any recomendations for a spam blocker for windows?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bennetsaysargh, Mar 8, 2004.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

any recomendations for a cheap or free spam blocker for windows?

thanks. :)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

These may come in useful;) also the "Google taskbar" is good for blocking pop-up type spam, don't know about e-mail though.

4. reh macrumors 6502a

5. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

bah, i have spyware but my iWon toolbar isnt doing anything to block the popups that come up when im playing games... does the google toolbar block the popup from spyware?

6. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

for spyware get adaware and spy bot :search and destroy

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

You have to edit your HOSTS file to include all of the URLS of the ad severs.

8. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

thanks, i removed 99.9% of them thanks to spybot... adaware didnt do much for me oh well, lets hope i wont get anymore annoying popups in the middle of a game

9. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Two words to get rid of spyware and popups: Mozilla Firefox. If you are still using Internet Exploder I HIGHLY recommend trying it out.
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I’ve used IE for years occasionally trying out Mozilla and Navigator occasionally. What colossal, wonderous POS. Invariably I ended up back on IE for several reasons all rather big ones. The introduction of Pheonix that turned into Firebird that now is Firefox (Can you say identity crisis?) has limited my IE usage to maybe 10%. There are VERY few sites that don’t work well with Firefox and the included features such as download manager, popup blocker, themeing ability, tabbed browsing,etc makes Firefox, IMHO, one of the best browsers on the market. What is even scarier is that its still beta. .8 specifically. And even at .8 its 100% stable. I have NEVER crashed with Firefox. Its gotten a little slow at times but I’ve attributed that to having about 6+ tabs open.

10. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh