Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Are manufacturers hellbent on offering just 4.8, 5 and even 6 inch devices now? I hate these huge things, they're uncomfortable in hand and don't sit well in the pocket.

For my next phone I'm thinking of giving Android a try, but right now it seems that the only smaller phones available have barely better specs than my iPhone 4 and have a worse resolution (800x480 vs 960x640).

Are there any rumors or known data about upcoming phones that are more reasonably sized?

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Not that I know of, but honestly, Android phones aren't getting any smaller than they are right now. The smallest screen size will likely be around 4.5-4.6". If you're looking to try something fresh but don't like the size of Android phones, maybe look towards BB10?

My question to you is, have you tried any device with a 4.5"+ screen? I find that the people who say a phone won't fit in their pockets or their hands are ones who have never even tried that specific device. As long as it's not the Note II (even the Note fits in most pockets...) or that other gigantic phone, I don't see any device having trouble fitting in a pocket.

My suggestion to you is to actually try one of these devices first. Maybe get a Note II, play with it for a week or so and you will get used to it. When upgrading to a larger phone, it always feels awkward at first but as you use it more, the more it will feel normal. In fact, I guarantee after using such a large device, you will have trouble downgrading to something smaller.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Sony said they were going to make a smaller handset this year, though we dont know anything about specs. HTC is the only one making a flagship phone smaller than 5" so far (4.7"), but they did make a 4.3" windows 8 phone with a 720p hd screen (HTC 8X). Hopefully that phone is a blueprint for the followup to the HTC One S. But yeah, you'll probably have to wait a while to hear about anything on the smaller phones.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The galaxy nexus in reality was a 4.3 inch phone as part of the 4.65 inch screen is the onscreen buttons which is normally where the capacitive buttons are. The nexus 4 is a little wider but is about the same height wise.

Don't knock big phones until you try one though. I though the galaxy nexus looked huge coming from a 3.7 inch droid incredible but after a day with it I was sold and never would go back to a smaller phone.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Not that I know of, but honestly, Android phones aren't getting any smaller than they are right now. The smallest screen size will likely be around 4.5-4.6". If you're looking to try something fresh but don't like the size of Android phones, maybe look towards BB10?

My question to you is, have you tried any device with a 4.5"+ screen? I find that the people who say a phone won't fit in their pockets or their hands are ones who have never even tried that specific device. As long as it's not the Note II (even the Note fits in most pockets...) or that other gigantic phone, I don't see any device having trouble fitting in a pocket.

I've tried a Galaxy S3 and HTC something (about same size as the S3) and felt they were too big both in hand and in the pocket.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The display of the nexus4 and the galaxy nexus are about 4.3". Those are the phones you are looking for.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Samsung will probably release some form of a Galaxy S4 Mini.

HTC will probably release some form of this year's 'HTC One S'.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The display of the nexus4 and the galaxy nexus are about 4.3". Those are the phones you are looking for.

While the usable space on the Nexus 4 may come out to about 4.3", there is enough wasted space below the screen for buttons. In fact, the Nexus 4 is slightly taller than the Optimus G, which has buttons.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

The displays on both are 4.7" While I've noticed the buttons stay on screen almost always, they do fade away when watching videos.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The displays on both are 4.7" While I've noticed the buttons stay on screen almost always, they do fade away when watching videos.

Exactly you are getting a 4.7" display in a 4.3" body. Cause the buttons are worked in the screen thus reducing the bezel of the phone

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Exactly you are getting a 4.7" display in a 4.3" body. Cause the buttons are worked in the screen thus reducing the bezel of the phone

The Nexus 4 is not the size of a 4.3" phone. The bezel is not smaller. It's a little bigger than the Optimus G. I wish they would have made it that way, and maybe the next one will be.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Motorola Razr M is a decent current device that is about the size of an iPhone 5 with a 4.3" screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.