Any News on Half Life 2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by deadfrog, Dec 26, 2004.

1. deadfrog macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    UK / Bournemouth

just wondering if anyone had any news on half life 2 for the mac, heard some nasty rumors they aint even attempting it, is this true?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    The people who made the physics engine didn't make an SDK for Mac so HL2 Mac is looking less and less likely. Sad really, it's a great game on PC.
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    And another problem is Valve wants a huge amount of cash for a license to port the game. Tell Valve to f- off!

However, the Havok physics engine really needs to get ported soon. Just about every game coming out for the PC currently and the next year or so is using the Havok engine. No port of that means no port of future games for the Mac. :(
  4. mcarvin macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    Southern NJ
    Not to mention that Valve has no intentions of porting their Steam service over to OS X, so you could say that you won't be seeing anything from Valve over on our side.

Oh, and now that GameSpy is hitting up Mac devs for license fees equal to PC devs, don't hold your hopes up for mainstream multiplayers until it gets resolved.
  5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    That whole thing is pretty assinine... some other company needs to step up and compete with GameSpy in terms of Mac and PC internet gaming. Would be pretty slick to see something that also has console tunneling services built in as well.
  6. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    The All Seeing Eye is pretty popular over on the PC side. They should port that to the Mac. GameSpy sucks, even on the PC.
  7. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Even if they did port it, it would be a half ass port and would bring dual G5's to its knees. As long as Direct X is the main coding engine will tend be left in the dark game after game.

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    WHY OH WHY don't Apple themselves just stop in?

Yes iPods are good for buisness, BUT SO ARE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why dosn't an Apple journo ask Steve this question?
  9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    they arnt the same they were the same but they raised the pc version a little more than it was but upped it allot for mac trying to dump the mac market
  10. mcarvin macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    Southern NJ
    Ryan Gordon said in his .plan that plans are underway to re-enable cross-platform gaming. That being said, nobody really knows when or how that's going to happen.

Yes, it reeks of stinkitude

OK, so we're pretty much saying the same thing - GameSpy is making Mac devs pay a license fee _much much closer_ to what PC devs pay, even though the Mac gaming market is a tiny sliver the whole pie.
  11. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    pretty much :)
  12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    FWIW if the pc is not your thing(I won't get one just for games) the ver. for XBOX should be out in FEB. around Valintines Day (hint to my girlfriend).
    Even if its not as fast as the pc I do enjoy a larger screen view :D
  13. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    HL2 really shines at higher resolutions...and I'll be surprised if xbox can handle it at dx8.0-level quality at just won't be the same.

Where did you hear that it's coming out in February for xbox? Last I heard (a week ago), there is no ETA, official or otherwise, for the xbox version. It's still "when it's done."
  14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    I'm not sure the date was correct, mid to late Feb. but a friend/manager(of a game store) showed me a list of dates that games would be coming out and HL2 was there along with Doom3.
    His lists are usually within 2wks of when they come out(well for the last 2 years now anyway) ;) Only 2 games have been moved back that I can think of off hand.
    After I pick up MechAssault2 in the AM I'll see if he still has a list with the dates.
  15. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    I've got a friend who runs an EB store, and he's been told that dates for xbox versions of HL2 and Doom 3 are still up in the air. Doom 3 is likely to appear in late Feb/March, but it's still not done, so it could (and probably will, knowing id, change).

Valve isn't reliable for any release date.
  16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I swear, half these PC people don't want mac users playing games.
  17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    Just to update on hl2 (for xbox), date for ship if ordered is 2/8 from the Walmart site as a friend of mine (works for Game Stop) said HL2 and Doom3 got pushed back to march. Not sure why orders are still showing a Feb. date then unless preorders will ship first. :confused:
  18. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

Jan 13, 2005
    The one thing getting in the way of buying a Mac

If there were more new games available for Mac, then I wouldn't have any problem investing in a new 15" powerbook superdrive. Until that time, Macs will never be an 'all in one' personal computing experience (IMHO). There's iTunes, iMovie, iSync, but iWannaPlayGames! Well there's always chess I suppose...

Instead I'm having to cast my eyes on an S-series laptop from Sony.
  19. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    yeah. if you feel you need some humbling, play Chess.
  20. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    yeah, Battle Chess ;)

21. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Most of you have probably already seen this, and it probably won't do much good, but here's a HL2 for Mac petition I started a while ago (way back in 2003!) :eek: (5911 signatures so far).

Please ignore the comment about using OpenGL - Valve hadn't announced the DirectX-ness of HL2 back when I wrote it :(
  22. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    5917 ;)
  23. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i really wouldnt bother playing HL 2 on the mac anyway, the video cards on the machines (anything other than the high end powermac) cant really cope, at least if you want top performance
  24. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    My question is why oh why doesn't Apple come up with something to take on Direct X? We all know that Apple beats the pants off MS on software. It stands to reason that Apple could write a superior piece of software to Direct X. I realize that games aren't Apples #1 priority. However, with the Mac Mini coming out it seems that Apple is more interested in market share. Therefore, they should go after some of the gaming market too.
  25. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America
    That's a pretty bold statement. It's a matter of preference. I suggest you use words like "I think" or "Most Mac users think" or "I believe" when you state your opnion on something you can't prove. Don't tell us what "we all know".