Any recommendations for a 10K RPM drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daneoni, Oct 14, 2006.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm thinking of getting a 10K RPM drive for my MP. I saw a WD one which was slightly expensive but not wallet breaking. However i wanted to ask around to find out what people are using/would recommend.

It has to be the 150GB versions though and preferrably quiet and cool. Suggestions? and thanx for the replies

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I've had a raptor drive for while now and I love it. I store the OS and applications on it, while keeping my home directory on the 7200 drive.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You're only choice is the Western Digital drives, as WD is the only company that makes a SATA drive that spins at 10K.

They are f***ing sweet drives. The 150GB drives are only availble that I've seen online.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Raptors are THE drive to go for if you want a fast boot drive, but you may want to
    consider noise specs on these drives for any audio solutions if your CPU will be in close proximity to your mics.

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So the WD is a good buy then. A friend says its cheaper and batter to do a RAID of two 7200 RPM drives instead but i'm wary this might not be good for Time Machine i.e doesnt TM require a separate drive to back up to?. This is why i'm considering using the Raptor as a primary drive and then using the stock drive as a backup.

Better yet, can you raid the Raptor with the normal stock drive?. Forgive me but im new to the whole RAID thing.

7. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

I have the 150GB Raptor as a Boot Drive and it is indeed quite fast ... I recommend it wholely ...

It is not noisey at all, but the MacPro is so dead silent, it is the part I hear the most :eek:

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Thanx, i'll order the drive first thing on monday. Thanx again.

9. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

Yes, the Raptor rocks! I own the 75 gb (it was the largest out at the time) and I love it. I wish the 150 gb was out then...

10. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I second (or third, or whatever) the Raptor Drive. I have a 74GB in my MP. The only caveot, it is the loudest (or least quiet) part of my MP.

11. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

L33t!!!!!11!

I have a Raptor 150 in my G5 2.7 as well, this thing is damn fast! Well worth it.

Its not all that loud.