any other iTunes AAC compatible players out there?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, Feb 13, 2004.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Is the iPod the only portable player compatible with songs ripped from iTunes or are there any others like any AAC compatible CD players out there?

Thanx,

-V

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

nope to which part?

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

no... I think the NGage uses a different AAC/DRM format.

So... at this time the iPod is the only player that plays iTunes Protected AACs.

arn

5. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Yeah, I know, I was looking for players that would play non-protected AAC filed ripped by iTunes.

I swear I've seen one before, just forget what it was or where I saw it...

6. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

yes. Phillips Platform 4 Player does it. All you have to do is rename them to mp4. On your windows PC anything that plays MPG4 movies will play m4a's renamed to mp4

7. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Not quite what I'm looking for, I'm wondering if there are any other portable hardware players for AAC files besides the iPod, not iTunes alternatives.

8. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

I'm not sure why you would want an alternative. But I think the answer is no. The purpose of ITMS is sell iPods and as such ITMS only works with iPods or at least AAC files... a song purchased on ITMS can only be played on an iPod or via iTunes.

One work around I've read about is to burn the ITMS songs to a CD and re-rip them which is supposed to strip away the DRM. Then convert the AIF to anything you want.

If you are asking about generic AAC files, that's differnt. There may be other players. Try a Google search. I seem to remember one of the Rio products at Best Buy supporting AAC.

Found This at BestBuy.com

9. raytube macrumors member

Hi,
    I have a nokia n-gage and I can confirm that id does play AAC encoded files. I don't know about using files downloaded from iTunes as I'm in the uk and can't get any!!! I am doubtful whether it would play those files though as I am guessing that it would ba different drm system. Interested to know if anyone has tried though, for when the iTunes store eventually arrives in the uk!!

Cheers,

Rick

10. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Someone actually gets it, yay!