Any mountaineers/rock-climbers in here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by whocares, Oct 20, 2003.

1. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I've always enjoyed a good hike in the mountains. Heck, I spent 3 years in the French Alps studying and got to know them quite well.

I started rock-climbing seriously last fall and real enjoy it. Right now working on 5.11 high-rope and 5.10 lead.

My dream (hopefully soon to come true) go back to Yosemite and spend some time backpacking the high Sierras taking photos and some time climbing some of those lovely fissured granites...

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I climb in the fall and spring at an outdoor man-made wall. We set different routes on it every once in a while, and boulder a bit. Its fun and pretty simple. Right now there is a 5.12B or maybe C that is pretty much impossible.

3. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

whocares

I'm climbing on "plastic" rock too right now.
    Once tried a 5.12 and got no further than 'bout a foot of the ground :p

4. Angelus macrumors 6502

I've been climbing indoors since last february.I love it to bits.
    I don't know anything about the grading of climbs but i'm leading a few specific colour routes.

5. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

whocares

Well, each country more or less has its own grading system. In the States it goes 5.5, 5.6 ... 5.13, 5.14 with the second number increasing with difficulty. 5.10 and above can be modified with a, b, c and d; again "higher" letters corresponding to more difficulty (5.12a > 5.11d but 5.11d>5.11c). God nows why there's always a five in front though :p
    French system is about the same but starts a 4 and goes up to 9, with a, b & c kicking in a 5. I know the UK have their own systems as does Italy, Russia, etc...

Have you got to climb outside? It's really much more fun as you can get much higher than indoors. Maybe it rains too much in Ireland :p

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Pretty much all indoors. Have done a few 5.10 top-ropes clean.

Had my first taste of outdoor rock in Oregon at Smith Rock. Was very happy not falling either day and did clean 10b & a 10c. Surely didn't expect to do that well. I've been told my rock-gym must be "padding?" their routes as these real-rock climbs were much easier than the 10s at the gym.

A rock gym's a great alternative to a regular gym. Infinitely more mentally stimulating and humbling.... - j

Also on my trip out west, we climbed Mt. Colchuck, camping out at its glacial lake before hitting the glacier around 5 a.m. What took us 5 hours to climb that day, we glissaded down in around 30 minutes, with only one minor axe wound to my brother (outta control brake hand) and a blow-out pair of pants for his friend (glacier felt like golf balls hitting your undercarriage). It was around a 40 degree incline at the worst and I had to do one self-arrest when I got going to fast. A wipe out would have been a loooooong tumble to the bottom...

7. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i do climb as well.
    i like fontainebleau and the frankenjura pretty much.
    dont know other dificutlies, hat those:
    best : 6c+ indoor
    best fontainebleau : 5b i know that s poor :)

8. Rye Brye macrumors newbie

Climbing in Utah

Climbing
    Over this past summer I started climbing in Utah. There are many sport climbs outside. I happened to be lucky with my climbing friends. Many of the people I am around are phenomenal climbers. (5.12's are not a problem for them, and they regularly climb 5.13's) - I'm only at 5.8's or 5.9's - and I just got a membership at the local climbing gym

climbing is some of the most fun you can have. Outdoors beats indoors hands down - especially where I am located. (In a 10 minute drive I am in Rock Canyon - with hundreds of bolted sport climbs. A 25 - 30 minute drive and I am in two other canyons with amazing climbs. If I want to expand that to 2 hours, I can have thousands of possible climbs to do in many different canyons) Utah is really a climbers heaven...

Another good place to go to find out more about rock climbing is the page at how stuff works.com

Here is a comparison of the different rating systems.

9. Angelus macrumors 6502

Well you're not wrong about the rain.
    i've yet to climb outside simply because i don't think i'd be strong enough for it yet.
    At the moment i'm focusing on increasing my muscle stamina by mainly doing alot of lead climbing. Having said that however,it's only in this last month that i've begun to start training hard again.
    Plus i got my 1st pair of climbing shoes this month,i think i pushed my cross trainers to the limit of what they can do.
    Still the shoes make a big difference.....5:10,They make you do things:)

10. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

whocares

Re: Climbing in Utah

Damn that sounds good :D
    Certainly better than SW Texas...

11. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

whocares

Climbing outside is no harder than climbing indoors. Bug a friend who's an experienced lead climber to set a head rope and you're of. The good thing outdoors is you can climb multiple lengths of rope or just single, as indoors.
    I actually started climbing outdoors. Last outdoor climbing I did was at Orpierre - French Alps.

12. whocares thread starter macrumors 65816

whocares

Know what you mean, that frozen snow can sure inflict a severe beating on one's rear-end :p

13. Chomolungma macrumors regular

I see we got 4 or 5 people in here

5 people out of ~1000 in here ain't bad, given that this is a weird website to discuss outdoor activity. I think most in here show an aversion to physical activity :D

Hueco Tanks, Taos and Sandia NF (westside) or just a few places availabe to us New Mexicans. My macrumor name does suggest more "mature" climbing, but I'm still young enough to enjoy Hueco Tanks (the world class climbers that you see here are unbelievable!).

Passing through this area and have time to spare? send me an email.