Any Pennsylvanians here?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sean7512, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if and when PA will be holding their tax exemption week on purchases of new computers? I know that previous years it has happened, but what about this year? Anyone know, I am waiting to buy my PB until then :D

2. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

No idea when, the last time didnt they do it in February and then in the Fall... Hold on another month or so, I am sure you'll hear about it.

Central Pa here.

3. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Why don't you just buy from macconnection or macmall. No tax and free shipping. Hmmm.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure. Glad to hear from another resident of PA though- was starting to feel a little lonely. Long live the Keystone State!

5. punkmac macrumors regular

Yes!

Allentown...

welcome...

About the tax thing, I don't think they have done that for at least a year. I remember November being the month.

I.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Ambler (outside philly)

The month has varied year to year. Its been August, February, November...I can't think of any others. There is no future one announced.

7. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm...I HOPE that they have it this year in August or early Sept. I would buy it from one of those websites listed above, but I'd rather go to the Apple store (30 min away) and pick it up myself, instead of dealing with shipping and that week of waiting :p I am impatient and HATE that week when something should be coming "any day now"

Oh, and I am also glad that there are other PA residents here!! Long live the Keystone State, and the PENGUINS...now we just need a new Arena for Lemieux to play in, not gonna happen anytime soon from the looks of it :mad:

8. kant macrumors 6502

Are you kidding??? Just how do you think they're planning on paying for that (*@#&$)%)$*&@#(&@!#$ raise they gave themselves?

11% was the smallest percentage they handed out. All of the senators and all but 50 of the congress critters are getting 29% raises (They're all chairs or vice-chairs of some [sub]committee.)

Our legislature is now the second highest paid in the country. Which probably has a lot to do with our universities having the fourth highest tuitions in the country.

9. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They have in the past, so I wasn't sure if it was an annual thing or not? Those RICH politicians...makes me sick

10. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Yay for PA!!!!!!

Local paper today contrasted my local Rep. (Belfonti) and local Senator (forget his name). The Rep. said the pay raise was overdue and should have been higher...Senator said he was doing just fine and was giving his back to the state.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Many states require that you file on your income taxes a "Use Tax" form for purchases made out of state, in which you paid no taxes on.

In the end, "Tax Free Holidays" offered by some states are the only LEGAL way to avoid paying sale taxes.

12. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Ditto. It's not that there is not sales tax on Internet purchases, it is just that the seller is not required to collect it unless they operate from your state (I think this is correct someone please correct me if not).

I think it is similar to gambling winnings; you are supposed to report it and it is up to you to do so.

So the tax free weekend is the true way to get around sales tax, the other ways are not legit.

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True. Wish I could go and vote myself a big fat, juicy raise :rolleyes: