Any other people without mobile phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dafke, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2005
    I was wandering if there are any other people out there who don't have a mobile phone.

I have never owned one, and will only buy one if i really really need it. Please don't think i'm some sort of social retarded loner that doesn't has a phone because nobody will call him, i just don't feel the need to be constantly reachable, and have a phone at home and off course email which i use a lot.

I must say i think life without is a lot more relaxed. Interested in your opinions.
  2. BrandonSi macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's what my ONE friend without a cellphone says too. He's a pain in the ass to get ahold of, and then he complains when he misses out because no one "called" him.

Join 1996, get a cell phone. :) You can always turn it off if you don't want to be bothered.
  3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't have one, nor do I want one. There are already plenty of ways to get a hold of me. I don't see the point in paying extra money each month for the supposed benefit of being able to be constantly reachable. Then again, I also think that cell phones are responsible for contributing in no small way to the dumbing down of society. So no thanks.
  4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Like my TV, I owned one for a few years but one day, it just died... for months I told myself I'd replace it and those months stretched out to a couple of years.

People kept texting my old number for a while.

I don't miss it that much except when I need to call others when I'm out and about. I'm not that interested in cameras, games and music on the thing either. To me, it's yet another item to clutter up my bag and my life... there are very few phone calls that need to be that immediate and urgent. Besides, I have a direct line at work -- they pay for my outgoing calls, regardless of the destination (except international). :D

I'm too attached to my iPod. With my in-ear phones, I probably wouldn't hear a phone ringing anyway. Often, it's nice to be uncontactable for hours at a time -- people can leave a message on my answerphone anyway.

I can't understand why most people feel that they need to take calls in the middle of doing things like being at the supermarket or other daily activities and for gods sake, don't get me started on drivers with a phone in one hand.

Although I'm quite happy not having one at the mo, I might look at getting one again in the new year depending on my mood... it's unlikely though.

Although Applespider was encouraging me to get a Sony-Ericsson the last time we met and had drinks... she's a very persuasive lady. :)
  5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I only recently got one and had a hell of a time getting it. I got a track phone that was defective and so I sent it back and they sat on it and then lost it, then finally got it fixed.

I primarily got it so I could reach my wife, but aside from that I never use and don't really like the thing.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I hate phones, and a lot of the new tech gadgets -- get in the way of some people's ability to actually work.

And get in the way of being away from the office when you aren't working.
  7. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    My family has two cell phones, but we don't give out the numbers and we don't normally carry them around. When one of the kids has an activity they'll need to be picked up from, they'll bring the phone and call us when it's over. And we'll take them when we travel. But that's about it. We use virgin mobile prepaid, costs us about $160 a year for both phones.
  8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I have one, but it's off except when I expect to place a call away from home.

Else, the landline is more comfortable and has better sound quality.
  9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    On contract, so more expensive than prepaid, but I was in the market for a replacemnt for my handset which was slowly falling apart. I could have got the SE T610 for about £100, but I went for the SE T630 for £30 a month, but the first five months are free and then after 6, I can switch to £20 a month. So basic contract, (which includes more than enough text messages and minutes for me to use any month), comes to a total of £150 for the year. If I had continued down the prepay route, I would have paid £100 for the phone and then potentially over £50 for the calls. Not that much better off financially, but nice to use a phone without worrying about credit first. 400 minutes free, for first 3 months, along with 200 texts, then back to 200-100 respectively.
  10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Meanwhile, back on the 'non-phone' thread theme.....

I obsessed about being the only person to work for Nokia who didn’t actually own one, to the point I nearly resigned my job to seek such employment.

But alas, after my commute time extended to involve a stretch of motorway, my journey became inconvenienced by usual commuter traffic woes. I found that the purchase of a small communicative device enabled me to speak words of reassurance to my loved one about my whereabouts whilst my vehicle sat motionless on the road behind some fat-headed oaf driving a 3 series BMW.

I ‘top-up’ about 3 times a year … and that is if I’ve had a really chatty year. The number of people who actually know my number roughly equates to the number of two-headed leprechauns being born on the 29th February …. which is about 7.
  11. MacSA macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
  12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I just recently got a phone for the first time and I still think they are a pain in the butt. I rack up a grand total of about 30 minutes a month - free long distance is really the only thing I use it for.

I usually don't answer it, or even have it on; that's what voicemail is for!

I don't like the concept of people being able to call me no matter where I am - though I do like the concept of being able to make a call from wherever I am if I need to.
  13. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Only phones worth having ;) as they seem to be the only company that appear to give 2 hoots about the design of their products, more so since Frank Nuovo seems to have so spectacularly dropped the ball over the last few years. :eek:
  14. khammack macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    YESSS, thank you!

I've never understood why people make their phones a higher priority than what they are doing at this exact moment. This irritates me to no end. Consider the following scenario:

I'm talking to a college, in his cubicle, when the phone rings. Should he:
    a) Have a panic attack trying to answer the phone for fear that he might miss whomever is calling him, while in the process disregarding anything and everything that is going on around him.
    b) Familiarize himself with the incredible innovation called "voice mail" which, for those of you who haven't heard yet, can actually take a message for you. That's right, you could finish this conversation before starting another one. That way, the poor schmuck (that's me) who was halfway through a face to face meeting with you won't have to wait thirty minutes while you yammer away about non-work related topics with your wife.

