Any other "bird feeders" here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Jan 7, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Just curious...

I live in a third-floor condo, and have three window feeders.

Just had a Carolina Chickadee and a male house finch chowing down. :D

2. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

No, but we do have tooonnns of trees at our house so we get to see many different kinds of birds. I need to fix our feeder and get a birdbath. They are fun to watch, huh.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No but I live in a second floor flat and one of my gifts this year was a birdhouse for bluetits to nest in... I'm not sure they'll nest if I perch it on my bedroom/kitchen windowsill since I have no garden although they seemed happy in my outside wall next to the boiler last year.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I love it, but of course I am one of these geeks that belongs to a birding club.

Applespider - I bet you'd be surprised. My cat lays right underneath the feeders on a shelf I constructed in the window for her, and they have grown quite accustomed to, if not annoyed at her when she launches herself from accross the room into the window at them.

I get house finches, chickadees, cardinals, house sparrows, song sparrows, nuthatches....

They still come back. :)

5. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

we have 2 hummingbird feeders

and 1 Large bat house for up to 300 bats. Bats are great, each bat can eat up to 1200 mosquitos an hour!
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, we don't have a bird house because the bears smash them to eat the seeds.

6. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Yes. In fact, we have three. They provide food for countless chickadees, gold finches, junkoes, [sp.?] cardinals, blue jays, and sparrows. Unfortunately, the old adage 'eats like a bird' is completely untrue. A better description of the things would be 'flying pigs'; I need to refill the feeders about once a day! :eek:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awww, no bird feeder, but I love to hear birds singing outside in the morning.

I am kind of disappointed that bird feeder isn't a euphemism for something of some sort.

:eek: :eek:

8. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Are there really that many birds in the City?
    By my capitalization of 'city' i meant to say that you live in NYC. I've always gotten that impression... Sorry if i'm wrong. :p

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

We have a one or two of those "spheres" with fat and some other goodies especially for smaller birds outside our kitchen window, which feeds a pair of great tits (ok, I never can say that in English without giggling :eek:) and a pair of blue tits.

I also give all our out of date and dry bread (or some cereal or whatever when we're out of bread) to a magpie couple, as restitution for one of their kids that my cat killed this spring... :eek: (Luckily they had another so they didn't loose "everything", but man, I felt bad about that when my cute little cat came home with a dead magpie baby and the parents chasing him completely hysterical but unable to intervene... :( :eek:).

There's also one single (!) crow and an extremely overweight :)D) starling that are regular bread customers.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Good. A nice steady target for which I can practice with my pellet gun. LOL. j/k. I don't believe in feeding wild animals. They annoy me in the morning with all their beautiful chirping songs. Just plain sickening!

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

11. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

We live in this fairly horrific apartment complex but toss seed out onto the snow. Seing as we live in the middle of nowhere, we get birds of all stripes. Woodpeckers are clearly boss -- when they show up, everyone else scatters.

Squierrels (sp.?) seem to have the same effect.

12. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I dumped half a bag of hulled sunflower on the ground last week (from the third floor :D) and had a bonanza last week. My first-floor neighbor may kill me though, the Cardinals show up at 6 a.m. :eek:

The European tits are like our chicakdees here:

[​IMG]

I had a suet feeder out for a while, but only an occasional Cardinal would drop onto it.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't know European tits are any different than American ones! :eek: ;) :D

Okay, I'll stop now. :(

I dunno...I actually think bird singing at six would be nice. It eases me awake. And it's otherwise hard for me to get up that early these days....

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

our bird feeder just makes the neighborhood squirrels really fat.

15. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Oh, I like it a lot. Just saying the grumpy old bastard downstairs who peeps at everyone through his blinds may not. :D

16. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Geebus!! :eek:

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not me, but my dad (who also lives in Annapolis) has hummingbird feeders in his back yard... it's very cool to watch them fly in and hover.

19. Fred Bear macrumors newbie

We are THE bird feeders round here!!

Our Robins in UK are territorial birds that notice what you are doing in the garden, and pick up anything interesting that you disturb. A little temptation (like mealworms) will easily train them to come to hand, and if you call as well they learn to fly in when they hear you.

Then you find that they sit on the fence and call YOU when your shadow passes behind the obscured glass in the kitchen door . . . so you go out to feed him.

(and you think I'm teasing?? - it's happened more than once, and the latest one also comes round the kitchen floor looking for crumbs if it can!)

20. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Do you try black-oil sunflower seed? It usually relatively cheap for a 50 lb. bag from a supply store. Or I guess you have Birds Unlimited in the metro you live in that you could shop at! Suet is good for the winter months as the birds need more fat for the cold months. With these two feeds you will potentially attract a wider variety of birds, and possibly a rare sighting. You should see the Chickadees and Titmice, as well as Nuthatches on the suet.

Have you seen a Painted Bunting? I have not, so that's my life bird. My mother did see one outside her window a number of years ago. Indigo Buntings
    are a fun sighting, and are more populous.

My mom and I are birders. I don't currently feed as there's plenty of berrys and other stuff where I live to attract everyone. Plus I have four cats, so I don't need any other bait set for them.

We have a great wildlife refuge in our area that houses several Bald Eagles. That's a fun day out seeing them!

Right now I have 1.2 million Robins and .6 million Cardinals in our yard.

21. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

My best sighting today is a nuthatch. [​IMG]
    Like Fred Bear I also have a Robin, but not yet as tame - still much more brave than any of the other garden birds though.
    And iGarys chickadee is a dead ringer for the European coal-tit - but they don't have the same Latin name.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.. We have 3 indoor cats and they require Kitty TV to help keep them occipied. We have 2 feeders (1 thistle, 1 reg) outside our bedroom window, 1 regular feeder & (weather willing) a hummingbird feeder off the back porch, and 1 regular feeder out in the middle of the field behind our house.

Time time of years it's goldfinches, chickadees, sparrows, mourning doves, and some other type of finch.

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Impress us with further knowledge by identifying which Nuthatch that is!!!

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Steve, did you take this picture? It's fabulous! :)

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Those anything like blue balls?