Any more from Freescale?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by willmg, Sep 22, 2004.

1. willmg macrumors member

I took a quick look at their site and at least the e500 seems to be in production as they have complete charts and solutions using it. It shows 600-1000MHz, with support for PCI-X, RapidIO, DDR, and other decent features. Don't see anything about an e600/700 though which would be powerful enough for use by Apple. Anyone have any info on their chips or think they will even be ready in time for a late fall update?

2. coconn06 macrumors regular

According to MOSR here Freescale just demoed some new processors for Apple, which sounds very promising...

3. willmg thread starter macrumors member

Hrmmm.....Only at 1.6GHz currently with 130nm. I would be happy with this in a new book if it included a true DDR FSB not an anemic 167 bus or even the supposed 200 bus. Alone though, 100MHz doesn't seem to be worth Apples time for a fall update, maybe wait for the 90nm process they claim will give 2GHz?

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

MOSR???? Bwahaha! Enjoyable, but take it with a rock of salt.

5. coconn06 macrumors regular

Well, sure, but as this "rumor" is consistent with facts (i.e. Freescale is developing new processors with plans to have them available in the relatively near future), it's not as "out there" or unreasonable as some rumors are.

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I so want Freescale to succeed simply because I don't want Apple to have to rely on 1 processor maker. I also think that it will be a while before we are able to see G5s in PowerBooks. But sadly, given pasts experiences with Motorola, I am having trouble giving Freescale the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell.

7. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Freescale is supposed annouce their dual-core embededed processor at the Microprocessor Forum in October. That presentation will say a lot about whether there is any Freescale in Apple's future.

I didn't know MacOSRumors was still around. Haven't had a good laugh in a while. Maybe I'll take a look.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's consistent with what they were doing as a division of Motorola--developing plans, not processors. For the moment, the E600 and E700 are vapourware, as was their G5.