any reason to keep this G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mopppish, Jun 23, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2005
    I love my old B&W G3 (400mhz 512mb RAM), but I don't think I have any reason to keep it anymore. I also have an old beige 266mhz G3 and the two computers in my sig. The thing is, I figured that the beige one wasn't worth ANYTHING from a selling standpoint, so I'm trying my hand at modding and will be putting only its motherboard, hard drive, and PS into a case soon to act as a 24/7 itunes server running 10.2.8 (seems to be working fine so far). I used to use Pro Tools with an Audiomedia III card in both machines, but now have a Firepod to use with both my imac and ibook. I've been borrowing a copy of Logic Pro 7 from school and will probably buy my own legitimate copy when I graduate next year, so the old copy of OS9's Waveburner Pro that I have probably won't see any use. I'm thinking of just selling the B&W G3 to a friend for $50 to get them into macs. I can't think of any other good reason to keep it or run OS9 for that matter. I mean, sure old computers and OS's are fun, but other than tinkering, what productive means are they good for? Once I graduate, I'll probably buy a new mac and use my current imac as a living room media computer... Any advice?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006
    Why not donate it to a charity that collects computers for underprivileged people? I'm sure they would appreciate it, and you'd get a little Karma boost.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2005
    Ha! I'm a college student. I AM a charity case! :D
    Don't worry- I know that there are those that have it worse. I don't get any money from mom and pop, but Uncle Sam is LENDING me all I need for now.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006

Do you really need the $50 that badly? Plus, you probably get a tax you know that someone who doesn't have a computer will be getting a mac instead of a windows box. ;)
  5. macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    depending on the revision, I might be interested in buying that Beige G3 logic board from you. That is, if you're interested in selling it.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Jan 6, 2005
    So Cal
    yah its only worth 50..

i have a G3 450 i just use for network storage...i wish i have 1000 ethernet though...
  7. macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Hehe, yeah you are. I say just keep the machines. The amount of money you can get for them is only good enough to fuel a week of fast food and beer. And then one day you'll think "I wish I still had my B/W."

I'm keeping my B/W 400 cause it is the first Mac that I actually bought. Up to that point my parents would always secede to my begging.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2003
    UK (southern)
    I still use a G3 400 as my main computer! Still saving up for a new imac! - so older machines can still be useful.

I would like to have a computer lab in my house, where I have it full of computers from all eras- like my Atari ST. If you had a lab you could put your macs in there!