iPad mini Any problems with the new iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Investor27, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'm thinking about picking up the Ipad Mini this weekend as a Christmas gift for my wife, and I wanted to know if there are any issues with this first batch of Ipad Minis that I should be concerned about. I was going to purchase one when it was released, but thought I should wait at least a month to see if any problem arises. Is there any heating, hardware or wifi antenna problems with the new Ipad Mini? Thanks.

2. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nope!

3. macrumors regular

We bought three. All flawless, except for one cord that wouldn't charge or communicate. Apple replaced it (the cord) promptly.

4. macrumors 65816

No problems here. Out of the 3 I've seen so far, no problems with the others either.

5. macrumors member

trvsglr

My friend and I both got mini's the day they came out. Not had a single problem and I am so glad I sold my iPad 2 for it!!!! It's perfect!!

6. macrumors member

The only problem with the iPad mini is it's very hard to find a store that has one in stock.

If you plan to get one this weekend, you should start calling stores as early as tomorrow and see if they will hold one for you.

7. macrumors 65816

Ha, yeah. That's seems to be the single most issue, screen preferences aside.

8. macrumors 65816

Main issue: people whining about the screen lol

Seriously folks get over it! Love my mini :D

9. macrumors regular

Yes, defective screens. If the screen looks hazy, very blurry and looks like a film is covering it, you have a bad screen.

Make sure to look very closely at the screen!

10. macrumors newbie

My iPad mini does not have any problems. :D

11. macrumors member

You sure it's not just a case of people forgetting what non-Retina screens look like?

12. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

My wifi has dropped at Starbucks a few times and just now at home.

Hopefully resetting network settings and manually connecting to my network like I did when my iPhone 5 wouldn't wake connected to wifi does the trick :/

I'm really hoping it passes/isn't hardware. Saw a few threads on it but not a ton. One dude reporting his replacement did same thing

13. macrumors 6502a

I've had two both with debris under the screen.

14. macrumors regular

No, I have seen my friends brother in law's Mini and the screen looked pretty bad! I compared it. He took it and returned it. His new Mini screen is like mine with no extreme blur and filmy haze is the best I can describe it

Plus his had a noticeable noise on the screen when he typed or played Modern Combat etc. as if the screen was too thin?? Mine has no such noise and neither did the display models. Strange!

15. thread starter macrumors member

Try naming your network, the SSID, if you haven't already. That could be the source of some of the issues with people's Mini not being able to automatically log on to their wireless network.

16. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

Yeah I already have thanks for the tip though

17. macrumors member

Even though Apple makes some great quality devices they are not always perfect.

I finally found an iPad mini for store pickup tomorrow and I will make sure to open it before I walk out of the store. I suggest you do the same when you find one. A good checklist is:

1. Make sure everything that should be in the box is in the box

2. Make sure the condition of the charging wire and the actual iPad mini are flawless (no dings on the iPad mini, no kinks in the wire).

3. Turn on the mini. Look at the screen and check the volume. (if you are worried about getting a bad screen, you can compare your mini side by side with one of the Apple store's display units.

4. Ask an one of the Apple store representatives if they have an available outlet. Use this outlet to make sure the iPad mini can receive a charge and the lightning cable charges.

5. Last but not least, use the iPad mini to log onto a local wifi network in the area. Then use safari to navigate to a deap pixel checking site. Save the images and view each dead pixel checking image in full screen and at least half brightness. (this step will check for dead pixels as well as make sure the wifi works).

After all this, you can leave the store knowing you have a good working iPad mini.

-edit: here is a dead pixel check site: http://www.theipadguide.com/content/ipad-dead-pixel-test-how/7171269

18. macrumors 6502

Had mine for a week now. No problems at all. Love it!

19. macrumors 6502a

big problem

i can't stop using it.

20. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

No problems at all!

21. macrumors 6502

Main problem is, I haven't had it delivered yet :-(

22. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Yeah big issue battery life isn't what they quoted! I'm getting knocking on for 20 hours each full charge it seems to get better. Bloody rediculous if you ask me!!

23. macrumors regular

That has proven to be the icing on the cake. Very kickass IMO.

If laptops never make this leap, they may end up joining the video cassette player in history.

24. macrumors 6502

Any problems with the new Ipad Mini?

Only one problem so far -- I can't seem to put it down.

25. macrumors 603

MH01

Good for you, though for me it was a deal breaker. Loved the mini, though was disappointed with the screen. Will just wait till the retina comes out, will be perfect then