Any online places to get the 2 w/o tax?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freeman727, Mar 5, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I see a lot of places to get the iPad 1 without tax but none of them are advertising the iPad 2. Do you think places like powermax.com, vanns.com and abt.com will carry the iPad 2 on launch day?

2. macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

There are places that sell the iPad without taxes??

3. macrumors 603

Specific to the US, any online retailer without a presence in your state would not charge you sales tax. Amazon, Macmall, BH Photo, J&R, and others -- depending on where you are.

As to whether they'd have them on the 11th or whether you'd have to wait is another matter.

Also, technically most (?) states would say that if you don't pay sales tax to the vendor you're supposed to pay Use tax directly to the state -- but as there's no real audit/enforcement mechanism that's not a concern currently. :D

4. macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Yes. The internet.

5. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

That is actually false. All resellers that sell iPad have physical presence in my state, so I get charged taxes Internet or not. The only Apple reseller that doesn't charge taxes here is Amazon, however they don't carry iPad.

6. macrumors 6502

Happen to live anywhere near New Hampshire? No sales tax in the entire state...

You still owe "use tax" to your home state, though, no matter where you buy it "tax free." There's no such thing as a free lunch... but the likelihood of your home state actually auditing your online / out-of-state purchases is incredibly low.

7. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

An individual NEVER pays use tax. You'd have to be a total schmuck to remit use tax to your state. Businesses, on the other hand, are regularly audited for use tax.

8. macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Just because people "NEVER" (according to you anyway) remit out-of-state use taxes - doesn't make the practice legal. There is nothing in the tax code that limits use taxes to the businesses.

And good luck with your "you'd have to be a total schmuck.." defense line with the IRS, when you do get audited.

9. macrumors 6502

IRS doesn't care about use tax. That would have to be the Dept of Revenue in your state.

10. macrumors 6502

And if you're on the W(rong) coast, Oregon also has 0 sales tax.

11. macrumors 603

Correct; business will pay it because they run a good chance of an audit. Individuals typically wouldn't due to the vanishingly small chance of getting a caught. Doesn't change that it's technically owed by an individual, however. :)

12. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Use Small Dog. They are based in Vermont — no sales tax, and you get little toy dogs with every order :)

13. macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

you can buy apple products at Veteran's Hospitals. I know they have ipads but not sure when they would get ipad2. It's nice shopping in their general stores.

14. macrumors 6502

Also any military base and aafes.com charges no tax. I doubt they will have it on release day but I've been wrong before. You would also need someone with access in order to buy from here.

15. macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Good question.

I'm seriously considering waiting until Amazon has them in stock. Can't beat no tax + free 2-day shipping.

16. mrbrown, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

macrumors 6502

Oh, states don't do audits? That's hilarious.

I know people that have ended up having to pay back use taxes. How? I represented them when I was in law school. They would get audited for some other reason (or randomly) and during the course of the audit... well, you get the picture.

Louisiana is notoriously bad about actually enforcing their use tax. About 10 years ago when e-Commerce was really exploding, they would blacklist folks on the DOR website for not paying their use taxes... and these were normal, individual consumers, not businesses or business owners.

17. D1G1T4L, Mar 8, 2011

macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

AAFES. Just don't expect them to have then on Friday :(

Take that back. Just checked the AAFES website and looks like they will be available friday for order. So if you are military or a dependent.....might be worth it to go that route.

18. Guest

sadly they don't sell iPads through the online store, just accessories

19. macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Please let me know if you find a reseller that will sell them at or near launch date without charging sales tax, I'd definitely prefer avoiding those extra $85.

20. macrumors regular

21. macrumors 603

Link to Delaware's online Apple sales site?:eek:

22. macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I would definitely order from Abt.com. They said it will be available for pre-order this Friday. In addition to no sales tax, Ebates offers 2% cash back on Abt.com purchases. It will be worth saving on tax and getting the cash back. :D

23. macrumors 6502

rdowty

24. macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

amazon.. when they sell it.

25. Goldinboy17, Mar 8, 2011

macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Thanks you two!
    Update: Guess neither can ship out orders until Monday, not sure if I want to wait so long! :eek: