Any motorcyclists?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Aug 2, 2003.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    I've been wondering if anyone here rides motorcycles. I've always wanted to get into riding and figured now is a good time to start. I've matured past the push-it-to-the-limit days of my late teens and early twenties and feel I can be a responsible rider. [Cross fingers]
    I know exactly the bike I want too. It's the new Honda 919. I really liked the Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 but they stopped making them and they're hard to find. Then there's Ducati with their Monster series. Nice bikes.
    I guess by now you've figured out that I'm a naked bike fan. I like the big cruisers but they're too expensive for my taste. The fiberglass enshrouded sportbikes look just weird to me.
    Anyway, who else rides here?
  2. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    wow, you missed a lot of great discussions when alphatech was here before he left

i don't ride but i like anything on two wheels...i don't know if there are people like me, but dirtbike, rocketbike, or harley, i find them all special in their beauty

i have a cousin who died on one, a friend who died on one, and a client and also a band member who nearly died on one so i don't figure i will be getting a bike anytime soon
  3. jbomber macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2003
    Brooklyn - NYC
    dammit. that's exactly what keeps me from actually putting the money down. a friend and i keep getting set to buy a couple of superbikes, but then we always hear about someone else dying while riding. :(
  4. KCK macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I use to ride a motorcycle. In fact I have my BMW R100R in the garage right now waiting for me to sell it. The main issue with me wanting to quit is I have to many responsibilities and to many others depending on me if I should get seriously hurt.

I mainly used the motor to work bicycle races as a mobil official. I guess I got that desire out of my blood and now I'm ready to sell the bike and more onto something else.
  5. jbomber macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2003
    Brooklyn - NYC
    Did you ever have a serious accident while you were riding?
  6. KCK macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I never had a serious accident but I would hear about strange ones that were fairly serious. There was one time a motorcycle rider was in the fast lane on the freeway going slightly over the speed limit on a Sun morning. The next thing the guy knew he was flying up in the air and he landed pretty hard. Turns out some drunk woman rearended him doing about 95. she hit him so hard the motorcycle was stuck to the front of the car in an upright position.

I also know of an accident where a motorcycle rider pulled onto the shoulder of a highway because there was heavy fog and he wanted to wait for visibility to clear up a bit. He was hit and killed by a woman doing 65 in zero visibility on the shoulder of the highway in a borrowed 4X4 truck.

Just two examples where the motorcyclist was doing everything right and still got seriously hurt or killed due to stupid auto drivers.
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i think way too many times car drivers just don't see the motorcycle

i am a very careful driver and i often do not see a motorcycle until it is very close to's scary how just the frame of a car window can hide a bike

and motorcycles don't have fender benders
  8. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    Re: Any motorcyclists?

i ride a ducati 748s.

start small. get a small/low powered bike first to gain experience. that 919 will have some grunt and spit you off if you ain't experienced.
  9. Golem macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2003
    I ride a Kawasaki Zr 750. I have been thinking of moving up to the Z1000 which I guess is similar to the Zephr 1100 mentioned? But for now its really money i shoudnt be spending.

No real need for a car as I would be lucky to travel more 50 k a week if I had one plus No offstreet parking and the street is all 60 minute limit. The bike I can just ride up the side of the house.

No serious accidents in 20+ years but I did have a minor accident about 3 years ago where I just lost it on a relative slow inner city corner. Sitting on the side of the road going what the heck and then I see the next 2 cars that take the corner both spinning their wheels in what must have been oil or grease on a wet road.
  10. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I also ride, but I am fresh out of bike right now :(. I had to sell my baby to finance a house remodel and a surgery. Thank God the bike was paid for.

Anyway, I rode a Harley and really like naked bikes like you mentioned and plus the Buell, for obvious reasons.

There were times when I would go to work for weeks without even as much as looking at my car. Let me tell you, riding a Harley in morning traffic in Dallas will wake you up faster than a kick in the crotch after a Venti Espresso.

In my lunch break I would skip eating and would just go on a rideabout. I loved it, oh well. I guess I have my priorities straight.

Anyway, if you have already ridden bikes before and you have completed the bike course, I don't see anything wrong with getting the 919. You just need to know your limits that's the most important part.

Yes, you need to know that your bike will take off from 0-60 in less time than it takes car drivers to realize that the red light has changed. You need to know that a half throttle could easily mean 110 MPH. But you also need to know that a patch of water in a curve will send you sliding; that a gust of wind can make you appear in front of an 18 wheeler two lanes over; that a grooved road is damned uncomfortable to ride on.

Anyway, consider, and buy. Nothing should stand in the way of a man and his wild oats. ;)
  11. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    I've recently wanted to get a motocycle, of course if I ever do it'll be after college. How bad are things like rain/snow while riding?
  12. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Dude, you do not want to ride during inclement weather if you can help it. Riding a motorcycle in snow is just outright suicidal.
    Enjoy the freedom and the thrill but you got to be EXTRA EXTRA cautious. Or else you'll be in the hospital for a while. Or end up at the morgue.
    I'm not worried about my riding, just that other damn driver who's not paying attention.
  13. Geetar macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    Yeah, he was good on bikes, debugging and hardware, but the relentless "Sheesh, newbies!" etc ad nauseam left a lot to be desired.

