Any reason why I had to restart my computer four times?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattcube64, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

So, my Macbook's screensaver is on. I go to get on it, and it asks me for my password like normal. I type it in, it says it's wrong. I do this like 3 or 4 times, until it says I've done it too many times. I even checked the CAPS LOCK key, and it was off, but I tried it with it on once. Anyways, I hold the power button down, and turn my MB back on. I login...but none of my icons in the top right of my screen show up (except the spotlight eyeglass thing and Xbox Connect). I can't connect to the internet. I can't open network settings. (It opens, but immediately freezes). I restart the computer. Same thing happens again. I then unplug the power adapter and all USB devices (KB/mouse and printer) and shut the MB down for about 15 minutes. I turn it on, and now it works fine.

What happened, and should I be worried?

Thanks.

2. teckman macrumors newbie

That happens in my iMac with OS Tiger. So we have something in common. Or I seen this problem in Macworld forums and we all have something in common.
    If you erred on a character it is better to completely delete the user entry when you first see the Log-in pane knodding, sometimes it let me thru with one character delete. When OS won't let you in on any one character delte, completely delete user entry. I believe this when it starts acting naughty. On User entry, you don't really need to worry about lower or upper caes characters or even space I found out. On Password, everything need to be as is.

3. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

^^^Not trying to be ignorant, but I really don't understand that?

4. teckman macrumors newbie

Must do a complete delete

This is a feature that randomly appears in Tiger. It happens when a character [or two] is mistype in the Name entry in the log-in pane.
    The solution is to delete the entry[or entries] completely. I think I narrow it down to Tiger randomly makes checks on a user's mettle at log-in.
    It is an easier check up on one's than windows---that takes one to hell and back and empties one's pocket!!!!
    I's not a problem. I think it's a brain checkup.