Any other Sim City 4 owners out there?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Dec 28, 2004.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I know my computer is no speed demon... it's a 1.2 ghz G4 iBook w/ 768mb of RAM, and a 15% or so overclocked Radeon 9200 in there w/ 32mb of RAM. This is not a speed demon, but generally speaking, this is not a bad computer. And OF COURSE, according to the Sim City requirements, this machine should tear right through this program... haha, and to think that on the box they say it can be run with a 500 mhz G3. I'd like to see that...

Okay so I think you all know what i'm getting at. Is there some big tweak i'm missing in order to make Sim City 4 NOT suck ass speed wise when the city gets big? Let me know...

-Kevin

P.S. I REALLY like this game... I wish this didn't happen!

2. brap macrumors 68000

1. That's a fairly quick machine, really... don't diss the iBook!
    2. Overclocked?! It's a laptop man! Doesn't it get, uh, you know... warm?
    3. I had no real issues on my G4-800/640MB. Sure it's not background processes, or something such?

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

It runs pretty slow on my new 12" 1.33 GHz Powerbook. Haven't figured out any good way to really speed it up. I'm thinking that they just didn't do a very good job with the port to Mac.

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It runs fine on my 1 GHz PB, GeForce 5200, 32 MB VRAM. The biggest trick is to turn down the number of cars and sims to the lowest setting in the video options.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I went from 1024x768 down to 800x600 and that didn't help too much. Kinda a bummer... I really like this game. I think that Aspyr didn't do enough optimizations for the mac. Hopefully, they will release another patch. That being said, it is a pretty slow performer on PCs too, but just not quite this bad. Like I can tell they just copied the code straight over from PCs and re-compiled it. If you take the tutorial, it tells you to right click things. If it were really ported well for the mac, it would say "right click or ctrl+click". And I tried control click. It doesn't work.

I'm going to e-mail Aspyr right now to see if we can expect anymore patches from them...

-Kevin

Haha Apple is always pretty conservative with their clock speeds so it doesn't get too warm.. It's only like 15% above the stock frequency. Plus, whenever I play games i'm usually at home w/ the wireless keyboard, mouse, and the iBook resting on the iCurve... so ventilation is pretty good.

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So I just sent this letter to Aspyr... I'm not really sure if they'll respond or give us anything to work with, but I suppose it is worth it...

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

It runs great on my imac. I just have to figure out how to get a good city goin.

8. candan9019 macrumors regular

I assume most people have Rush Hour but if you don't you have to get it, it helps quite a bit. It runs ok on my imac 1ghz, 768mb, 64mb vram. Once you get into really big cities with the biggest maps not much can help you. I usually move to a blank area off the map and let it run, time usually passes faster since it's not having to show much.

It really doesn't matter what kind of system your on I heard people with top of the line power macs complaining about slow down.

simtropolis.com has a good mac fourm with some advice, although it's been slow lately.

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

10. derFunk macrumors newbie

It's not the port; the Windows version gets pretty bogged down as the city grows, too.

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

It runs quite slowly on all our computers too (a 1 GHz iBook, dual 1 GHz Power Mac G4, and a 1.33 Powerbook, all with 768 MB memory).

I personally have trouble with some expansion pack features -- the u-drive-it missions run so slowly that they're essentially unplayable!

Luckily, the rest of the game is so addictive that we put up with the slow speed!