I'm a Harley rider (ex Triumph, Yamaha and Honda in the UK) and I'm glad I'm in Florida instead of the UK where I started out. But I've swapped lethal diesel spills for ageing neck-braced land-yacht drivers who don't see you until they've smeared you across the blacktop.

My advice- unless you're outside of an urban environment, don't be in any hurry to exchange 4 wheels for 2. Car-drivers here are so blind/careless/unaware that you'll be person-jelly before you can say "Stage 2 my 883 please."
  14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i bought a motorbike in october last year to learn on, a nice little honda vtr 250 interceptor. unfortunately it doesn't want to start, so i've been unable to ride it, now it's all seized and waiting to be picked up by a charity organisation... but i got the bug for sure... only rode it for about 500 miles total, in freezing cold weather too most of the time, already come of it, no real fault of my own, some jackass in front didn't see me when he changed lanes in traffic. glad i got the first fall out of the way though :)

i've been itching to get another bike, to learn a bit more on before i get theone i want, the triumph daytona 600 :D

jbomber, get the bike ... you'll regret it if ya don't, you just have to accept that you're not always in control of what may happen. but then you live in brookie right? so you should be somewhat used to that feeling heh. oh, if you know anything about them, you can have mine if ya want, it needs a new starter i think, and some tlc.
  15. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I tried riding a motorbike once... ;)

All I can say is, the clutch is in totally the wrong place when you need to stop in a hurry... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've never been on one since... :eek: :p
  16. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    If your seious about learning to ride you should take a safety course . This will give you the basics of riding a motorcycle and they will provide you with one to ride during class. At least if you take the course before you buy you'll know what your getting into. Honda makes a great bike that will require little maintenance. The 919 has a ton of power on a light frame. I used to own a Honda VFR750 and I loved riding in the burbs but had too many close calls in the city. Its amazing how many people don't really pay attention when they drive.
  17. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Sounds like this thread needs someone with some experience and I do dare to say that I fit the need.

I have been riding bikes since I was 6 years old and got my first dirt bike. My teen years were filled with not doing my homework because I was out riding dirt bikes every night after school rain, snow it didn't matter. When I was 17 I got my first street bike. I am now 25 and have put over 200,000 miles on the street between the street bikes I have ridden. I also worked for a BMW motorcycle shop for 7 years and was Service Manager/Parts Manager/Technician for 5 of those years.

Okay now that I have tooted my own horn. I think the 919 is a perfect bike for someone who want to get into riding. I think maybe it is a hefty investment for basically a first bike but if that's what you want go for it. I often recommend someone get a used bike like an SV650 first and ride it. If you don't ride it much there is no reason to say you would ride the big bike much either and thus you have saved yourself a bundle. In any case the 919 is a much better choice for yourself then a 954 or RC51 would be as it was designed with more of a street purpose in mind where as the 2 bikes I mentioned are much more track oriented.
  18. bokdol macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    i have been riding for the past 4 years while i am not a pro i do consider myself a experienced rider. and i have to agree with macbandit the sv650 is a great bike to start.. especially if you can find a used one for a great price. you'll feel like crap if you bought one new only to drop it while learning to ride on it. i have had 2 bike a small but quick 250 ninja (my learning bike) and a yamaha yzf600r. if you like naked i would go sv650...
  19. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    yes absolutely! i mostly ride dirtbikes (i have a 2002 Honda XR200 R currently and will be buying a Quad for my husband soon, getting him a Raptor 660)
    girls love dirt too :D

we had a Ducati Monster (i think it was a 750) not too long ago, he's had other sport bikes as well but i can't remember what they were, it was before i knew him. we've had tons of off road vehicles so i'll spare you that list.

we're gearheads here :)
  20. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2004
    Missouri, USA
    im 18 years old. And my dad says im insane for wanting a motorcycle at my age. I REALLY want a CBR600rr in white and black. I know how powerful they are. And i went a looked at one a few weeks ago and i respect them even more after i sat on one. I couldn't believe how light it was. Compared to moving my dad's 800 Harley sportster that weights a ton. Being 18, he thinks i will take that CBR out and drive it like im in a super-sport race. I dont plan on doing this for a long time.

Is a 600RR so much for me at 18? Even with a few months on a smaller bike? Please dont crush my dreams to much.
  21. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...

q: what's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover vacuum?

a: the position of the dirtbag

(or, alternatively...)

a: you can fit two dirtbags on the Harley

...oh yeah!
  22. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    Only ever rode one once, ended up on the ground before i realised it was a dynamic throttle, hell i was 8. I also have the dubious honor of being rear ended in my car by one, just remember 4 wheels stops better in the wet than 2, i'm sure he does now to. Just remember assume the worst from everybody else on the road, this has saved me many times on my bicycle
  23. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    hehe, i'm off to my second driving lesson in an hour. Test on thursday. I'm doing all this on the school's CB500 as i don't have a bike yet. Considering my monetary situation and the fact i don't have any place to store the machine, it will probably be a while before i actually buy me one.
    I think my first one will be a used Transalp 650 (the CB is a tad small for my large (read tall ;) self), the bike i would like to ride is a Buell Ulysses. But if i would ride on that right now, i think i'd just kill myself.