any PhD's or professors out there?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 26, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i know there is a DoctorQ poster here, and arn is a medical doctor...how many out there are professors and/or teachers of one kind or another in college?

i thought about a career change one day when i retire and have considered extending my education so i can teach at one of the local colleges

i have also found an interest in working with older adults and this has become a booming field in the retirement area where i live

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've got a PhD in organic chemistry though I'm not a lecturer or anything. I work for a small Biotech.

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Well, I have thought about the PhD, but I'm not sure if I will. I do have my Masters.

I am an Agriculture & Natural Resources Extension Educator with Purdue University. I teach, but my classroom is an entire county and my audience is anyone who cares to listen to me. It's fun because I get to teach things that really matter to people.

I used to be one of those dreaded college TA's. I was assigned a Friday afternoon lab session. I had two guys who whenever I asked for questions would ask, "Can we go to the bar now?" That got old in a hurry. I don't think I could ever go back to a regular classroom.

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I earned my Post Hole Digger degree years ago. :D

6. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Post Hole Digger degree. Hahahahahaha. Good one. :)

7. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

I have a master's degree in biophysics. I teach chemistry at a community college and physics at Devry University.

I absolutely love teaching - there is nothing I would rather do. Of course, it's not for everyone. To enjoy teaching I believe you must enjoy a wide variety of people and possess tons of patience. If that describes you, then I would highly recommend pursuing a career as an educator.

Good luck,
    Jeff

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

here i am starting a serious thread...but i have to add this to the fray

B.S. - bull**** degree
    M.S. - more ****
    PhD - piled higher and deeper

;)

note: the term **** , which is censored here, refers to the fecal matter which a bull deposits in the field...i didn't make these terms up, my communications professor enlightened the class one day on his educational background...he talked about how he had eight years of college theory in his head and how he knew about every aspect of communications but he told an interesting story about his first job after his doctorate

being a good orator and possessing an amazing vocabulary, he got hired to be a radio announcer...live on the air...so when he arrived at the radio station, they gave him something to read and put him in this isolated glass booth and figured this man, with a doctorate degree, should have no problem expressing himself

so into the airwaves his voice goes, but there was this rattling sound in the background which was unlike any interference any of the sound engineers have ever heard before...he was so nervous it turned out to be his shaking so profusely in the booth...after the show was over, i think they had to carry him out of the radio station:p

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a father-in-law and a brother-in-law that both have an MD. My wife and I are both nurses. We enjoy helping others, it is a great source of satisfaction!

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Don't laugh. The Post Hole Diggers are the key to any good college Fencing Team. If the posts aren't straight, assembling a Split Rail fence is a lot tougher! Of course my specality was High Tensile and Woven Wire Fencing.....

Edit-spelling

11. cerid macrumors newbie

Well, I've got my PhD 24 years ago in the field of electronics, and I am teaching electronics and microprocessor technology since that day at Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey. I am a Mac user since 1986.:)

12. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Finishing my DMA in Music as we speak. Just turned in the final revision of the dissertation (God, I HOPE it's the last friggin' version!) I am a music professor at Concordia University in Seward, NE, and at Union College in Lincoln, NE. Taught for a year at Western Kentucky University also. Absolutely love teaching college classes, but hate when people skip on nice Fridays like today. Not that I ever did that in college or anything. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I have a Masters degree in composition and I lecture in music and audio technology at under and post-grad level.

I'm going to attempt a PhD in a couple of years once I can fugure out something specific enough.

14. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

My wife just got her MA in English this past spring, and is now teaching 4 classes as adjunct faculty for University of Texas at San Antonio. It only took her two months to find the job, and she turned down sever other offers because UTSA offered full benefits for adjunct. Then again, she's always been an over achiever (graduated Cum Laude with her BA and a earned a 4.0 for her masters).

I'll be graduating in December with my BFA. We might be looking for somewhere for her to get her PhD and for me to start working. Notre Dame has been sending her letters a lot lately offering scholarships, but no way I'm moving to Indiana or wherever that is. I was hoping the job market in the Bay Area (S.F.) would hold out so she could go to Stanford, but it doesn't look that way. L.A. is a possibility though, lots of jobs there, and UCLA is excellent for liberal arts. But then again it IS L.A. I don't know. We're just starting out so we'll see how it all pans out.

