Any point for me upgrading from 12" iBook to 15" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by svejar, Sep 1, 2004.

1. svejar macrumors member

Jan 18, 2004
    OK, feel free to smack me in the head for even considering this... I bought a 12" 1GHz iBook a couple of months ago, and I love it. The specs are as follows:

- 12" screen
    - 1GHz G4
    - 768MB RAM
    - AirportExpress installed
    - 60GB hd
    - internal BlueTooth installed

I guess that makes it pretty much maxed out. Great little computer.

The thing is - I can get a new Mac (desktop or laptop) through a deal a work. This would work like this: they draw a small amount of my salary each month for 36 months. In the end I end up getting a Mac for HALF the price of what I would normally pay. So I guess you understand why I'm seriously considering it... Actually I'm waaaay past the "considering" bit - now the question is what Mac I should get. I don't really want to get a desktop, since I like the concept of having a portable computer. Besides I really don't have room for a G5 PowerMac.

The 15" PB looks rather inviting, but I'm concerned about the battery life and size when compared to my iBook. But the extra resolution would be great since I've been using Photoshop and Dreamweaver a lot more than I thought I would. And, yes, the 12" screen feels more than a little cramped...

My question to you are: would you go for a 15" PB? Or should I just let this chance pass, and enjoy my iBook?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Does your work deal have an expiration date? If you're happy with your iMac now, why not enjoy it for another 6 months or so, until the Powerbook G5 comes out -- then take the plunge!
  3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

Get the 15" PB. No way in hell the PB G5 will be out in 6 months... he's dreaming.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    how much do you get deducted a month? i'm just curious because 36 months is quite a long time. you won't beat paying half the amount in the end, but by the time third year rolls around, it could feel a bit annoying to still be paying for a machine that's more than two years old...

granted mac depreciates a bit better than PCs so any Mac you buy now would still be quite good two years later...

i think the new iMac hits the spot for you... you already got a good portable - a mid G5 desktop with a big screen would complement that nicely.
  5. svejar thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2004
    Well, I live in Norway, so they would be deducting approx. $40/month. Multiply that with 36 months and you get $1440. Considering the high end version of the 15" PB costs $3000 in Norway (!!!), it's a terrific offer.

Unfortunately, the offer only last until the end of the month so I can't wait till the (eventual) release of a new G5 PB.
  6. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I think if I already had a nice iBook like you, I'd go for a 20" iMac.