Any PayPal users receive an "important" e-mail today?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by p0intblank, Dec 7, 2005.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I am just clarifying if this is legit... did anyone receive the following e-mail from PayPal today:

[​IMG]

The link provided doesn't seem to be formatted right with the othet text. And note there is no period at the end of the first paragraph. Typo? Maybe. But I signed into my account by going there myself, rather than clicking the provided link, and everything seems to be fine. I did notice something however. I put a real e-mail message from PayPal next to the e-mail I just received and the header seems to be different. The legit e-mail's header has a slight reflection effect applied, while the header in the e-mail I just got is just a plain hue, no effects added.

Anyone as suspicious as I am?

2. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    I am.... seems like someone wants your paypal info.... I wouldn't enter any if I were you

3. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Haha yeah I'd just delete that, the link probably leads to something like paypal.com.fraudsite.com/32948230985023702349038 or something.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, I get them all the time from e-Bay and PayPal -- and I don't have an account with either of them. :eek:

5. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

That's clearly phishing; it almost certainly links to a phony site. Good eye on your part.

6. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

def fraudulant
    i get stuff like that fairly often with paypal
    it actually gets annoying

wow if they got into my account they would only find $6.25 lol

7. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

sounds phishy to me. Paypal and eBay won't send you emails like that ever. Nor any of the banks.

Basically the scammer wants you to click on something which takes you to their site - a mock up of the original, and get you to "sign in" and put in all yoru info", and wham - identity theft, fraud, and actual theft.

8. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Yes you are exactly right with your statement. Be aware of emails like that.

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    definitely fraudulent. spelling mistakes are an obvious give away, as you noticed, the lack of a "." and also, "notaking"? is that a word? should be "now taking" i would think.

good catch.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Forward it to sppof@paypal.com so they can hunt it down and stop it from possibly tricking someone less sleuthy.

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

The "Click Here To Begin Account Processing" is a rather dead giveaway. And I'm not even talking about using "Here" instead of the URL.

PayPal e-mail always instruct you to type in the URL manually and log into your account yourself. Following links is a big no-no.

12. mkaake macrumors 65816

That's a good rule of thumb for just about any type of email from a business - if there's a link in the email, ignore it right out. If you need to go to their website for something, go there *yourself*...