Any present or former Boy Scouts?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Gus, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

So are there any here? I was one and loved every minute of it. I had a great Scoutmaster, and we went camping twice a month, even in the winter. Had a lot of good times at camp, except for becoming a borderline pyromaniac, of course. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

2. BrandonRP0123 macrumors regular

Eagle Scout, 1999

I currently do a few merit badges for the local troops.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was a boy scout.

I quit though - in this day and age a sense of direction, purpose, and loyalty is less valuable then in the past couple decades.

I don't need to learn how to go camping because I never plan to. I got all the camping I could stand while in boy scouts.

It was never much fun for me, but that must be because I don't like being in nature :eek:.

edit - and yes, boyscouts DOES make you a pyro. :D

scem0

4. legion macrumors 6502a

Eagle Scout from 1992 and Order of the Arrow (Journeyman status). I had a great time camping and spent usually 3 months of the year camping. I still feel much of what I learned is invaluable. Most of my friends today, now that I live in a major metro area, find my survivalist skills amazing.

These days, though, I wouldn't have my kids part of the organization. I disagree with the BSA on many social and political viewpoints and find the group as a whole too political. Luckily I have all that I've learned to pass on without the need of a formal group. (though I feel that this sentiment a bit sad to have to be...)

Oh yeah, being part of the scouts did breed a bit of pyromanic tendencies....:rolleyes:

(and to mac15, GROW UP. That humour is unappreciated.)

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I didn't make Eagle, but I made Life. :) (My mom wouldn't let m ego to summer camp. :( That is where I learned you get the majority of badges. :(

I still had a great time. My Dad got really involved also. I have a lot of great memories.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I must also say I didn't like most of the boys that were part of it.

Most had this macho mentality that the better you were at hiking, the more stamina you had, the more 'macho' your were was how good you were as a person.

I hate how they stressed loyalty, team work, and trust, also. I don't think you should trust every person you meet, I think I am better at most things working by myself, and there are few people worth being loyal to.

I don't really like the idea of an organization that doesn't allow homosexuals into it feeding our children morals.

scem0

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I made first class. I got into because my older brother became one. I never really enjoyed myself, because I didn't care for very many of the kids in my troop. I didn't miss it when I left.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I am an Eagle Scout, and I have to say that the Boy Scouts was one of the best experiences of my life. I'm not sure why any of you would have problems with the lessons learned in Boy Scouts, unless you're a homosexual, in which case I don't really care, because I believe that what you're doing is wrong. But oh well, I don't have the right to force you to change, so I won't even try. But I wouldn't be the person I am today without the Boy Scouts.

JW

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Boy Scouts is about more than just camping. It's about leadership, and having fun. My Boy Scout troop went canoeing, rafting, mountain biking, and even camping- without tents, using what nature provided to make shelters. Also, during summer camps, we would go fishing, we could take the aviation merit badge, and get to fly in a nice little 2 seater open cockpit Piper Cub.

With troops with a good program, Boy Scouts can be a good experience.

Besides, I just had my Eagle Scout board of review last week.

I've learned so much from scouting, and the majority of it has nothing to do with camping. The main purpose of Boy Scouts it to teach boys to be good citizens in their community, helping others, and being a good leader. Camping, I feel, is just a great way to teach this, and it's a good way to take a break, and get in touch with nature...

Oh, and I can start a fire without any matches, lighters, flint, nine volt batteries and steel wool, or magnifying glasses. Lets just say that one of our leaders has taken several Tom Brown courses, and he knows a lot about wilderness survival...

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know, but I never had fun while in boy scouts. As I said, I never liked any of my troop. I don't have many guy friends though, if it had been coed I probably would have liked it more.

And as I said, I don't agree with a lot of the morals they teach.

scem0

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I was a Cub Scout. However, in the 6th Grade, I joined the Boy Scouts. We met every Saturday in the Homeschooling Office. After 5 Months (The Beginning of Little League), we went camping. We were taking a hike, and several of us started running, and an older scout (The Scoutmaster's Son) Grabed at to of us to stop, He got a hold ov my shirt, and I fell flat on my rear. We weren't even doing anything wrond, we were running on the road in the campground.
    Well the 'master made him appoligize, but I don't think he ment it.
    Soon afterward, I was in little league, had a babysitting gig, and suddenly the day of meetings changed to Tuesday (The same day as LL Practice, and Babysitting)... Therefore I maintain that I was forced out of BSA.

TEG

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

luke, use the force to change those gays into straights the way they should be! :rolleyes:

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I personally wasn't in the Boy Scouts. Did have a cousin that was very active, he was able to make Eagle Scout. His father my Uncle was a Scout Master. It definitely was a great learning expereince for both of them!

15. Killswitch macrumors newbie

a long time ago

life scout, OA... troop and council politics got in the way of my eagle project.. so I moved on.