Incidentally, My wife just switched! On Wednesday we bought her an iMac G4 800 15". I've got an 800 Mhz Quicksilver, but I'm on it all the time and she needed an update from her old Pentium 233 Mhz Sony Vaio. She's loving the new iMac.

15. bryanc macrumors 6502

I finished my Ph.D. in 2000, after 10 gruelling years of frustrating research on sea urchin developmental biology (I also did an M.Sc., so at least I got two degrees out of my extended tenure as a grad student).

I've been working as a postdoctoral research fellow (making about double what I did as a gradstudent, which is still about half what any reasonably developed tradesperson makes, let alone other professionals) since. I still love the research, but poverty sucks.

Cheers.

16. jywv8 macrumors 6502

ABD

I fall in the ABD category (all but dissertation). I got an MS in comp sci., got to the dissertation stage in the Ph.D. program, and then I dropped out. It just wasn't my bag. Maybe someday I'll finish it.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Re: any PhD's or professors out there?

Beware! I've heard that not all people who claim to be doctors are actually doctors. Maybe I have a Ph.D. (in bad jokes, perhaps?), maybe I have a medical degree, maybe I have an honorary degree, maybe my mother named me "Doctor", or maybe I simply have delusions of grandeur. I like leaving it for people to guess.

18. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: any PhD's or professors out there?

"they call me dr love, i am the doctor of love, they call me dr love" gene simmons, kiss;)

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: ABD

i met a lot of ABT (all but thesis) students who were bogged down at the master's degree thesis...so you did very well...a lot of people like the mba degree since it's one of the only master's degrees that has undergrad classes in the first year and usually doesn't require a thesis in the second

i fall into the ROOM category...(ran out of money) so i have one year of grad school floating in the universe

my friend didn't want to be a ROOM, so he is a MOOCCBIHMD which is the (maxed on on credit cards but i have master's degree) category ;)

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Re: Re: Re: any PhD's or professors out there?

This web site claims that Gene Simmons majored in education and taught elementary school in New York. So maybe he's not a professor for your thread's purposes, but it's interesting to imagine finding him as your teacher on the first day of school!

21. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: any PhD's or professors out there?

his mom thought forcing him to get a college degree would take him away from music and hanging out with all those long haired radicals toting electric guitars

even though he didn't pursue his degree and education for long after graduation, he managed to do quite well looking and acting very strange in public and got paid very well for his efforts

could you imagine??..."that's my son, the college graduate and the one with the demonic bat looking makeup spitting blood and breathing fire"

:p

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If Alice Cooper can turn out to be an avid golfer, I'll believe anything.

23. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Having now gone throught all of the mess involved with a doctorate, I can tell you that I truly believe that 90% of it is whether or not you're willing to put up with enough crap to make it through the degree. Yes, there is a lot of work, and yes you learn a great deal about whatever field you are in, but most of it is being humble, doing what you're told and filling out the right paperwork. It's like hazing of a sort. Your committee memmbers had to do certain things to get their degree, and so you have to do them too. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of intense study and learning on your way to the degree, but the end just seems like a whole lot of useless formality. I think there are much better ways to prove you are an expert in your field than to research other people's work and include it in some miniscule thing that very few people will ever know about in order to prove that you can research other people's work and prove someting that no one cares about.

Your mileage may vary though. Maybe it's just a music thing too. I find it very frustrating. I just think that a person should be rewarded for developing new ideas that haven't been explored rather than just regurgitating someone else's findings. If you can't tell, I didn't have a very good time, ;) My Dissertation was something new that no one had done before, and because of that, there was little to no previous research to find. I has to rewrite the whole paper with a new angle in order to be able to include quotes from other people in the field, even though their research had nothing to do with the original topic. Oh well. As long as it is done, I can go do my own thing now.

Regards,
    Gus

24. madforrit macrumors regular

Currently applying to MD/PhD programs... yay! :D

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry about your experience, Gus. A dissertation is normally supposed to be a demonstration of original research. If you invent something new out of thin air, that's original (and maybe really useful) but not necessarily research. I guess they held you to the research requirement more than you expected.