Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shuweiyu16

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
Just wondering for those of you who own the MBP if any of you guys have issues (ie. dents or scratches) with your MBP with regular use?
as i have read throughout the forum that some are complaining that the aluminum casing is rather weak compared to the plastic casing of the MB
thanks for your input.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
If you take care of it, and don't allow things to scratch or dent it, it wont get scratched or dented.

its an expensive computer; if you treat it like it is, you won't have problems. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Mant of the PowerBooks suffered from "pitting" of the palm rests...the cause isn't exactly known, but it has to do with sweat and possibly the acidity of it. Also, other things likes scratches from watch bands and the like may contribute to allowing sweat to penetrate the surface finish.

This problem has been around for years, and Apple has never really solved it. I've had my top case replaced once because of it, and the second one is showing a few spots of it. I've seen a few reports of MBPs also starting to exhibit this problem, so be aware of it. You might want to think about some sort of protection for the palm rest area, or it may not matter to you.

Other than that, I've had no problems with my casing on my PowerBook, but I am careful with it. I'm sure it's not as forgiving as the iBook/MacBook casing, but as long as you're careful, it'll be fine.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've had my MacBook Pro for over 5 months and there isn't a scratch or ding to be had on it. I take care of it, so if you take care of it and don't drop it, then you shouldn't have a problem with the casing.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
A quality carrying case offering good protection, coupled with diligent care, should be what sets the tone and tempo for how any MBP will look throughout your period of ownership. The consensus opinion seems to be that they are more susceptible to denting than a MacBook, but such issues are attributable to how rough the user is, not simply the exterior alumimum construction.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
you should never ever ever ever type with your hands against the bottom part of the laptop. never ever ever. those who have had experience with wrist injuries know this to be true.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
I use my MBP everyday, travel with it constantly, lug it around. Often not taking care of it as much as i should. Still looks like new. Not a scratch on it. The wrist areas get dirty from constant abuse, but thats easily fixed. It is a very resilient machine.

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
I accidentaly scratched my MBP because I was moving it from one room to another. Stupidly I set the power adapter on the closed lid, which the power adapter happened to be on a floor.

It's a noticeable scratch.

Other than that I find that my laptop gets really dirty. All the time.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
well...I dont know if it's a scratch...it's just a very faint white line at some part of my MBP. It's not a cut...it didn't cause my MBP to feel like there's a surface problem..just some loss of aluminmum coloring I guess....

I protect it wih all I can...but after this trip to the US, I realized the TSA people are stupid....they open the MBP like it's a toy, and slams it shut etc...I got pissed. Low and behold, I realized there is a "white line" thing....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.