Option B anyone? Anyone?

I've seen this over and over. Just go hang out anywhere in public and watch. You'll see people all over having face to face conversations...until their cell phone rings. What you will not see is a person holding a ringing cell phone who takes even five seconds to consider which conversation is a higher priority: the one he/she is currently having, or the unknown conversation he might have on the phone. The phone wins, automatically, every time.

Is there some electric nutsack shocking implant that you all had installed when you bought your phones? Perhaps that's what it is, I was sick the day everybody went out and had the mandatory surgery. That would explain the contorted looks I see on the faces of persons with said ringing cellular phones.

Wow, I'm irritated. I think I'll go have a drink and some horse tranquilizers.

15. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    I have one friend, and only one, who is exactly the same way. What really annoys me is when he is out he is always asking to borrow a phone to call someone else and invite them, or to check on something. I don't care about the minutes, but it's freakin' annoying how he bashes cellphones then wants to use them constantly!

As far as degrading the quality of people's work, or being loud and obnoxious, that is a user choice, not an inherent cellphone issue. Many people hate Nextel because of the two-way and how loud that can be, especially when abused in public for everyone to hear. I know a few, a select few I admit, that use it like a normal phone, even when using the two-way feature and have it by their ear on normal volume (which you can do you inconsiderate oafs!)
  16. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    As a person who always needs to be available for work, I don't have a choice. They give us a cell phone and we use it. I have my own personal cell phone as well that I bought long before I got this job. I don't even have a landline, just the cell phone. For 37 bucks a month I have unlimited evenings and weekends (which is fine, because I'm at work all day) and can call or be called anywhere I am whenever someone needs to get ahold of me. Plus 350 anytime minutes (old AT&T plan... going to miss it when I have to upgrade) that I rarely go over.

I could live without one, but why would I want to? I like it when people call me, and I'm rarely home.
  17. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2005
    yeah it's annoying to have to hear other peoples conversations in the train (they are always about nothing, had to buy an iPood to be able to listen to music and filter out these conversations) and i think it's impolite that when you have someone over he or she needs to answer is cell phone. make's it almost impossible to have a normal conversation.

by the way in Holland you can get a fine if you're making a phone call in the car and you're not using a hands-free kit. pretty steep fine as well; about 150 euro's i believe.
  18. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 24, 2005
    i agree with you, if you want to be able to make phonecalls, you have to get one of these things yourself.
  19. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Phoneless, but if I did I might go H Savage's route above, and not turn into one of my many friends who say they're getting it "just for emergencies" and turn into a mobile whore. (Let's have some <3 for the BMW 3 series tho!)

Basically I wouldn't even want the damned thing on my body, I'd rarely bring it, and I hate wristwatches even more, so a phone beltclip would be ultimate dorkdom IMHO. Mind you, I had my wireless Palm when I did business, but not otherwise. I'm addicted to the Net, but I wish I didn't have a TV (I'd toss it if it weren't for LOST).

But if I got one, I'd get a Pokia instead of a typical headset... I guess they renamed it Hulger:
    pic here: The red 'emergency batman' model looks yummy :)
  20. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    I dont have one right now.

Probably will be getting one when i move to main campus for college mostly becasue parents will want to be able to get ahlod of me any time. If i like it enough i will probably never get a land line phone.

Dont know though as i have never used one for an extended peroid of time.

I just hate when people are talking while driving. I was nearly in an accident because a lady was talking on the phone and driving. She pretty much rana red light and i was lucky i was paying attention enough to stop and get out of the way.
  21. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have never been annoyed by anything technology had to offer- until the cell phone. I can't tell you how many times I've almost been run over by a woman in a car on a cell phone talking to her friend Ashley or whoever. I HATE cell phones with a passion. And when I'm on the train hearing people talking on their damn phones at the top of their lungs, it makes me homicidal.
  22. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    I have a Nokia N-Gage QD, but I got it more for establishing credit (I just put it on my Visa and pay it off every month) and establishing a permanent number for myself than for using it much when I'm not at home. It also syncs with Address Book and iCal, so I keep my contacts and work schedule on it, but of course you could always use your iPod for that. I am still at home with my parents, and when I move out, I don't plan on ever getting a land-line based phone.
  23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    i had a cell phone but i turned it off because too much chicks was calling me on the horn all the time getting me into trouble....

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Having a cell phone with you at all times provides a sense of security. You're freed! I don't normally like taking incoming calls, so much so I have it on pager mode and I'm really really selective in who I answer on my cell.

If it's a cold call or a number I do not know, I won't answer. I'll only answer it if I've made prior arrangements through email with the caller. In my line of work, it adds a nice buffer.
  25. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2005
    New Jersey
    Virgin Mobile!

I hate cell phones, but they come in handy 1% of the time, so I have a Virgin Mobile phone. Nice, inexpensive, and starts at only $15 every three months. Scales up to regular carrier minutes/price, no contract locing you in, and decent phones that don't cost much.

Even if I've only used it a couple times in the few months I've had it, its saved me a lot of hassles, and I wouldn't want to go without it now.