Any pen enthusiasts in here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Oct 20, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, as prompted by a certain thread, i've decided to come "out of the closet" about one of my hobbies: fountain pens!

my dad got me into them with this interesting, rather implacably-styled pen he had. i don't have any pictures of it... it was really just a speckled brown pen with a lacquered leathery texture, if you will, with a little 14 kt gold nib on the end.

since then, i've managed to amass my own collection, mostly via extravagant birthday presents :D

i have 6 pens, 4 of which i have pics of:

L-R, Pelikan Souverän M400 (the red one) and M800 (the green one), Waterman Rhapsody, and Montblanc Meisterstück 149, AKA "the diplomat"

2. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

here is a nib to one of my Pelikans... this one is solid 18 kt gold, with the "silver" areas being a platinum or rhodium plating. it's important to have a gold nib because they are flexible, which allows for the ink to flow right as well as for the width of the lines you write to vary with the pressure you put on them.

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

this one is the nib to my Waterman pen. Waterman is the guy that basically invented the fountain pen--he came up with a working system to hold the ink inside the pen itself.

4. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

this is the cap of the pen. the pen is much nicer in person. the surface is a clear lacquer over black lacquer over brass. the blue in it looks like flower petals preserved in the clear layer of lacquer, though they are just bits of blue lacquer, i believe.

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

this is my montblanc's nib. this one is my most beautiful one, i think, though it doesn't write nearly as smoothly as the others. again, sold 18 kt gold with platinum highlights. the 4810 signifies the height of the mont blanc peak in the alps.

6. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

finally, the cap to my montblanc pen. the white star is supposed to look like the peak of a mountain... a snow cap, if you will.

these pens are all between $150 and $350; most of their value derives from the solid gold nibs.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

hah.

i use hundreds of these pens every year. i don't really have any need for any pen over $1.

[​IMG]

8. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, but technically i don't need a computer over $1500 or a car over $3000. having better just makes things more fun :)

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

100 x $1 = $100. :)

I picked up a waterford pen from an office store at one point. Only like $25 or so... but I liked how it wrote

[​IMG]

10. job macrumors 68040

job

actually, a pack of 50 costs a dollar at my local office max. ;)

11. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

hah, never diss the cheap pens. you can pick up a $30 pen and have it write better than some $500 ones. there are certainly $50 pens that go down smoother than that MontBlanc149.

waterford is a neat company, i like their laser-cut sterling silver pens, like this one, the Lismore:

[​IMG]

12. job macrumors 68040

job

when i lived in germany you were required to use a fountain pen to write.

i used this set from 5th to 8th grade. they were rugged and inexpensive and worked quite well. [note: the fountain pen is at the top. the rest of the pens are mechanical pencils and ball point pens.]

[​IMG]

13. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

ahh, Lamy... german techno-pens for kids :)

very well-designed pens, great for starters and students.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've got a black Mont Blanc ballpoint I got from my dad as a gift 10 years ago for standing in his wedding. I've never used it, been keeping it in the box in which it came.

maybe one day... ;)

15. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

personally, i would recommend using it. of course you want to be careful with it (don't treat it like a bic!), but pens were made to be written with, if you ask me. there's something to be said for keeping something as a collector's item; i have one of those, heh. but still, i think you'd enjoy using that pen. maybe when you're older :)

16. howard macrumors 68020

howard

oh man!!! i had a pen from that set... the 3rd one down...and i loved it! but it ran out of ink and i could never find a replacement...you know of a site that sells them? or that whole set?

17. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

here are some lamy pens... you can also get refills from that site. i can find other places, if you want, too.

edit: if you don't dig the "demo/clear" style, here they are in color: http://www.paradisepen.com/paradise/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=20920&

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wouldn't dare treat it like a regular pen! I intended on using it, but I don't come into many situations where I'm at a desk & need to write things down. I tend to use whatever clicky pen I have, I like playing with the button.

although, the mont blanc would look nice at a client meeting...

19. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, man, when you meet with clients, it's great to bust one of those out and take down some information from them. it's always impressive to have a real mont blanc. they're great as status symbols, and since yours is about 10 years old, it also probably hails from a time when mont blancs were much more finely frafted than they have been lately.

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...u really think so?

now u got me thinking...

21. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

My stepdad makes wooden pens. He buys the hardware and then stick it into a block of wood, which he shapes.

They are quite beautiful. I keep trying to get him to make a web site for them, but he never listens to me, so I can't show them to you, but he carries a case wherever he goes. He's probably sold 50 or more in the last couple of years.

He made me one out of purple heart, which I love. :) The paduk and koa ones look amazing too.

I wish I had pictures! :(

Alia

22. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i am pretty sure mont blanc wasn't near as snooty and bad then as they are now. of course, your pen isn't nearly as valuable (yet) as one from the 1970s or earlier when montblanc truly was the best of the best in pens, but much better than one you'd buy in a store today, even though it would look the same (they haven't changed their basic style in YEARS).

on the topic of insane-o-pens, check this out. i'm still looking for some better pics of this baby.

23. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

24. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

you should get some shots with your mad photography skills; i'd like to see that.

i found some more on this peace pen from montegrappa... 48 carats in diamonds on it, and it's made out of platinum...

[​IMG]

got that here...

25. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, on the bright side... it can do more than a fountain pen, like write on the label of a CDR ;)