Scoutmaster was a former Army Sgt...A good leader and I learned much from him. Survival skills and camping and overall life skills I learned then still apply now. We had an Asst. that was homosexual...we knew it..he knew we knew..and we never made a big deal about it. Was there a huge emphasis on morals? No. We emphasized decision making and leadership.

It seems that every troop has it's own dynamic...just like any group of people ( this forum included). If we accept each other as equals, it really doesn't matter if they are gay, straight, Venusian, liberal, conservative...etc.

16. sketchy macrumors regular

Eagle Scout 1994, Brotherhood - OA. Foxfire (JLT) Staff

I loved the Boy Scouts.. I loved hiking, camping, cooking, fire building, etc. I learned how to be a leader in the Boy Scouts, PL and SPL, and Junior Scout Master. At school I was not popular, not looked up to (except for my art skills) --- but in the Boy Scouts I was a leader. I was responsible, I was trusted to be responsible.

There are many things that I have used from the Scouts in my everyday life besides knots and first aid.

And in scouts it was not how strong you were or how much stamina you had -- it was if you tried or not. I was the fastest hiker in my troop, but I always walked with the slowest hiker when I was SPL. Try and don’t complain about it. You were supposed to want to do it, if you went because you dad or mom wanted you to go, then you probably should not have been there.

Dave
    (I miss capture the flag)

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You know, I'm at odds with the BSA right now, for their staunch discriminatory views whilst getting funding from a variety of sources that do not agree. But even I think that comment was out of line. The BSA has had troubles with a few bad apples taking a perverse advantage of their nurturing relationship with the children, which is a damn shame to say the least. But the BSA is also a very positive and uplifting organization that can give [some] boys the chance and structure that they need to get in control of their life. I hope one day they open their organization to everyone, and teach that discrimination is wrong and that honesty is a prized value... but seriously, if you're going to take a jab at child molestors... *points to the catholic church*

:D

pnw

18. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i made a giant post about scouting but my outdated browser lost it

edit..

so yes, i was in scouts until i was 18

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

aww c'mon man... if you don't like *your group* to be attacked, why attack another group? every set of people has bad apples, why focus on that so much?

where's the love?!???

20. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Uh, I've only heard of one case about a scoutmaster being 'rejected' for being gay, and from what I've heard, he never molested anyone. (I haven't heard about any molesting going on within BSA, but I could be wrong. I don't keep up with the news on this type of stuff).

Now the catholic church... They've been all over the news, and the majority of it is not good...

21. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Eagle Scout since 1995. Loved every minute of it. ;)

On a different note, I think they really should revise their policies on homosexuals. Discrimination on basis of sexual orientation is just wrong. Remember, only a few decades ago, African-Americans weren't allowed to use the same bathrooms as white people. In 50 years, we'll look back on this and think "My God, is it possible we refused to let kids into the Boy Scouts because they were gay?"

22. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I dont even think theres boy scouts here in oakland. Theres girscouts. My friend is a boyscout...:rolleyes:

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The debate on homosexuality in Boy Scouts is a heated one.

One one hand, there is a line in the Scout Oath that says "To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."

This, many argue, means 'not homosexual'.

And then there is the 12th point of the scout law. A Scout is Reverent.

And to a catholic scout, this means that they must love thy neighbor as they would love thyself. The bible teaches not to discriminate, because greek or jew, man or woman, rich or poor, they are still children of God.

So, we have scout guidelines conflicting with religious guidelines.

The BSA's main reason for discriminating against homosexuals is to protect their members. While some leaders who aren't homosexual could still pose a threat to the scouts, I believe that the districts and the councils should keep a closer eye on their troops. Possibly a "scout abuse awareness" system, where they teach scouts to report things that people do to them. They already include a child-abuse handbook in the front of every scout handbook, but I feel more should be done.

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

heh i hoped my tone was conveyed, i was being sardonic... and while i spent time as a boy scout, it's no friend of mine, a lot of it I don't agree with... particularly the fact that it's such a non-secular organization...

Here's my view-- The catholic church and the BSA are two organizations that have long rejected homosexuals (the BSA did long before their rules said so)... And yet they're the two organizations that have suffered the most subsequently by child-mollestation allegations. You can't tell me it's because accepting organizations ignore abuse; obviously the catholic church ignored it for a very long time on a very large scale... I think it's because both organizations live in total denial of homosexuals, thereby blinding themselves to those (tiny portion of) gays that are pedophiles... So they simply don't deal with it as other organizations would. And such, children suffer. Child abuse is something that spans both sexual orientations and must be dealt with as one single problem; not divided and then 'confronted'... It's counter-productive, and it's not fair to the kids. The division between gay and straight doesn't just hurt those on this side of the fence--

pnw

25. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i was in boy scouts and screwed off a lot more than any of the scoutmasters knew about...especially my dad. during summer camp, me and one other scout made good friends with the counselors and they signed off our merit badges even though we never went and just hung out with them and went into the nearest town every day.