Any PM G5 owners with more than 8GB RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by combatcolin, Jan 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Just wondered if anyone has the money/need for ultimate Big Boy status!!!

If so, how much did it cost you?

2. macrumors 6502a

more than 8gb?? how will you pull that one??

anyway if someone has outmaxed upto 8gb, i hope they didn't got the ram at apple... for the pricedifference with other stores you can throw in an extra laptop or so :p

J

3. macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Well it can and has been done now that 2Gb+ RAM modules are available. One of the French mac sites reported it not that long afer the release of the G5 if memory serves. As for price I guess that depends on where you go to buy the modules. Do a google search for the article.

4. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

so the max would now be... 16GB?? :eek:

5. macrumors 6502a

yup

6. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I've yet to read about 8GB of RAM having more than a nominal positive effect on performance over 4GB, so for now there really is no point in exceeding 8GB at all, and not even 4GB in 90%+ applications.

Still, some day when the G5 is long in the tooth you'll be happy you have all those slots...

7. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Aren't 4GB modules available yet?

4GB x 8...hmm.

8. macrumors Core

i think the limit is 8 gig per processor, so 16gigs of ram would be the limit you could put in there, but it is pointless and a waste at this point if you ask me though

9. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I do remember reading an article about a group of researchers that regularly maxes out their Macs to 8GB. I can't remember anything else, but I recall they were doing some serious number crunching. And yes, it does make a difference.

10. macrumors 68040

maya

8GB or 16GB of ram. :eek:

Talk about having my video, music, and 3D projects open and rendering all at the same time. ;) :) :D

11. macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I've got 4GB... I've never seen the need to upgrade to more.

12. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

So, if you had 16gb or even 8gb of ram, couldnt you just load your entire hdd minus music and stuff onto the ram. That would make your system go really fast.

13. macrumors 68040

maya

ONE DAY, Ram will either exceed HDD in space or HDD will be replaced with data on crystal technology which is faster than ram and can hold more data with no errors. :eek: ;) :)

:: I have to stop dreaming of the future :: :)

14. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I read something on the G5 having memory controllers that could support 16 GB of RAM, and because the Xserves share the memory controllers with their desktop counterparts, they both can support 16GB of RAM.

Cool, eh?

15. macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

That is assuming the slot can support to 2gigs of ram which I do not beleive so no it can not.

16. macrumors 68040

maya

Unless Apple has locked it and can unlock the limit via a firmware update. ;) :)

Its is not brain surgery, its only the USUAL Apple hardware limit. ;) :p :)

17. macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Looking through the original developer doc for the G5 it does state future compatibility with forth coming 2GB modules so it looks like it does.

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

A No then?

Nobody has more than 8GB then?

Give it time....

...and some Tiger apps :D

19. macrumors 68000

Spock

Bio-neural Gel packs built into an ODN would work more efficient

20. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Huh...

It's all one chunk of memory shared by two CPUs, not memory that is attached to a CPU. Each processor has to request memory from the Memory Controller's single chuck of memory.

And we don't know what the limit of that is, yet.

Since Apple doesn't publish the specs of that, and I don't have an account at IBM to download specs on their PPC memory controller.

Or are you talking about the AMD chips which actually hang memory off the CPU.

21. macrumors 6502a

well combatcolin, buy your 16Gig and tell us all about you had no significant speedincrease when surpassing the 4GB ;-)

I think 16Gig might a difference for a server in a large workgroup where everybody boots trough the network and use programs from the server, or use it simultaniously to let the server do folder actions as they did in the firm I used to work, because when we all did put a lot of images in that folder at the same time, we could take a coffebreak together, come back and see wich files wre processed allready & have another coffee with the people who were still waiting ;-)

but I think it will not make a big difference unless you have a lot of applications running at the same time and working with big files...?

22. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think it will not make a big difference unless you have a lot of applications running at the same time OR you're working with big files

23. macrumors 6502a

yes thats what I meant, but my typing was too fast & Dutch is my main language ;-) nobody is perfect you see

24. macrumors 68040

maya

I hope we are not entering the MaTriX. ;) :)

25. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The only thing I can see 16gb being usefull for is creating a 8gb ram disk and copying all of OS X over to it, along with whatever applications you use frequently. That'd probably be pretty quick, but I still don't see the need? :confused: