Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You don't seem to understand the benefit of TRIM. No matter what SSD you use, performance will drop (sometimes significantly) over time. TRIM eliminates this and it needs hardware and OS support. Intel and Indilinx have done their part on the hardware side. Microsoft has done it's part on the software side with Windows 7. The question is when will Apple do the same with OS X.

"TRIM eliminates this" is highly exaggerated. Here is what really happens: Performance of an SSD drive goes down as the drive gets filled (there are other factors as well, but that is an important one). When the operating system deletes a file, TRIM tells the SSD drive that this part of the drive is actually unused, so you get the benefit of the reduced storage use. Without TRIM, the SSD drive doesn't actually know that the space for the file is now free.

However, as soon as a new file is created and reuses the space occupied by the previous file, we have the same situation with or without TRIM. So there will be scenarios where TRIM helps, and scenarios where it doesn't help. Say you have a 128 GB drive. You fill 120 GB with data (which makes it slower), then you delete 60 GB. With TRIM you get the speed back, without TRIM you don't. However, if you add another 60 GB, you are back at the same speed, with or without TRIM.

JGO

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Thank you Antiram

BIG THANKS to Antiram.

I have tried to recover degraded performance on my Intel G2 - tried the "diglloyd tool" and it did very little and I paid for that!

Just followed the instructions given by Antiram and it completely restored the lost performance!

I noticed that 9.36 can't be used on a resized file system. What if I have a disk that was partitioned using the Disk Utility (three partitions - one is a windows install) and not resized with bootcamp - would it be OK to use 9.36 on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.