Any other ShaggyMac owners?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aaron128, Feb 11, 2004.

1. aaron128 macrumors member

Dec 7, 2002
    I just got the new 15" PowerBook and although the keys do not touch the screen in its closed state, I'm worried that when it's in my bag the screen will press up against the keys a little. So I got a ShaggyMac screen protector, but it seems to put more pressure on the latch. Has anyone had problems with their ShaggyMac?
  2. wibbler macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2004
    screen defender

I always used a J Cloth with mine. Perfect size when folded, thin enough, plenty soft enough and FAR cheaper then the 'real' thing. After a few weeks, chuck the J cloth under the sink and use a fresh one - at about 10 cents each these are VALUE and effective!

And NO marks on the screen!
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    whats a j cloth.

i bought one of those plastic style keyboard skins it protects the screen and makes sur ei dont get gunk on my keyboard and people when talking to me dont spit on my keyboard :D
  4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Protecting PB screen from key marks

As a G3 iBook owner who has the "Key Problem" because of the old plastic keys, I also found a nifty solution - a thin, soft, rubberized oval mousepad with an ad on it - totally works. I knew I needed help because the keys were starting to make marks on the screen, so I acted quickly and now it has been safe ever since.

Frankly, with the new stable metal keyboards, I seriously doubt that you will have a problem. There should be plenty of clearance in between; plus, I've never heard about even one complaint from any new PB user. Have you?

You may be acting like a new parent who's afraid that all kinds of dangers will befall their precious new baby. Hey, relax and enjoy parenthood. By the 2nd or 3rd kid, you not only back off from over protection, you enjoy watching them jump in the water to see if they will figure out how to swim on their own, or will need a little help.
    The keyword here is WATCHING, like being cautious but not overprotective. Hey, the battery could start smoking, catch fire and burn... yeah, sure, but don't carry a fire extinguisher around.

While I do not recommend tossing your backpack around, or falling off your bike too often, or dropping your PB on the sidewalk at various heights to see how high it will bounce (ouch!), with normal use (and abuse) you should have no problems.
    Relax :( Really! :)
  5. aaron128 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 7, 2002
    Re: Protecting PB screen from key marks

Heh, yeah, but it's just so...pretty. Deep breath. Thanks for feedback.

6. Random Avenger macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2003
    I have a First Generation 12" Powerbook, and I have had only a small amount of trouble with the keyboard. There have been slight markings on the screen, because my powerbook is tossed into my backpack that I carry to school (in a bag, of course). The good thing is, the markings on the keys come off with iKlear just fine. The keyboard was not the problem, the right side of the bottom of the keyboard inset is. I have a mark on my screen in that location. It does not cause any problems with viewing the screen, it's only visible under certain lighting conditions (fluorescent lights) and when it's viewed at an extreme angle.

It isn't that bad of a problem, and I don't worry about it, so why should you?
  7. mobi macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2004
    Penn's Woods
    Have used the ShaggyMac for over 1 year and my screen is flawless. Coincidence? I don't think so. Don't have any issues with hinge pressure. I also use it everyday to wipe away dust from the screen. Highly recommend. :)
  8. wibbler macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2004
    The great J cloth mystery

This is a cloth made of soft papery-like cloth stuff. Usually in a delightful green or pink with kind of bee-hive type minute holes all over it. Very thin and don't seem to get really static charged. Ask a seventies housewife, she'll know. Fit a 15 perfectly but not so good on the 17!