Any Perfect Dvd Program for the Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mocman, Nov 20, 2004.

1. mocman macrumors regular

The only reason that I am holding on to my windoz machine is to back-up my dvds. I really loved the dvdshrink program. I installed the vpc 7 just to run dvdshrink and it was not doing a good job at all.
    What are the best programs for the backing up dvds on the mac???? Thanks

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

There is isn't a such a thing as a perfect application because everyone taste are different. Also, there isn't all a combo like dvdshrink and nero combo for the mac. however, this application is very popular http://www.dvd2one.com/

3. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

sorry if this sounds dumb but does handbrake compress the dvd? or do you have to use dvd2one? :confused:

5. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

Handbrake is easily the best.

It compresses the files down to 700MB 3ivx encoded avi files (retaining suitabily high quality) in about an hour on my DP 1.8 G5.

These setting can be changed however, and it has preview functions to crop and stretch the picture.

6. Jays macrumors member

Roxio's Popcorn

Roxio's Popcorn

just out seems to work well

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Can you compare it to DVD2oneX?

8. nels0360 macrumors member

Roxio Popcorn will not replicate copy protected discs like those put out by the movie industry.

9. Redboy macrumors member

That's why it seems like the perfect solution when paired with Mactheripper.

10. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

Handbrake only rips a DVD into .avi format-

DVD-backup copies the files from the DVD to you hardisc in DVD-format, ergo VIDEO_TS folder. Big files though, around 9 gigs total.

DVD2oneX compresses the files DVD-backup made into a nice 4,4 gigs, that are burnable.

Take a look at thislink

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Roxio clearly states that Popcorn isn't a ripper, but it is compatible with DVD content that has been ripped to your hard drive with any of the popular ripping apps.

Since I already had Toast, I went ahead and bought Popcorn for the special $29 price. It's works a lot like Nero on a PC. The one thing I'm noticing, though, is if you only rip the main movie to disk, Popcorn may reject the VIDEO_TS folder with error messages of either "don't understand folder contents" or "the folder is damaged". However, if you rip the entire DVD of a movie that gives the above error, then it takes it. It's hit of miss as to whether Popcorn with accept a movie only rip.

Edit: The biggest downside to the quirk above is that you have to spend the extra time ripping the entire DVD, instead of just the main movie.

12. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Ive used handbrake and it seems to work great.

13. lem0nayde macrumors regular

Question for Dave L

Question for Dave L:
    I'm a Toast owner also, and I went to their site for the special $29.00 price, but they will only give it to you if you are registering the product at that moment. I registered my product when I bought it -- and couldn't find a way to get the discount. Were you registering for the first time? Or did you find a link for already registered Toast users?

14. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I had already registered Toast, which means I had a login on the site. I just clicked on the link below the big red emblem in the upper right of the Popcorn page that says Buy Now. Below the Buy Now button is a small text link for current Toast owners. I just filled out several forms, used my login ID and password and boom!

HTH.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just curious: as a Toast 6 Titanium owner, why would I buy Popcorn?

16. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Popcorn is a better DVD2oneX than DVD2oneX :) At least in some respects; it is a v1.0 product, so it has a couple warts. It's also $20 less than DVD2oneX and is supports by a much larger company. DVD2oneX doesn't seem to be getting much attention from its developers, lately.

There's another product called FastDVDcopy, or something like that, which has a few more features, but they want $99 for it!

Anyway, Popcorn removes a step in the process. For me, it was MTR, DVD2oneX and Toast. Now it's MTR and Popcorn.

17. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.......daveL I will get mtr and popcorn and give it a shot. I also have fastdvdcopy3 and it seems to do it all. I have done a few with no prob and will also try the mtr and popcorn route tonite....Again Thanks

18. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Try Fast DVD Copy. They just released an update for it today, its now at version 3.1. I've owned it for almost six months and have used it frequently to back up my movies. It does a great job.

Forgot to mention, you can download it as a demo version, this will allow you to burn one copy of anything (DVD, CD, Playstation 2 game, or your home movies).

19. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

I like the Fast Dvd Copy and it seems to be the best all in one program for the mac. It also seems to have very little loss of detail. I will try the others just to compare.

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I just couldn't bring myself to pay that high a price.

21. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I prefer:
    DVDbackup
    to
    DVD2OneX
    to
    Toast 5.2 (Toast 6 always seems to take twice as long to burn anything compared to 5.2)