Any reason why I shouldn't buy a MacBook Pro today?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnbro23, Apr 5, 2006.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Reasons to buy one:
    • I would buy one anyways for college this fall.
    • I get 10% off for education discount.
    • Recent article on MacRumors about Apple already being on Rev. D.
    • I'm thinking about starting freelance web design. A MacBook would be great for traveling and show professionalism.
    • Boot Camp - testing sites on Windows, games, and Autocad (another interest of mine)
    • My parents will buy my eMac that I'm currently using.
    • They will also pitch in for my MacBook Pro (because I'll need it for college)

Reasons to not buy one:
    • Possible boost in specs between now and August.
    • Possible price drop between now and August.
    • ???

I can't really think of any other reason why not to get one. Can anyone think of anything I'm missing? What's your advice? Should I go ahead and get it now?

2. Placeholder macrumors member

Placeholder

Don't weigh too much on the Rev A,B,D,GHIJK rumors - as far as I'm concerned, the only reason to stay away from the MBP would be the whine (which IS real, and really annoying - no matter what non-whiners say) - all the other problems should be (and are) taken care of by Applecare. And anyways, there are lots of easy "fixes" for the whine for the time being (I use the mirror widget). It's a great machine and I haven't regretted for a second (well... maybe for the first few seconds when I found out I had a whiner).
    The only reason to wait, that I can see, is that maybe the new ibook will meet your needs just fine - use the $ you save to up the Ram and buy a good case.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It's really up to you. If you don't mind waiting, then by all means, wait. Only buy when you're ready and your needs exceed your present situation.

However, even if a new model is released, it's likely that it won't be ready for September. From my experience, scrambling for a laptop mid-semester is a very bad idea.

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I most likely would wait, only if I wanted a different size..i.e 13.3in or 17in. Otherwise, I would buy it so I could play with it for the summer. But if you can wait...its never a bad thing with apple.

5. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

because your wallet will feel much lighter......? That's all about I can think of.

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Don't! apple will release something new & greater in the next 6 - 12 months! :rolleyes:

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

What model do you have?

Funny I've heard a lot of people complain about it, but I have yet (thankfully!) to hear it on mine.

8. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Ha, there are plenty of reasons to buy now.
    I only bought now because my education
    discount was expiring. If you buy in the fall,
    apple might offer that free-ipods-with-mac-purchase
    deal you could take advantage of. I might also wait
    until Leopard comes out so you don't have to pay
    for the upgrade right after getting the machine.
    Or wait till fall and get a refurb to save even MORE
    money! That's what I'd do in your shoes.

9. Placeholder macrumors member

Placeholder

Mine's a W8610.
    I'm thankful that I'm free of excessive heat, screen buzz, and other issues... but the whine... it's soooo bad.

10. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

don't worry about the whine issue...

it really isn't a big deal, all i do is open comic life (comes with MBP) then close it and it is gone until you open photobooth or restart the computer..

i have to do this very rarely because i never use photobooth, and always put my laptop to sleep instead of turning it off :)

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nope. I would not hesitate to buy one of the current MacBook Pros. If you only need the computer later on this year, then you might want to wait to get a faster model. :) I doubt that price will fall any though.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Wait until mid or late june to see if they throw in a free ipod like they usually do.

Signed,
    guy who bought his powerbook a week before the free ipod deal started

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

The main reason that personally bugs me is that Apple seems to have a form factor change up in the air (think the TiBook -> AlBook transition).

This time round it just happened that Apple decided to use the mainstream 15" model to milk [strikethrough]suckers[/strikethrough] Mac users before releasing something more.. interesting.

That will be the spearhead for the 2nd round of milking, perhaps during this year's holiday season, before Apple releases OS 10.5 next January for the next round of milking.

That will be accompanied by yet another revision change in March '07 that features the Intel Santa Rosa chipset which boasts FSB speeds and also supports Robson caching.

Yes, instant on computers.

Instant! Not like your current puny hackwork ones!

Those would be interesting IMO :)

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, that is just how we learn adk- from our mistakes. ;) :)

15. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Was that post serious? or mocking people who want to wait to buy computers?

I couldn't tell....

16. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

I can't say for certain, as I'm not generik, but I believe that he(?) was being serious about wanting a different form factor, but was making fun of those who wait in the rest of the post.

I personally would at least wait for the iPod deal. If you don't want it, you could always sell it at a discount to someone else.

17. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

Software!!!

If your doing webdesign you'll be forever booting into windows as I don't think Flash works under Rosetta because of the time syncing. Rosetta sounds like it will be fine for Photoshop etc from various posts - but nothing with syncing...

The price of Intel mac software should be something you take into account. Being a student I don't imagine you own your software (forgive me if I'm wrong) but if you are going Freelance and charging people for your services you can get in a lot of trouble ($) without your own copy.