Any Pilots Using This?

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Feb 28, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

RAAS is a Runway Awareness & Advisory System.

We are considering installing this during an upcoming 1000hr inspection. It has a lot of pluses, but don't know any users, ergo I am not aware of the negatives.

Any inputs are apprectiated.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm VFR during the day most of the time, and if it's dark and nasty, I usually put in at BWI's ILS north of my usual FBO.

I use a Maptech kneeboard GPS, so this wouldn't help me, but I'd love to see other responses.

Edit: and I rarely go to any airports I haven't thoroughly researched ahead of time, but this woul dbe nice on a dark, wet night if you HAD to put down somewhere.

3. relimw macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I know this would help a lot of large aircraft pilots who are totally unfamilar with the area, but otherwise, I don't know that this would help the GA crowd much.

A case in point, we have two sites about 1.5 miles apart, plus another that's 10 miles away. One has an 8000x150 runway, and the other site has a 5400x100 runway, and the third has a 11000x150 runway. Lockheed has a facility at the first site, and they had a Saudi KC-10 inbound that totally picked the wrong airport. :eek:

They ended up having to take it apart to get it off the runway. It was rather interesting seeing a KC-10 going down the road in several trucks.... :D

4. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

This product is focused on Biz Jet and airline, where the cockpit and airports have many distractions.
    Complex jets can sometimes be busy, although I find most recips have a very higher workload.

Most small private GA aircraft don't frequent the O'Hares and Hartsfields where this will pay off on a very foggy day, I am more curious about the adaptation of the technology. All the "preferences" are preset, so once you put in how you want it to work, it doesnt change without having it tuned to your liking by honeywell. So if you choose some options poorly then it could be coming aggrevating/overloading. Also, during emergency procedures it is one more thing making noise, competeing for your attention, and it may be very important and good to have at the time or NOT.
    Just wanted to know if anyone here had been using it, some corp jets like ATT wirelss are, as well as Alaskan Airlines. They may have some insight that would be valuable to me.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As an aviation nut, not a pilot (though if I win the lotto, watch out!) I looked at the site you posted. I was taken aback by the numbers shown in just the short portion of the video I watched. 7% of landings/take-offs were on a taxi way. 12% of landings were on the wrong runway. And that there 24% runway incursions. Maybe some of the biz jet/commercial pilots can shed some light on how this sort of thing happens.

Is RAAS nothing more than "corporate welfare" when better attention and money is spent at the ATC level? Given the post 9-11 world, i know that GA craft is a less common sight at "major" airports.

Totally OT, but I had to laugh at your comment about GAs at the likes of O'Hare and Hartsfield. I was on the CT during a snow a few years back. Didn't know that the Turnpike had been closed by a jack-knifed tractor-trailer. I had pulled off the highway to get gas, and I felt like a Piper Cub landing and trying to move around O'Hare in my little Ford Pinto (guess I should have been happy I didn't make that trip in my friends MG :D ). I just remember how nervous I was with a friend that took me out of DCA (National Airport in DC) in his Kingair B-200, dancing around those B-727s and DC-9s.

6. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Those are probably worldwide numberws, but some airports and descriptions can be very confusing. While I have never had an incursion or done a takeoff or landing on a taxiway, it happens. I am assuming (dangerous) that most are at small airports by weekend pilots.There was an asian 747 that crashed while trying a takeoff from a taxiway in the fog. Remember in those jets the cockpit is 3 stories high, imagine trying to watch a street in thick fog from a 3rd story window. There has been a big push by the faa to highten awareness of these dangers and to keep standardized terms to lower confusion. It is working, I think.

I have been given bad directions from the tower. I was told to position and hold on runway 35 here on a dark overcast rainy moonless night. We did, infact we were at the very end of 35 not out 500' from it, a plane was landing on 24, it looked like it was going to hit me (I was in the right seat although I was the captain). I told the other plane to "go around" and it did. Tower wanted to know the problem, after a 24 hour investigation (we were obsolved of all issues) they made a standing order there to never position and hold a plane on 35 with traffic landing 24. RAAS may have said on 24 at some point alerting me to the problem before the plane was so close.
    I know of very experienced pilots who have landed at the wrong airport, I have been confused at some places, it happens.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I flew out of O'Hare one Sunday evening in a 172.

Holy Jesus!

Have a look at the approach plates for that freaking airport.

Cross Golf, left turn on Inidia, pass Juliet, Echo and Foxtrot, hold short of 23....usual instructions. You're in deep crap real quick and you have people SCREAMING at you if you mess up, or ask for a readback.

The place is INSANE.

Now that would be a place I could see a use for this sort of thing.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

172 or Gulfstream, it is a very busy, head on a swivel, place! Best to have 4 ears listening to instruction instead of just 2!

