Any Mormons here?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Aldaris, May 11, 2005.

1. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

This is in no way ment to be a rant or rave or turn into a huge your right I'm wrong... Please respect the religion and beliefs of other's especially within tha mac community... remember we all have one thing in common the "? mac"

I was just curious if there were any Mormons or Latter-Day Saints that are MacRumors Members as well...

Thanks...

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

there have been a few that I have seen posting here. Some going on missions, others just posting their thoughts.

Given the vision of the Madonna, not the sing one in the Chicago area; there smacks a bit of religious intolerance here in the world. As one that was raised Catholic, and with understanding of the Virgin Mother, it is distressing to see some of the comments here about "visions".

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope

Help an ignorant person out here, is it the Mormons who charge tourists (and others) for photographs of Salt Lake City? Is that true, or just some scary myth?

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I am, but shouldn't this be in the Politics/Religion forum?

5. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I "Dated" a Mormon in High School

It was very awkward and enlightening at the same time.

But, to answer your question: I don't think there are very Mormons in the forum.

If I had to choose a denomination, I would consider myself a progressive Catholic...

6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I think only if it starts getting into an argument/debate over religion... which I hope it doesn't.

In high school one of my best friends was mormon. He went on his mission about 2 years after we graduated and while on his mission got in a huge accident (moving semi + stalled car = bad) and now he suffers from short-term memory loss (like the Memento guy). It's just a miracle he's still alive.

7. TheT macrumors 6502

I am not a Mormon, but I used to be part of a Mormon family during my exchange year in the states... I was very impressed and learned a lot about the mordern reality of this religion; I can't stand those myths that get spread by people who don't even know what they are talking about.

8. TheT macrumors 6502

I have never heard about that one and though I only spent one day in Salt Lake City I don't think this is true at all. It's not about you being ignorant, it's just that many people believe some things they hear because they don't know any better... I it is just important not to judge a religion, or for that matter any group of people, without any proper knowledge (this is not particularly related to your post :) )

9. clykins90 macrumors regular

clykins90

10. makisushi macrumors 6502

11. makisushi macrumors 6502

Totally untrue.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The only place in the US where anybody ever wanted me to pay money to take photos was at the Indian pueblo at Taos, New Mexico. I stopped on the approach road--on Indian land--for a wide-angle shot before entering to take the guided tour. An Indian passing by got on my case that only after I'd entered and paid the tourist fee could I take photos. In a spirit of full cooperation, I put away my camera and turned around and went back to Taos.

Salt Lake City? Hey, all I met were friendly, pleasant folks. Don't go to reading and believing too much Zane Grey...

'Rat

13. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm not a Mormon, though I'm listed as "saved" through an uncle who is. I found this amusing when I found out as I figure "saved" is between me and God... and we're usually on pretty good terms... ;)

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for that. I've always kinda wondered about that one but I swear I saw it on a documentary once in the lead up to an Olympic games or something.

15. makisushi macrumors 6502

That is interesting. I have never heard of someone being "saved" just by familial relation.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, I have. I heard that there is an ongoing LDS project to co-opt the entire world into their church by genealogical extrapolation. I'll look for the link. If it's not an urban myth...

17. makisushi macrumors 6502

The geneology thing is not a myth, but it is about people who have died. Mischief is still alive.

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

If it's an urban legend it's one the Nation's Rabbi's are really offended by. NPR recently ran an article about a flap involving the posthumous "saving" of Auschwitz dead.

19. makisushi macrumors 6502

Yes. Posthumously. However, you are still alive, or at least you seem to be... :p

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

So effectively, currently living relatives are Qued up for "saving"? How very odd.

21. makisushi macrumors 6502

I guess you could look at it that way. The way we look at it, you currently have the chance to be "saved" because you are alive and have the ability to hear our gospel teachings and choose whether to reject it or not.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Can I opt out of being posthumously saved, or is it mandatory?

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Frankly, I find the whole LDS thing utterly bizarre. Still, whatever blows your skirt up... ;)

24. makisushi macrumors 6502

Lol!
    We believe in free agency, so Yes! you can opt out.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How? Do we have to sign a release form?

BTW, if you baptize posthumously, where's the "free agency" in that? The dead can't object.