Any one here not liberal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by windowsblowsass, Mar 7, 2004.

1. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

macrumurs is starting to seem overwhelming liberal if there any other conservative republicans here please post thank you

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Blah blah blah liberal snakepit blah blah blah. I guess it's time for the monthly "too many liberals here" complaint.

Someone just kill this thread now.

3. windowsblowsass thread starter macrumors 6502a

just wandering i dont want to have to try and fight off an entire site off democrats in the political forums by ny self so just calm down its just a simple question

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, you're stereotyping. First it's "liberals" now it's "democrats."

We are who we are and we think what we think.

No one goes around wearing a "liberal democrat," "moderate," or "religious nut" nametag all day and the same is true here. Some are left-leaning, others right, but the simple fact is that all of us vary from issue to issue. If you argue with facts, logic and evidence and put together coherent sentences, you'll be respected and add to the conversation. If you don't, you'll be promptly chewed up and spit out when you fail to verify your claims.

And you could have answered this question for yourself if you'd simply lurked for a few weeks or gone back through a few weeks or months of posts.

5. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

To answer your question without getting mad or defensive, this is a primarily liberal board/community, although you will find the occasional more conservative poster (most often with regards to financial matters and taxation).

It hasn't always been this way - the tides of politics tend to come and go, and back about a year ago conservative posts dominated the discussion.

I'll also ad that the spirit of debate here has for the most part come and gone, and fewer and fewer threads are now "catching a bite" if you will - not as many are developing into spirited discussions.

I frankly, think this is a bit of a bummer. You will find here a group of people who is who they is and who thinks what they thinks, and that's great, but the true tides of opposition have slowly been leaking away. A typical thread now consists of a link to an article, a couple of sarcastic comments, or "dude, that sucks!" complaints, then nothing much after.

Davis

6. toontra macrumors 6502

This may be explained by the fact that almost all the arguments put forward by the "anti-war liberal" brigade a year ago have since largly been substantiated by events!

That being the case, rather than repeating all the arguments, a simple link to an article describing an event or cause which was predicted is a mighty effective way of proving your point.

This may also explain why almost all the pro-war members who were posting here so regularly here a year ago have vanished into thin air! ;)

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

my political perspective is very much issue dependent. I'm very totalitarian

8. windowsblowsass thread starter macrumors 6502a

having just discovered the political forums i was wondering if anyone everuses a legitamte argument or if they all just say bush blows over and over (like every liberal at my school)
    ps before someone has a hisssy fit im not saying people here do that im just trying to see b/c if it is generally a whine fest im not going to be in here much

9. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

Don't let the first response or two to your original question taint your view of the boards - most arguments here don't usually regress to the "blah blah blah...kill this thread it's worthless" type of discussion stifiling comments.

You will definitely come up against some very well articulated, heavily backed up and well thought-out responses to conflicts of opinion, most of which will be in some ways left-leaning, though not all. And of course you'll see comments like the ones you've already witnessed, on both sides, meant to stifle debate more than to encourage it, but you just got to ignore those and respond to the others.

Stick around, though, please please please please - I am a bored, bored liberal leaner in need of some conservative opposition.

Davis

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm generally conservative, although on some issues I range from neutral to liberal in my views. Certainly a fiscal conservative. While I feel strongly about certain issues, I don't tend to get all that excited. Lotsa "BTDT" for us Certified Old Farts. :)

'Rat

11. bonehead macrumors regular

There are plenty of conservatives on this board. They just seem to not post very much on the political forums. As DavisBAnimal said, a year ago or more the boards were heavily conservative.

People arrive at their political opinions in a myriad of ways, how did you come to be conservative Windows? FYI I'm fairly liberal and I respect the right to have and express different views, I'm just curious.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm rather conservative when I beat Democrats, otherwise the yelling and screaming gets rather annoying.

And trying to get the blood out of the leather isn't worth the effort.

Of course it is rather fun.

---

But those liberal democrats sure are messing up the sexual mores of the US.

Where do they come up with these odd ideas, where a blowjob isn't sex?

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not sure I get the definitions of liberal and conservative anymore (if there was ever anything to get), but if you use the war in Iraq as an example, a year or more ago it was impossible to even question the Bush administration in these parts without being beaten silly with a flag pole. Most if not all of the posters who were so vociferous in their support of the war and merciless in attacking its critics are gone now, though a few reappear from time to time under new screen names and then generally vanish again fairly quickly. Personally, I think they get discouraged because this forum isn't like talk radio. It isn't enough to call somebody a name and hang up. I'm impressed by the number of regulars in the section who know their stuff and have given more then passing thought to important issues. That's why I come back -- not for an argument necessarily, because you can get that anywhere, but because the regulars here are thoughtful and interesting people, and I often learn something from them.

In short, I'd like to think you won't be graded by other forum members on your point of view, but on how well you express it.

14. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I'm pretty moderate myself, but i'm not a big fan of Bush, so you won't get any help from me there, sorry I voted for McCain last time in the primary and Gore in the election :)

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

He was asking a legitimate question and didn't do so in any kind of attacking way and you responded to it in the most anal-retentive manner possible. I sincerely hope the only reason your being such a jerk is because you had a bad day, but speaking as someone who had a bad week, grow up, its time to not be so arrogant. Try and be friendly once and a while.

