Any original Apple II owners here?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Roderick Usher, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Roderick Usher macrumors regular

Mine is a 1977 model, serial number #2309. Wozniak's Integer BASIC and a Revision 0 board (the full color palette isn't available for hi-res, no aux video pin, no "color-killer" for text mode). The switch on the power supply is a little testy so I usually have a Kensington System Saver fan attached, and one of the keys isn't as responsive as it should be, but otherwise it works perfectly! Not bad for a computer almost 30 years old!

2. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Pretty sure the first Mac I had in my house was the old LC. Then we had an LCIII, and then a Power Mac 7100 or two... That's the extent of my Mac's.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What's that got to do with an Apple II? ;)

I didn't have an Apple II, either. I got an Atari 800 since it had the graphics co-processor but that was a few years later.

It was a more interesting time. Hopefully, you've upgraded the thing to more than 4 KB of RAM and cassette recorder. It seemed strange having to work to get lowercase letters but even the terminals at work worked in uppercase as a default.

4. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

It's 2:13 am and I have finals starting Monday. I'm burned, cut me some slack.;)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My first computer was a //e, but by the time we bought it I had spent lots of time on the ][ and ][+ that my Physics prof had brought in to school... Wish I still had it, along with my old Commodore 128D.

B

6. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Funny, I had a IIe about 20 years ago, had a great time with it - and was finally reaaaally eager to change it, which I did when I got my first Mac, an LC.

However, now... I wish I still had it, for the sake of nostalgia :rolleyes:
    The beeps and noises when firing it up, the 5"1/4 floppies, the games in green and black... :p

7. Arnaud macrumors 6502

...And I almost forgot the accessories: the 22lbs "Image Writer II" printer, the joystick cut out of a block of metal, the amazing 256Kb ram extension / ram drive card... ;)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Image Writer II was pretty impressive at the time with its 27 pins instead of the usual 9 in the print head of the Image Writer. Dot matrix printing suddenly looked less like spray painting.

9. Arnaud macrumors 6502

It gave very good results with colour, too, when I used it with the Mac later. Took 20mn/page, though. And noisy... (I think my parents still remember a specific high-school project finished at 4am.)

There was also a 3rd-party scanner-head, designed to be fixed instead of the printer-head, to digitalize documents...

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My parents supposedly still have the Apple ][+ & ][e that I had growing up somewhere in their storage.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

And the Ataris rocked for that reason. In fact, I still have an 800 in service for playing games every now and again.

I'm interested in whether or not anybody has an original Apple I. I'd love to have one but would probably rather spend the money on a BMW, if I actually had the money that is. ;)

12. MartyMoe macrumors regular

Indeed

Yes, indeed!

I have a few Apple IIs that I can't seem to part with, my first was a ][+ in 1979. I don't have a lot of time to play with them anymore, but when I do pull them out, I love the fact that they still work. Had to replace a power supply, and the keyboard on another is shot, but I still have two working models...

If only I had the time to play Choplifter, Castle Wolfenstien, Hard Hat Mack, Gorgon, Sneakers, Star Blazer, or Sabotage (now on the iPod, interestingly).... man, those were games. (And we all had to walk 10 miles to the computer lab, uphill both ways, in hip-deep snow, not like kids today... ) :p

I wanted to get programs these off of the 5 1/4" floppies and onto something more stable for posterity, but I never got around to it. Anybody ever done something like this?

Nice to see they still run, though..

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have three; an Apple ][+ and two Apple //e models, plus an Apple "greenscreen" monochrome display, a joystick and a reasonable pile of software. And around six 5.25" floppy drives, at least two of which still work.

One thing I really miss is the game Arctic Fox, I used to play that for hours. The only game I loved more from my early youth was Shamus for the Tandy TRS-80.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Anybody have one of the flat-panels that were designed for the //c? Those were pretty cool.

15. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Waaaw, Choplifter, I hadn't thought about that one for 20 years !!!

On the LC, there was an expansion card for using IIe software. Never got it, though.

But I think there might be some emulators for the Apple IIe around, maybe ?

Regarding the old games for Atari etc... I like it that you can buy some game-stations of sort, including a dozen of these games in the joystick itself, and plug it direclty to the tv.
    However, I've seen that bringing older games back can sometimes be a disappointment...

16. Arnaud macrumors 6502

(NB: I think this is a thread for the old people within the MC community... :p )

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

When I was in middleschool I used those //cs with the flat panels - I thought they were really cool.

But my dream computer was the instructor's computer - an Apple IIGS with 3.5" disk drive and hard drive running GS/OS....sweet!...

...that is, until I was introduced to the Mac.;)

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

My art teacher in elementary had a IIgs running GS/OS. I thought it was uber-cool because it was sort of like my father's SE, except in color. Really neato until I used an LC for the first time.

19. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

My parents still have a perfectly working Apple IIe along with over 300 games for it.

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The closest I have is two complete IIgs systems.

21. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Aside from instaling Mame which may get you an arcade version, here's the next best thing

Apple ][e sitting upstairs, dual floppy drives and an 80 column card! Boy that was a hot machine. I still remember playing Castle Wolfenstein on that, should really dig the disks out some day :)

22. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Emulation and retriving old 5-1/4" floppies

Absolutely. There's tons of resources for the Apple retro user in you. There are emulators galore:
    http://www.wbwip.com/a2web/a2emul.html
    and lots of software has been converted to disk images:
    ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II
    And you can transfer disks yourself if you still have the hardware:
    http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/
    And there are services that will transfer disks for you:
    http://retrofloppy.com
    There's a vibrant emulation community on usenet:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.emulators.apple2

23. MartyMoe macrumors regular

Thank you for the links!

Thank you very much! I will definitely go take a look at those links. I was worried about all my old stuff disappearing, electron by electron....
    :eek:

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Closest I've got is a IIc. Actually, I bought it off of ebay two years ago, so does it really count?

25. K20 macrumors member

My family still has an Apple IIc. I remember playing Dig-Dug on it when I was like 7.