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And lets not forget the two B-747s that had a fatal runway "incursion" during IIRC a foggy day. One of my concerns is that with CJs sharing the same space as the Heavy's and even more commonly used B-737s and A-320 series. i know that size should not matter. Weather conditions can have the same effect on a B-737 and a C-150 crossing paths. This is one of the concerns I have with the A-380 starting to come close to flying.

RAAS I assume (again dangerous) is not aimed at smaller airports with runways of less that 5500 feet, and without "substantial" commercial traffic (not trying to lessen the human or financial impact of such accidents). What i got from looking at RAAS is that it seems to be more helpful for "mixed" traffic environments. While GA craft may not be to afford or be required to have RAAS, the Biz Jet and commercial operators would be better off knowing what lies in wait, even if it is a GA craft.

Holy crap! What was the designer thinking of when they designed that runway layout? Are there no Federal standards at the time, that required better separation of operations than that? Being a "plane spotter", I have seen more than my fair share of questionable operations at DCA (National Airport) with the potential of incursions on runway 1/19 (the main and longest of the three runways at DCA) from 15/33 and 4/22 traffic.

Question, how does the safety of ground operations increase from a pilots perspective when you look at an airport like DFW with 17/35 (R/C/L) and with 18/36 and 13/31 (R and L)? Is the parallel runway alignment better than the "old" singular intersecting runways?

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No such thing as doing the "oval" as I called it when I was thinking about learning to fly into a GA airport. (been a long time since I took lessons, or looked at a CAP manual -which impressed my flight instructor during my few lessons that I was able to afford).

Makes me wonder about this talk of the "flying car" or the next generation of GA jet aircraft that is supposed to bring about the "flying taxi" service for the "rest of us". If these aircraft come into being as described, I can see Montgomery Airpark or Hyde Field (PG, don't know if the name has changed) in MD looking like ORD or DCA during "rush hour".

11. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Roger.
    What?
    Over.
    Huh?
    We have clearance Clarence.
    What's our vector Victor? Over.
    What?
    Huh?
    Wha?

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL! You forgot Under IIRC.

13. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Question for stubeef & other Turbine Drivers

1. Does your plane have EICAS? If no, stop reading now and never mind, thanks :D

2. If yes, what is the approximate size (inches or cm) of the display, vertical & horizontal?

3. How many gauge indications are shown at the same time? (e.g. 4 rows of 4, or ???)

4. Just the grid of gauges, or any extraneous information top/bottom?

5. Verifying the math from 2 and 3 above, the size of each gauge on the display would be about how many x how many inches/cm?

Thanks, if anything comes of the project I'm brainstorming with this info, I'll share with you!

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I was over gross (shhhhh!) and had two friends who wouldn't shut their freaking mouths, so I squelched them out and proceeded to yell "Shut the "_" up or we're going to be on the news tonight."

The were quiet for the rest of the night. :)

ORD is weird.

LAX is also insane....well most airports are insane.

15. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

We usually go into MDW for Chicago, and Burbank in LA, just to have room. One of the execs found a shirt in a fbo that said

SIT DOWN!
    STRAP IN!
    SHUTUP!

It was a laugh.

Be careful on the overgross, especially on hot days, short runways, obstacles, etc...........!

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

This is our cockpit, We have digital engine guages, but when I think of EICAS, Engine Indication and Crew Alerting System, I think more of the Alerting function. So No, we don't have EICAS, Yes we have digital engine readouts/guages.
    An office with a view!

Attached Files:

• 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      81.5 KB
      Views:
  17. iGary Guest

iGary

25 degrees with a 30-knot wind down the runway. ;)

I'd never do that at our smaller GAV places here.

Miss flying...oh well, bills to pay, work to do.

Nice cockppit, what are you flying? Different gigs? Leasejet?

18. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

G-100 ( was Israeli Aircraft Astra SPx) for a private company in NC, they are a medical device manufacturer, all flights are part 91. Zero Charter! :D

Fly 2-3 days a week, been slow lately, very unusual, but the bonus checks keep getting bigger, so let them stay in the office and work!

19. iGary Guest

iGary

I've been doing some aerial photography work around the East Coast and met the pilot who flies U-Haul's execs around. Their Pilatius was just beautiful.

You guys are in the best place right now...the majors are no place to be according to several of my friends who's 25-year pensions are up in the air.

20. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I think so too, in fact I declined 2 interviews with a VERY well known major cargo company. Decided my kids might want to know their dad. I am paid very well, and as far as flying jobs go, this is a very good one. The jet is 12 minutes from my house, we have nice offices at the hangar, life is nice.