any one uses macbook in clamshell mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hummin, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Hummin macrumors newbie

wondering if the macbook is usable (for many hours) in clamshell mode ,
    lid closed and external monitor + keyboard.

it' has heat problem due to the closed lid or still usable with no problems ?

thanks a lot if any user experimented that

bye

2. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i leave mine plugged into a dell 24" (1920x1200) most all of the time unless i'm going somewhere and need my mb with me. sometimes it'll go for most of a week just in clamshell mode (mostly on and some sleep).

works beautifully!

3. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't, most of the air intake is through the keyboard. Close the lid will cover the keyboard.

4. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Mines been running like that for a couple of weeks now.
    No issues. CPU temp of 60C. Yes the keyboard is warm... but nothing more than warm. Heat vents through rear slots.

5. andrewmulligan macrumors member

the MacBook (unlike the iBook) was designed to run in Clamshell mode so don't fret. :)

6. dan7592 macrumors regular

7. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Works fine for me. I connect to my desktop LCD and keyboard for weekend-long use with the lid shut. No problems and the fan stays at the normal levels.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's with the iBook, but not the Macbook.

9. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I just got an acd how do i set the computer to work in clamshell mode, and can i set it so it recognizes that it should run in clamsehll mode only when it's connected to the acd and sleep mode when not?

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Just close the lid to make it sleep. Then wake it up via a wireless keyboard or mouse, BAM! its in clamshell mode.

The air vents out from the back, not through the keyboard so it's okay to use the macbook in clamshell mode.

11. mashinhead macrumors 68020

so can i use the cd drive with it in clamshell? also the color on my display, i did by it used i think its the old revision, looks a little saturated and grainy.

I used to have a twenty that was the old reviison, but i don't remember it looking like this, maybe the mb display has spoiled me.

also where do you go to check the serial number of the product to see if it is still eligible for applecare?

12. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

13. bibbyjai macrumors newbie

So basically it's fine to close the clamshell, watch movies running the DVD rom for 3-4 hrs STRAIGHT...it should be fine right?

14. greenparty macrumors newbie

while you're on the subject, my temperature widgets and activity monitor show a blank on the temperature indicator. I haven't been able to find out what the temperature is of my cpu since i got the macbook 2 weeks ago. Is this a problem I should be worried about?

15. ForeverUnknown macrumors regular

What widget are you using?

Try SMCFanControl for temps.

16. macbookprouser macrumors member

mine runs for hours just fine, it does get hot on the bottom though.

17. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

Hmm, well I kinda have some bad news :(

I use my macbook in clamshell mode, along with my 19'' monitor. Tonight I was cleaning my screen and there seems to be a tiny gap between the case and the screen on the left hand corner. It's as if the plastic is bending up because of the heat, and separating from the screen. It might be hard to notice at first, but you're able to see it if you tilt the screen.

Has this happened to anyone else? and also, what can I do to fix this problem? :eek:

18. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

I have been using mine in clamshell mode since the button below my trackpad is messed up.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i've been running in clamshell mode since i bought it last month. every now and then i'll open the lid just to make sure everything's working.

20. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Anyone run clam shell mode in WINDOWS? How do you do this?

21. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

sounds like it may be an apple store problem.
    since it is so small and you really have to look for it, could it have been there before and not be a clamshell effect?

22. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

I'm pretty sure this happened because I was using it in clamshell mode. I've only been using it in clamshell mode for two weeks, and I worried about the heat being so close to the screen. It's a small gap but still very annoying. Oh and what do you mean this is an apple store problem? :eek:

23. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

just that if your mb is melting, you should take it into the apple store for diagnostics and repair. it's obviously not normal for your mb to melt while in an authorized mode. clamshell mode is a supported feature that shouldn't do any harm to your mb, so if it's melting your mb there is something definitely wrong with either your logic board or battery or powerbrick.

24. Elphaba macrumors regular

Elphaba

Oh ok, thanks. I'll try to go tonight, hopefully they'll be able to help me :)

25. mashinhead macrumors 68020

was this with a macbook or a mbpro cause those aluminum cases warp all th time. My macbook gets so hot that it started to chip the finish on the desk where i put it, albeit an ikea desk, but still. I don't know if i want a faster processor anymore, i might have to travel with a fire extinguisher too.;)