Any new buys?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nybombers142, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Nybombers142 macrumors member

Mar 25, 2004
    Anybody out there recently recieved a new powrbook or iBook and wantto give their 2 cents?
  2. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    I bought one 8 days ago (15" PB) and love it. The transition from PC to Mac was harmless. The only thing that I really dislike is the battery life. The laptop I was originally going to purchase was a Sony that had an optional battery for 10hrs. between charges. This 2.5hrs. is annoying, so I hope an optional battery could be made to compensate. Other than that, I have no complaints about it. I love my PB. I love Apple.
  3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    I ordered a new 15" PB BTO on March 16th and received it on March 23rd. It replaced a Pismo, and makes the Pismo seem just a little bit dowdy....and VERY slow. The new one seems terrific so far--the only quibble I had was the trackpad seemed erratic. I finally figured out that static electricity was causing the problem (fairly common in Colorado, being so dry).

I've got it set up with the faster HD and with a Gb of RAM (512 single stick from Apple, 512 from OWC) and it is terrific. I'm waiting on a miniDV camcorder so I can start using iMovie, and on my Nikon 4300 to start using iPhoto again.

Overall, I've been pleased. I thought about waiting, but figured life is short, and I could be waiting a LONG time for updates....and so took the plunge.

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I learned a new word :D

Lacking stylishness or neatness; shabby: a dowdy gray outfit.
    Old-fashioned; antiquated.

Congratulations on your new PowerBook. I've been very tempted to buy one as well to replace an aging Pismo. I've decided that since I've stuck it out this long, I can wait a few more months (hopefully I won't be waiting into 2005...)
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I've had my PB for a while now, but I remember when I got it just like yesterday........ I came home to find this beautiful package in my room. As I opened it, a bright light shown down from above me, and I could hear the sounds of harps playing. It was a beautiful moment. :D
  6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    Always glad to be of service...... ;)

Thanks! I'm enjoying it--just have to remember to ground myself before touching it! I've had the Pismo about 3 years, and it has been terrific. I figured that G5 PBs won't be coming out soon, that they won't offer an enormous performance advantage over the one I got, and that the first Rev A's are more likely to be buggy. So I figure I'll get one of the first Rev B G5s--and hopefully by then I'll be able to afford it, since I graduate law school in December.

7. vgurl macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2004
    da Bronx
    I wish I had my .2 cents to throw in here but unfortunately I can't. :(

The 1st Powerbook that I got from Compusa was defective so I returned it & got another one which looked used to me. The salesman insisted it was new so against my intuition I took it only to discover that it had indeed been used. (When I powered it up, it didn't power up to the configuration setup & when I went into Finder I found the previous person's registration info. I tried calling him to find out why he returned the thing but kept getting his voicemail). So now, they're supposedly going to send me a replacement from a Compusa in Paramus, NJ. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm (fingers crossed)! But there seems to be a definite shortage of Powerbooks in the city. When I checked on their website for availability, there were none to be found in NY/NJ.

The only reason I'm enduring all this torment is cuz I got a great discount from someone who works at Compusa otherwise I definitely would've waited for what looks like an imminent update. Oh well.......sorry guys just had to vent. Hopefully, I'll get my Powerbook tomorrow or Wednesday & then I can post my thoughts (which I promise won't be as lengthy as this post!).
  8. fBaran macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    Not exactly new (last Friday of February). I got a 12" iBook from the Apple Sotre in Jersey (near Elizabeth). Drove all the way from Queens to save on the taxes (6% instead of 8.65%). I got a 512mb stick from Crucial, and could not be happier. I get 4.5 hours of battery life doing my saily routine (iTunes in bg, Safari, Mail, iCal), and the portability, my GOD the portability. Fits in the bookbag, and I run around all day! Not like my previous ThinkPad A31 (9lbs!!). The student discount made me get it, knowing that if I waited longer the new ones may comes out (I guess the summer), and then I'd get screwed like with my iPod (got it the first day it came out) and the HD crapped out. But I must say that the iBook is most liekyl the best computer I've ever owned!
  9. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    You'll have to wait till Friday to get my $.02, but I'm expecting the harps, choir, and all the rest! :D

(My wife may also stop looking at me like :rolleyes: ; wondering when I'm finally going to buy a computer months after saying, "I'm going to buy a computer!")
  10. JasonL macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA
    I've noticed that with mine as well. I also noticed that it was typically when my hands were very dry (as mine tend to be in the winter). No other issues, though. I love this machine!