. I'm also gonna pick up Final Cut Express or FCP 4. Is the academic version crippled in anyway in contrast to the "regular" version? I don't know much about this kind of thing at all, a little help will go a long way for me...

Thanks in advance!

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

academic version is the exact same, from what i can tell.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: Any mini DV experts here?

I have a Canon ZR 40. I got it for about $400 so it is a lower quality than you want but, the higher end models that Canon makes all have the same ease of use and the same basic setup. They are extremely easy to use, very lightweight, firewire connections, great optics, no software needed, just plug it in. Mine has a 16x digital zoom and the quality deteriorates at about the halfway point. The better models have both digital and optical zoom. I wish I had spent a little more money for the optical zoom. The only thing I don't like about it is the lens cap. It doesn't stay on very well!

I can also take photos with it but the quality isn't very good and they go on the DV tape as it doesn't have a separate photo storage card.

The battery life is only about an hour which isn't much, extra batteries are relatively inexpensive but go to somewhere like batteries.com. All models come with an extra long power cord so you can use them inside without running down the battery. They also have remote controls so that you can film from a distance or from in front of the camera also very handy if you are trying to film wildlife, etc. A hotshoe on top allows a light and you can plug in external mikes as well. You can also manually adjust a number of features like light, or leave it on auto.

I would recommend trying to define what you will use it for first and then looking at all the features of Canon and Sony and see which one suits you best. For such a small package, they are all pretty versatile and can be added onto later. I would recommend focusing on the optics, that is a hard part to upgrade.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Check out c|net.com. They have pretty good reviews on a variety of cameras.

Lethal

5. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

dv cam

If you can at all afford it, my advice is to get a three chip camera, even the cheapest three chip on the market is still miles ahead of any single chip camera on the market. For professional looking video it's a must!

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

1. I don't think a good three-chip camcorder is in your price range. Among the one-chip cameras, you might consider the Sony DCR TRV-27. I've used one and never had a bit of trouble. You can save about $100 by buying the model one step down, the TRV-25, which has a smaller LCD screen. Both models are over a year old, so Sony no doubt has newer models to compare these with. But those are the two I know.

2. FCP's academic version has two disabilities: You are not supposed to do any for-profit moviemaking work with it, and it is not eligible for upgrades if and when a new version comes out, i.e., you couldn't pay an upgrade price someday to go from FCP 4 Academic to FCP 5 Academic.

7. bennyek macrumors regular

Panasonic DV953

Look into the Panasonic Dv953 recently released. It is a 3CCD and incredible features for the price. You can get it online for 1,299 Worth every penny
    I got one and regret nothing!!!!

8. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Thanks for all the help folks, really. I think I am gonna go with the Panasonic PV-GS70, and Final Cut Express. The only thing is, I don't see this camera on the supportd list for iMovie, so will my Powerbook be able to pull the video off the camera without installing any software (besides FCE)?

Sorry for my utter lack of knowledge in this matter......

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If the camera isn't on the approved hardware list for iMoive, FCE, and/or FCP (all the lists are different) then that means it might work and it might not.

Lethal

10. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Its not on any of the lists. Its a new camera from what I understand, so could that mean the list just hasn't been updated yet? I don't want to spend the money for something thats not going to work.

bennyek - have you hooked your Panasonic camera up to your mac yet?

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It certainly could. If the Panasonic PV-GS70 is very similar to models that ARE on the list, it's very likely to work. The trouble is that you can't be sure.

Can you return it in the unlikely event that it isn't compatible? If so, you might prefer buying it now, rather than buying a less-desirable model or waiting until Apple adds it to the official list.