Any professors or college instructors here?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, May 25, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I'm just musing, and wondering what a job as a professor would be like. What kind of pay, and what kind of experiences do you get from a job? And what kind of demand are there for professors? I'm not really seriously thinking of becoming a professor or anything, but I really enjoy philosophy, and am thinking of some way to continue studying philosophy, and actually getting a job with a doctorate in philosophy.

So anyone here a professor or college instructor? What do you think of your job and pay? What do you think of the job market for professors in philosophy?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I'm not a professor, but my wife is. She absolutely loves it. The pay is decent, but not nearly as good as it would be if she'd gone into some other line of work that requires the same education -- for example, law or medicine.

To be a professor, you need to love your subject area and love teaching. Philosophy is probably one of the most difficult areas to get a job as a professor because there are very few philosophy majors -- so very few jobs teaching philosophy. If you can't get in to one of the absolute TOP graduate programs, like Michigan, Harvard, or Rutgers, then you probably will have a LOT of difficulty finding a job. If you do get a tenure-track job, you will make a decent living, but you definitely won't get rich. I have a friend who's a philosophy professor and makes over $100K a year, but he's probably one of the best-paid in his field. Typical starting salaries are in the $30-50K range.

If you don't get a full-time job, count on making $20K or so until you can land a tenure-track position.

Edit: found this chart of average professor salaries. Remember, you're not very likely to land a job at a doctoral institution right out of grad school, so make sure you look at figures for two- and four-year institutions.