any news for a new Mac AOL??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shadowspirit6, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Shadowspirit6 macrumors regular

I downloaded and tried the AOL for the Mac. I noticed that there wasnt a UB patch for it, when i first downloaded it. When i tried it, i think we got jipped from what i used to see on a xp computer. There wasnt that many features than that on xp. Some of the AOL-specific content wouldnt load or would just stop leaving blank pictures/pages. Did AOL just want a smaller version of aol to go on the Mac?!?! Is there going to be a UB version of AOL, or at least a new version one any time soon?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Use iChat or Adium with AOL :) I chat is pre-installed on all Macs and Adium can be found here http://www.adiumx.com/

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

AOL is freeing up their client, i don't know if they will have any more motivation to develop another client for Mac.

4. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Are you talking about the AOL web browsing client or the AOL Instant Messenger product?

AOL is coming out with a new web browser client, and I believe it's currently in beta (http://beta.aol.com I believe).

For instant messenger, iChat or Adium are probably your best choices. I myself use iChat and like it better than the Windows AIM client.

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

OP was talking about AOL. its integrated IM web, email, etc, etc, used to cost $$$
    [​IMG]

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

no. there hasnt been a new client since 2004, and that was just a minor update. AOL Chesire is now out for mac and incorporates much of what AOL for mac has, including web, IM, mail, and AOL Radio. i can almost promise there wont be another AOL for mac, since most of us have moved to broadband and AOL has freed up their service.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

actually, cheshire is a decent combo, with radio, mail, browser, picture service and IM. so if OP want to try anything from AOL, go for cheshire.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My advice would be to steer clear of AOL on both a Mac and PC. It has totally spannered any computer I was foolish enough to install it on. It seems like some kind satan spawn that just wraps itself around everything and if you uninstall it other stuff then fails to work. Complete PITA.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I totally agree with u on AOL for windows, any products from AOL will force u install a bunch of stuff that are hard to get rid of.

For mac version, Im not sure, since i just used it for 1 day, do u have any hint?

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

After I installed it on two of my Macs, one OS9 the other OSX, thats when I started getting loads of errors and problems. So i tried uninstalling and the erros just got worse so I ended up doing a total reinstall of OS on both. I guess I should of learnt from it happening twice when I had my PC but I thought it was just Windows being lame.

I cant remember exactly what the errors were or what versions of AOL etc were as it was a few years ago. I left the dark side in 1999 (because Windows was lame). :D

12. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Agreed. AOL outlived it's usefulness, effective 1998

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, so far, cheshire looks find, but, yeah, I will hold my judgment for now, AOL is still a untrustworthy brand for me, for now.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Go with AOL Cheshire. It is little more than a launcher for several separate AOL and Apple apps. These include an email client which uses the Mail frameworks, iChat, a presumeably WebKit-based browser, AOL Radio, and AOL Pictures. The latter two apps are standalone apps which are also available as separate downloads. Mail is perfectly capable of handling your AOL mail on its own. Safari and every other browser can access your AOL-exclusive web content. The bottomline has two parts: You don't really need Cheshire, but it can't hurt your computer any more than iChat or Safari, assertions by other parties notwithstanding.