Any movie recommendations? (con't)

Discussion in 'Community' started by slipper, Jul 29, 2005.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

If you didnt see the other thread, i just got a netflix subscription. i have a million scary movies but i wouldnt mind a few in the other genres. Anyting from comedy such as dodgeball...drama such as coach carter...action movies such as the terminator...or whatever you can think of :D

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    as a longtime NF user, let me suggest one thing... pick a movie YOU thought was funny, and scroll down to the customer lists.. check those out, refresh the page, and you should get different ones (if there are enough)... once you find a list that has alot of movies you'd rate the same, try the ones that you haven't seen.
    usually, you'll get some good ones.
    adding friends also helps.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I would get...

Hoosiers
    Fight Club
    Shaun of the Dead

That is just based off of what you said that you like... :)

4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

These may not be up your alley...

Here are some of my favorites. They're not your usual fare, but I find the stories rather compelling.

Elling
    (Norway; subtitled) A wonderful and inspiring story about people adjusting to life changes.

Triplets of Belleville
    (France; animated; nearly no dialogue so limited subtitles) An odd story on its own, this film makes a bit more sense if you watch it as a French critique of America.

The Dinner Game
    (France; subtitled) Hilarious. The farcical humor survives the translation entirely.

Bend it Like Beckham
    (UK) While this indie made it pretty big, lots of folks haven't seen it. If not, this is a great story of the traditional and the modern, parents and children, and how people of different cultures interact. (While some say that the Hollywood ending is unrealistic, don't let that stop you -- this is a winner of a film!)

Monsoon Wedding
    (India; primarily English with some subtitles) A film about a wedding in India and the people that surround it. Personally, I enjoyed this film more that Bend it Like Beckham -- my favorite part is the side story about the wedding planner! A real masterpiece.

Barcelona
    (US) This 1994 film was Whit Stilman's second, between Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco, and far and away his best. It has all the human interplay of Metropolitan but none of the deadly slowness -- like stew versus broth. Two cousins who couldn't be more different are thrown together and temper each other's charachters. Brilliant.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
    (US) Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio. An intricate and touching story of people who come to terms with the realities of their lives. DiCaprio fully deserved the Acadamy Award nomination he got for this film, and, of course, Depp is stellar.

Happy Watching!

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

6. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

idea_hampster, all fantastic films that I would like to second. (I also like your formatting, so I stole it.)

Also, I thoroughly enjoyed the following.

Spring Summer Fall Winter & Spring (Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom)
    (Korean; Subtitled) A fantastic film about the development of self. Packed with surreal beauty.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    (US) Incredibly detailed and well made film. See it if only for Jim Carrey's stellar performance.

Lost In Translation
    (US) Strangely intruiging film about modern Japan and the meeting of two strangers.

Spinal Tap
    (US) For kicks. Anything made by the Christopher Guest crew is worth it's weight in solid gold.

7. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I would second that, it's an amazing film.

Also try The Parole Officer, another hilarious comedy.

::20ROGERSC::

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

9. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Cool! I feel so part of the open-source movement! :D

Oh, Yes! A brilliant piece of work -- especially if you have any affinity or familiarity with Buddhism. Well worth it at any size, but makes for great viewing on a larger screen TV.