ANY powerbook update at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AngeredTree, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. AngeredTree macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #1
    I am in the market for a new powerbook, but I was wondering if it was worth the wait until after WWDC to make my purchase. I dont think there will be a speed increase or form factor change of course, but if the price will drop/feature shifts then it is worth waiting a month.

    Anyone have any comment on whether or not ANY updates to the powerbook are in the works for WWDC?
     
  2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #2
    There is no reason to wait. Buy now while they're hot.
     
  3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

    Steven1621

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #3
    Will there be any update?

    No

    (At least I really hope so, for I must bought a PB)
     
  4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #4
    I would be shocked if anything changes at WWDC. Buy now, it will be the latest and greatest for longer if you buy now. Never underestimate Steve, but I would still be absolutely shocked if anything changes at the conference.
     
  5. arnette macrumors 6502

    arnette

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Location:
    Manhattan Beach
    #5
    why not wait an extra 2 weeks? better to be safe than sorry. And 2 weeks is nothing anyway.
     
  6. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #6
    Good grief people, Apple have only recently updated the powerbooks and Apple have only said a few days ago that G5 Powerbooks are not going to happen this year. There is no chance that powerbooks are going to get an update at WWDC, buy with confidence now, they are great machines, especially the 1.5 GHz 15" powerbook.
     
  7. konaforever macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2004
    #7
    update

    Yes. There will be. The update will be that there is no update.
     
  8. virividox macrumors 601

    virividox

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    #8
    they just got updated recently

    if anything will be announced it might be imacs or displays (500 days) its about time
     
  9. AngeredTree thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #9
    So you dont even think there will be a pricing/feature shift? For example, making backlit standard on all models, using ATI on all, or a price drop to compensate for the lack of a G5... :(
     
  10. James L macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    #10

    NO!

    The changes to the PB lineup occured on the 19th of April (around 6 weeks ago). There were, at that time, CPU improvements, GPU improvements, Superdrive improvements, connectivity improvements, AND there WAS a price drop.

    Apple has NEVER said that the G5 PB was coming out soon, so they have nothing to compensate for now. They have previously said they would LIKE to have the G5 PB out by the end of the year (2004), but just last week said that it won't happen.

    The current lineup, at the current price (which just dropped when they were released) is what we are at. Don't expect it to change in the next week or two. I would say more like Sept or Jan.

    Buy now, and enjoy!

    Cheers,

    James
     
  11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #11
    I expect a minor update in November (yes, more G4s) and another for the summer of 2005. It probably won't be a G5 but something that is 64bit from IBM that is like the G5 but for mobile computing. I don't think the current G5 will ever appear in a powerbook because of the heat and battery life.

    The current Powerbooks aren't too bad. It sounds like even games run pretty good on them. I touched them at an Apple Store and they didn't feel hot except for the Powerbook 12'. The screen resolution needs to be higher on the next version. I would still be very happy to own one.

    Don't wait. Look what happened to all the people waiting for the Powermac G5. The update wasn't worth 12 months.
     
  12. AngeredTree thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #12
    Sounds good....no price drop then....I guess I should buy now...
     
  13. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #13
    That's not going to happen, ever possibly. The light sensors on the 15" and 17" are under the speaker grilles. Note where the speakers are on the 12". Notice how an ambient light sensor would just be a waste of money, weight, and space?
     
  14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2003
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #14
    Amen to that. People would scream bloody murder if Apple did do an update...
     
  15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #15
    I very much doubt there will be any changes as it's less than 2 months since the previous speed bump.

    But you can't count something out.

    You could wait until 10 days before WWDC (which will be some time this week) and then order. That's the window so that if they announce something new/drop the price, you can get the new version at no extra cost.
     
  16. arnette macrumors 6502

    arnette

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Location:
    Manhattan Beach
    #16
    MY point is that you obviously don't need it immediately, so why not wait the extra time? What do you have to lose? Lose the immediate possession of a PowerBook? It's no different than where you are already.

    Hold on to your money, ignore the Amercian commerce urge of spend, spend, spend and wait the extra 2 weeks. You might as well.
     
  17. netytan macrumors 6502

    netytan

    Joined:
    May 23, 2004
    #17
    In agreement with everyone else, there wont be any update any time soon, and even if there is Apple is renound for making buggy rev. A models, or so i have read countless times. As they stand now the PowerBooks are a very well refined system. Well worth it but strike now while the iron is hot.

    Mark.
     
  18. AngeredTree thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #18
    What's the 10 day window about? Is that only if you buy online or does that apply everywhere?
     
  19. DJY macrumors 6502a

    DJY

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra AUST
    #19
    I don't believe there will be any more updates...
    and I'm still working out whether to switch or not...

    For me my decision may have to be accelerated - as here in Aust the three yr warranty with EDUC prices is only being offered up TILL Jun 28... then it will revert back to one yr!?!??!?!

    So that AUD$598 (ish) reasons for me to buy before WWDC
     
  20. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #20
    If youre dead set on a laptop, then go ahead and buy now... If you might buy a G5 iMac if they are released, then wait
     
  21. mac_geek macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #21
    I am in the same situation - Plan to listen to the keynote at the start of the conference and unless something extraordinary happens I will order a PB 15 inch with all the options (HDD, 128MB Graphics) immediately afterwards. Apple store in the UK have quoted a 7-10 working day leadtime.
     

Share This Page