Any PC users here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mcarnes, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Don't care if you're hetero or gay. :p

But why on earth do you still use that crappy PC?
  2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Do bi-platformists count? If so, guilty...

(Bought in 2002) 2.4 P4, 512 64MB Video (ATI Radeon 7500 PCI, added after I figured out what Intel "extreme graphics" were), 280GB Dual HD... One of the best PeeCees ever made... 10ft away from my PB.
  3. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    I use them out school as that is all they have for design and programming.
    Many people will use them at work...
  4. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
  5. fayans macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2005
    MacRumors: Forums
    If only my accounting software is compatible with OSX, I would never have turned to PC again. I promise!
  6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    used to have a gateway but gave that away for my mac :cool:

i still know how to use windows quiet well
  7. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    PC users are unnatural and it goes against God's law...

:D ;) :p
  8. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Do you mean Windows or x86 PCs in general? And if you mean x86 PCs in general what does that mean for the Mactels? I've used PCs heaps and hardly any of them have ever been Windows boxes.

BTW I love x86 hardware (and Windows) it pays the bills!

To answer your question though No outside of work I don't use x86 hardware, but I'm sure I will get a Mactel one of these years.
  9. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i use one for work. i've used both for years... and less positions available with neat names like Network Admin... hordes of peon techs at your control...

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    Remember people, PC means "Personal computer"... Macs are PCs too :eek:
    But, I know you meant to say Wintel ;)
  11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    One more "" thread and I'm gonna scream. :mad:
  12. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2005
    I use both for various reasons (winblows being games, games, and only games), but no way I could live with using just windows. Yuck. :p
  13. khammack macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    No Wintel here, but does Linux count? I "switched" to linux in 1995 and I haven't used anything else until last spring when I sprung for a powerbook. I've been totally Microsoft-free for 10 years now.

I still use linux though, mostly for work. It's a better engineering platform than the alternative (windows). Most software I need runs on Windows or linux only.

14. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Sep 10, 2005
    The Antipodes.

I guess I'm guilty as charged. I'm using an old IBM to post tonight. Perhaps a hangover from the days when I worked for them (IBM) But then I also hung out at Eastman Kodak, and I don't exclusively use their film in my Nikon. As it happens I don't give a toss if I spill coffee on the keyboard or drop ash on it.

But for sheer ecstasy and orgasmic delights there's always my ibook. He can please me in so many ways........
    Grey Beard
  15. DerChef macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I most certainly am

Still have my 3 year old Dell Pentium 4 as Epson and Apple seem totally unable and unwilling to produce a printer driver that will let me print borderless on my Stylus 915. :mad:

Also unless you invest in packages like Toast native CD/DVD authoring in OS X is woefull.

Just keeping it real :eek:
  16. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
  17. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK

Moving soon so money is tight.

Delayed buying a Powermac until Tiger was out, then i delayed until the PM was dual core and soon after that decided to move house.

Now have decided to wait until the Wintel Mac, should have gotton my credit card nice and low by then.
  18. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    I use 4 PC's on my desk at work, all HP Compaq Deskpro, P4 2.8ghz, 1gb Ram, 160gb HDD, CD-RW on a switch box with x1 19" HP TFT Monitor

I also have a Compaq Dual PIII 1.0ghz, 1gb Ram, x2 9gb SCSI HDD's under my desk.

oh they all run Windows NT 4.0 Workstation on PC's and Server on the server.

why? I run scans against very, very, very large databases that are very processor intensive.

The iCL mainframe drivers only run on windows.
  19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Iam a Pc/Mac user and my Pc isnt crappy in fact this single Athlon64 can smoke all Macs when it comes to gaming performance and expansion.............Though i have no need this Pc can hold 4 optical drives and 5 hardrives? This same Pc has socket 939 meaning tomorrows performance is simply a chip away. Sure Mac OS is better but the game situation is as bad as the hardware situation over at Apple. 1st PC in over 20 years and it is now my main platform of choice :cool: Alienware.Big,Bad and Fast. :)

1 more thing you can order a PC just as you want it not Apples way of forcing you to get other things you dont want just to get the item you may want. How many people would like 1 of Apples fastest chip. These are the games Apple plays. Or you can wait and hope that item shows up in the once a year revisions. :rolleyes:

Mac is the best software on the stale hardware. Jobs knows it thats why PPC is on the way Out the Door :D
  20. pcdoctor macrumors member

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm a windows user.
    I would love to get a macintel but I would be very leary of purchasing a mac because of the horror stories that I hear about 1st generation motherboards.
    I have been building my own pcs for years.
    I would love to get osx that I could install on a pc that I built but it probably won't happen.
    A laptop is another story.
    If I bought a Toshiba I'd probably get an extended warranty.
    I wish Apple's extended warranty costs weren't so expensive.

On another topic.
    We are having all sorts of problems with the macs at work.
    I work for a school system.
    We have had to rebind macs running 10.3 and 10.4
    This is a pain in the but.
    Also, if I were to purchase a mac, I wouldn't want to spend more that $700 so I guess I'd have to get an emac.
    I wish Apple would release a powermac that cost the same as an emac and I'm not talking about the mini.
    I've heard mac users talk about cheap pcs.
    I thought about this.
    My fastest pc has an Asus motherboard.
    I hear that either the powerbooks or ibooks use motherboards from Asus.
    Also, I would assume since the macintels are coming out next year, won't this make video cards for the macs cheaper?
    Do you guys think the macintels will be cheaper than the current macs or the same price?
  21. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
  22. carlos700 macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2004
    Omaha NE
    I use my Cube-PC I built. Overclocked the AMD64 CPU from 2.0 to 2.3 and used a powerful NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Graphics Card.

I love it, it never crashes, it never has had a virus.

Although, I must admit, Windows is now where near as elegant or innovative as Mac OS X Tiger.
  23. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Eh, just at work, and only when I have to. Actually right now I'm typing this on a PC because it's convenient.
  24. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6