Any of you using a Japanese keyboard?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by patent10021, Oct 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

patent10021

Been using the Japanese Apple wireless keyboard for a while as it's nice and easy to switch languages with one click. However now that I'm using LR/PS and Logic more I'm finding that I'm in key command hell. You can't use the standard shortcuts with (option-F-number) because the f key is located on the right and the option key is on the left. US keyboard has both on the left.

I have to either buy a US keyboard or reassign all the standard commands that all these apps use.

Any of you using a Japanese keyboard?

2. macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Ha! I've actually been looking for a japanese apple keyboard for ages and now that it is sold on the US Apple store I'm undecided.

I'm on a spanish keyboard with english layout and kana input for the past 3 years and I'm doing fine, I guess it's because I don't look at the keyboard that much.

The spanish key placement is similar to the US so that remapping and setting to US layout hasn't been a trouble.

3. macrumors regular

I used a Japanese keyboard for over 4 years before I accidently stumbled upon an American Apple Keyboard at a local store here where I live. After using the Japanese keyboard for 4 years, I had gotten used to the Japanese layout and it was tough to go back to the American one. On a Japanese keyboard, the "@" symbol, the apostrophe, and the question mark were very difficult for me to get used to. Most of all, I hated the smaller space bar on a Japanese keyboard. Once you get used to it, it isn't that bad but occasionally I forget which one I'm using.

4. macrumors member

Older may be better

An older Japanese keyboard, with the numeric pad on the right side, might work better for you if you can find one. There is a second "option" key on the right, next to caps-lock; and, the fn-key is at the top, between the regular and numeric keys.

Attached Files:

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

patent10021

Hey guys.

It's ok, I made a compromise. I bought another wireless keyboard this time US :D

The compromise is that now the function key is where it should be for graphic design (together with the other short cut keys), but now I have to click two keys instead of one to switch between J/E. No biggy. The US keyboard is WAY better for audio, graphics, video apps. I guess that's why so many Japanese creatives use US keyboards.

I can still use my other Japanese wireless keyboard for iPad and other uses.