With that said, welcome to the party windowsblowsass. You'll find a fair amount of people here who actually read what you say and respond fairly even if they disagree, DavisBAnimal and I disagree on some issues but I have nothing but respect for the way he acts on the boards towards everyone. As you have seen some people are not so enlightened but don't let that stop you. Stand up for your beliefs, post well thought out and supported arguments, and be open to change. I've actually changed my op on a few things thanks to thoughtful arguments by people here on these boards.

16. windowsblowsass thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the input it seems like theres at least a few people who know you need to argue a point and not just whine

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nice use of irony. i look forward to your well-reasoned, fact-based positions.

18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i consider myself an independent. i abhor bush and his policies but would have voted for mccain had he been nominated in 2000...we'd certainly not be in the quagmire we're in now if mccain had been at the helm.

it's funny that many will label those against bush as liberals or left wingers... the reality is i vote for who i think will do the best job, who will line their pockets the least and who will balance the govt's checkbook the best.

if being a free thinker excludes someone from a political party..that's a problem. it also reflects poorly on that party's ability to address the current issues.

19. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I don't think being a free-thinker can exclude you from being "liberal" or "conservative" - those are just adjectives (people should really shy away from using them as nouns). You can be a free, independent thinker and still be liberal or still be conservative. I, personally, consider myself a free thinker. But being someone who freely believes in the rights of gays to marry, freely supports government funded social programs, would like to see a system of universal health care, is freely a pacifist by nature, supports an increased role of the government in preserving our environment, is against the death penalty, I don't hesistate to call myself liberal.

I get annoyed when Bill O'Reilly gets mad at people for calling him conservative. "I think independantly" he says. And while that is true - Bill's certainly iconoclastic and not completely partisan - that's really not an argument against someone calling him conservative. Bill's views on foreign policy, etc., are conservative views. And there's nothing wrong that, and being honest about it doesn't change your status as a free thinker.

It's a sad state of political affairs when the words "liberal" and "conservative" are given such ultimate weight as nouns that people feel like using the words as adjectives immediately dictates all of their opinions. Stupid partisanship!

Davis

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You haven't been around here long enough to see the frequency of the arguments that simply degrade into "you're all liberals and it's too liberal here and I'm sick of this" after someone's poor argument is quickly beaten to death with facts and logic by the regulars.

As I see it, mr. windows. is in here one day and has already come to this conclusion. His question of whether this place is liberal was rhetorical.

21. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

I'm a republican, but I tend to be pretty liberal. I don't have a definite view on politics, but I'd say you've got one more conservative on your side.

22. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I've been a lurker here for quite some time, it is only recently i decided to start posting, and I have seen both sides act that way, so don't try and claim that its only conservatives who act childish, frankly your response to the first posts are prime examples that thats not true.

As for whether his question was rhetorical or not, I personally didn't see it as such. And unless I am given an indication it was I am going to assume it was a real question. His follow up posts certainly made it seem like he was interested in the answer. Next time stop trying to declare what he was thinking or saying.

23. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

You can put me down as a conservative republican.

I usually don't post in the political forums though.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Funny how all this labelling varies during the years. In 1980, a major issue was whether or not the U.S. should play GloboRoboCop. The Kennedy supporters were vehemently opposed. "Liberal Democrats", right? So along comes Clinton and we go into the Balkans big time, and shoot Cruise missiles into Afghanistan.

During the time of the Sandinista regime in Nicaragua, much of the opposition to Reagan's policies from Democrats in Congress and liberals in general invoked "national sovereignty". Now, I note that some of the more liberal posters on this board advocate international trade policies which would subordinate national sovereignty to other countries' desires.

I don't see any Republican--or Conservative--advocating starvation for the poor, regardless of rhetoric from some Democrats in Congress. The "Liberal vs. Conservative" argument is over how the poor should be protected against starvation. In general, the liberal view is for tax-paid programs. IOW, the goal is less the issue that the way to achieve it.

Two things, I guess. First, I agree that using political labels in a cast-in-concrete way just doesn't work. But, second, using labels is quite convenient in discussions in order to save hair-splitting second- or third-order definitions requiring a lot of use of the word "some".

Snap judgements don't help. For instance, I have a strongly negative attitude about large-scale behavior which leads to the number of abortions we have each year in this country. Am I a Conservative? I believe a woman has a right to have an abortion if she and her doctor are in accord. Am I a Liberal?

I believe in the NRA interpretation of the Second Amendment. Am I a Conservative? I believe the First Amendment allows one to wear a US flag patch on the seat of his jeans. Am I a Liberal? And what would it mean were I to firmly plant the toe of my boot in the middle of that flag?

:D, 'Rat

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, you're barking up the wrong tree here, I'm an independant progressive and proud of it. (Note, that does NOT automatically translate to democrat. Common mistake.)

I find the irony of your name highly amusing though. For someone who want's, nay comes in here and demands, a fair airing of the views on all sides, you have a very one-sided name. I happen to use windows, so please stop whining about it.;)