Any plant owners here..(water lily's)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jdm_rsx, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

this may sound lame but....my gf always loved lily

and instead of buying i decided to grow her one..

any of u guys have experience w/ these plants?

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

3. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

do you guys think this is stupid?

or should just go out there and buy one?

im thinking about creating an eco system inside as well

thinking

one tagpole (frog) eats bug
    one snail cleans up after fish
    one goldfish (not sure what this is for tho)
    one of those algae eaters? forget where they are called...

would this work?

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that it's stupid, you must really love your significant other.

The decision about buying or not depends on how secure you are with your green thumb. You should go to the place that sells the items need to make your eco system. Ask them for advice, many of them enjoy teaching.

I think this should work. Just be sure to research the project first. Your significant other is a very lucky young lady.

5. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, im not made out of money and i have a lot of car payments to do..

so i cant really buy her gifts, instead i just spend sometime making her things and i buy her stuff everyonce in a while

sadly she only likes lily's so ya..

we already have a guinea pig together....wanted a dog but...apartments wont allow it...guinea pigs are quieter anyways...hehe

i think this would work, reason for eco system is probably she wont have to spend too much time taking care of the lily's...just add fertilizer..everyonce in a while and perhaps add water...

thanks for the advice!

6. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

If she has a small plot of land for a water garden or a bog garden you're certainly in the right place to start one. A water garden can be done in a large plastic container or a bog garden by throwing a liner into a hole in the ground and refilling it. Either is a gift that lasts and can be done as you have time and money. If you want more specific info, let me know.

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    that should work, though, you'll want to clean out the pond after about a year, the sludge on the bottom will still build up, and the water ph may have changed, you'll want to check the ph every month at least, to help it stay a healthy system.
    depending on how large a space you have, i also suggest adding a dwarf papyrus as well. it should help keep the water clear, and provides a nursery for young fish (consider a pair of fish). it will double in size a few times over the course of a year, so you'll need to cut it back every month or so.

8. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

please do so and continue and explain!
    thanks!

btw, im planning to do this in... a fish tank...

we both live in apartments...i know ppl say it is quite stupid...

putting the lily in a bowl with dirt then put rocks on top it then put the lily..

then add a fish..and other sea creatures...as well...

if there you guys feel that there is a better way to do this, by all means, tell me - )

what is a dwarf papyrus?

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Dwarf Papyrus <--- smaller version of the 7' Papyrus.

not sure on growing al that in a tank, so i'll gracefully bow out before i make a dork outta myself giving out bad info. ;)

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You'll need to get a dwarf water lity. Regular sized ones wouldn't do very well in a small tank. What's most important is that it get full sun. Do you have a patio? That would be an ideal location, if not then a sunny window would do well. Fish and frogs would be a great way to keep the water clean and bugs away.

I think it's a great idea, also, the dwarf papyrus would be a great addtion, but watch out! They can get large quickly especially in HI. There are lots of great sword-leaved plants that I'm sure would do just as well as the papyrus. Papyrus by the way is what the Egyptians used to make paper. I'd suggest a visit to a nursery that carries water plants, they could give you lots of great tips and recommend the plants that would do the best in your part of the world.

A good way to keep the water clean is to replace about 10-25% of it every week with fresh water. A small bubbler pump is also a good way to keep the oxygen levels high. If you have a fish tank already and it has a pump, I'm sure you can use that.

Have fun! I like small indoor water features. Take a pic and show us when you're done.

11. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

I would not recommend a fish tank for a water lily. Most of those plants have long stems and a root system that is in regular dirt, making for an unsightly tank. Most places that have water plants to sell would have an appropriate depth plastic or similar container to show you. If you can plant the potted lily deep enough and cover its pot with gravel, and stay with only one small fish you might get away with fairly clear water and only need to do weekly 50% water changes, no filtration. There are many other considerations if you start adding other animals. The usual apartment sized fish tank isn't an appropriate place for a water lily to thrive. Their light requirements are high, and the tank will be algae coated in bright light. Water lilies are generally viewed from above. Not a great indoor plant. Outside on a deck, maybe. Good luck!

12. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I give this the Unusual Thread of June award. That's so thoughtful of you to do that for your girlfriend.

13. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks everyone for the sugggestions

if i dont use a fish tank i really dont know what else to use...in place of it..

any other ideas?

yea i have a lanai...as for the sun part....i get some...not a whole lot...

14. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

You're really sticking with it--your girl should appreciate that. Most places that sell the water lilies or hyacinths will also sell an opaque deep plastic planter that would be ok outdoors on the lanai. Ask what varieties do well in partial sun. (Or if you're harvesting from a public pond select one that is thriving in a shady spot.)

Here is some general online info you may find useful: http://www.floridaplants.com/Store/slocumindex.htm