Any Norristown, PA people here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mcarvin, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mcarvin macrumors regular

I'm considering taking a position in Norristown, PA and was wondering about local transit service. From my home, I can take NJ Transit into 30th Street or Suburban Station then hook up with the R6 to Norristown. The problem is that the office is on the other side of town from the Trans. Center.

So, does Norristown have local bus service? I'd drive in, but those in the Philly area are well familiar with the Schyukill, 422, 202 and Trooper Road.

Thanks guys,
    Michael

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Check the septa bus schudule. I'm not sure if septa will go your route, but I know then go to and from Norristown at least.

3. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

I did go through the SEPTA website, but I didn't see (or couldn't find) lines that didn't involve heading back to Philly. For example, here in SJ we have buses that run circuits between Deptford and Cherry Hill Malls, and Lindenwold Station to Camden County College (my neighborhood).

Ideally, the Norristown line I'd take would go from the Trans. Center to Valley Forge Nat'l Park area - this place is just off the eastern border of the park.

I had an idea where I'd commute by train to Norristown Center, but leave my car parked there overnight then just drive across town. I worked with people who did that at Princeton Junction station commuting from Manhattan and it worked for them.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Norristown is about 20 mins from my house, but I don't know it that well other than passing though it by car. I can tell you that there are not too many local busses in the Philly area because of septa, so I wouldn't hold your breath for one. Have you tried calling the place you are going? They would probably have a better idea.

5. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm heading over there tomorrow for another meeting with them, and I think I'll check out the Trans. Center to see what, if any, bus service covers that part of town.

Thanks grapes, I appreciate it.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No problem, I just wish I could have been more helpful.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can take the Market-Frankford line to 69th street and take the route 100 "high-speed" line to the Norristown transportation center, which also takes you through Radnor and Conshohocken.

There are a few buses, mainly up/down U.S. 202 and the route 98 bus west toward Trooper/West Norriton.

8. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

That's an option, but it's also a ton of transfers. Your idea would go like:
    - Lindenwold PATCO to 8th & Market >
    - 8th & Market to 69th Street via the El >
    - 69th Street to Norristown TC via the 100 >
    - Norristown TC to Trooper via the 98?

I was thinking NJ Trans from Lindenwold to 30th Street, then the R6 rail to Norristown TC. But if that Route 98 line goes even within half a mile of the office, then I'm all over it. (edit: Just gave septa.org another lookover and found that the 131 goes within a couple hundred feet of the office)

Thanks very much to both of you for the suggestions.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I can tell you that any regional rail line is expensive. The El and route 100 are relatively cheap although I think you will need a zone 1 pass to use the route 98 bus to Trooper Road via Egypt Road. It's been around 12 years since I lived there and almost exactly 8 years since I lived anywhere around Philly so I don't remember the zone changes that well. You can always call the route helper line, if it's still there. :D

10. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just doing the math on things now, and your suggestion is the best. The total time is going to be a little under 2 hours. I need to get firm prices from SEPTA, but the proper combination of monthly passes is going to be about $150, plus another $98 to PATCO to get me from home to 8th & Market.

By the way, SEPTA's "Plan my route" is the most a$$ service I've ever used. It said there were no routes from 30th St. Station to 69th Street. I felt like screaming "Dude, the d-mn El is a straight shot!"

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

ugh...

Glad I work and live in Center City...

Okay.. I'm in SOUTH Philly, but I CAN walk to work in CC.. (or take the Broad Street Line... or the bus... or my Xootr)..

Good lyuck...

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It said? They had people doing it when I last called. I think if you had said 15th or 8th street instead of 30th street, it would have figured it correctly since the 30th street Septa station and the 30th street Amtrak station don't meet. Still, it should work be set up to tell you that.

I hope they finally put some sidewalks out where you're going to be working. It used to be really sloppy.

13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Heh! Yes I know those roads very, very well. It would almost be easier to move out that way and not deal with it. Why do you want to stay in South Jersey anyways? Are you anywhere near Sewell? Luckily, I only have to commute to Moorestown and the only traffic issues that I need to deal with is the 55 to 42 to 295 interchange.

Hickman

14. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

Blackwood U. is my neighbor around the corner. And moving out to the western burbs isn't an option right now - maybe next year.

Got any web opportunities in Moorestown?

15. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

How is this:

Requisition Number:

Date Posted:
    12/3/2004

Job Title:
    Multimedia Design Engr

Salary Grade:
    E2J

Salary Range:
    --INFORMATION Removed--

Job Class:
    Product Support

Job Designation:
    EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL

Description:
    Specific Description
    Responsible to the e-Media Products Manager as a Multimedia Design Engineer. Designs computer graphics and programs multimedia applications for both CD-ROM and web-based delivery.
    1. Must be a motivated self-starter that is able to multi-task and work within deadlines.
    2. Must be able to smoothly transition between graphic art work and programming multimedia.
    3. Must be familiar with database and object-oriented environments.
    4. At least 2 years of experience with the following programming languages: HTML, JAVA Script, Action Script and LINGO. Server-side scripting a plus.
    5. At lease 3 years working with the following software packages: Flash, Director, Dreamweaver, PhotoShop, Illustrator. 3D Studio Max a plus.
    6. At least 1 year of experience working in a multimedia team.

General Position Description
    Designs and develops multimedia applications, systems and products involving computer graphics and interactive computing such as computer-based systems for personal computers or CD-ROM applications. Incorporates software applications in multiple technology media systems, such as graphics, animation, text, and sound.
    Typical Minimum Education
    Bachelors degree from an accredited college in related discipline with 2 years of professional experience; or 0 years of experience with related Masters degree. Considered experienced, but still a learner.

Business Unit:
    MS2

Business Area:
    ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS

Manager:
    Robert Eagle

Department:
    Surface Systems Prog Fin

Relocation:
    NO

Clearance Required:
    SECRET

Work Week:
    M-F

Requisition Type:
    FULL-TIME

Direct/Indirect:
    DIRECT

Work Shift:
    First

16. mcarvin thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa. I'm dropping you a PM.

17. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I am sure that I will be contacted by a few local residents because of this. I can put in a recommendation/referral if people send me resumes. :)

Hickman