Any recommendations for a good card reader?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sjl, Dec 12, 2005.

1. sjl
    macrumors 6502

sjl

Having discovered a new way to make a 1.25 GHz PowerBook slow to a crawl (put a 1 GB Sandisk CF card in a PCMCIA adapter, plug it in, and transfer 1 GB of images across), I'm in the market for a CF card reader. Having a preference for firewire over USB when it comes to large data transfers, I have (it would appear) two choices locally: one from DataFab, and one from Lexar.

Anybody have any experience with either of those? I'd not expect there to be a great deal to it by and large, but still, it's nice to know that I'm not likely to be buying a lemon. ;) It'll also help when I get the money together for a faster CF card. (Extreme III would be nice, but I suspect I'll end up with Ultra 2. Oh well.)

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68030

I've had no problems with the basic SanDisk USB2.0 CF reader, and all I use are Lexar CF cards :p

It's only $20 at Staples and many other retailers, and while it's not FW it transfers very fast and consistently compared to a cheapy I used (which actually fluctuated in xfer speed). If you really feel the need for a FW one, I'd get either Lexar or SanDisk branded readers. I've read more issues with third-party readers than with either of those....and both work well with the other's CF cards :)

3. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i've heard good things about the lacie 8 in 1 media reader (usb 2) and i plan to pick one up shortly.

4. Moderator emeritus

That should be good since it's about twice as expensive as the same thing from other manufacturers.

Mind you, I use it for only a couple hundred 3.3-4.0 MB images at a time, but I use either Stratitec or SimpleTech USB 2.0 readers, or the one in my Epson all-in-one, if I'm home.

All transfer reasonably quickly and, while there could be USB conflicts, I've not had trouble with the card readers.

5. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so your card readers cost 10 bucks? fair enough

6. macrumors G3

puckhead193

i have a scan disk one that's USB... no complaints.

7. sjl
    thread starter macrumors 6502

sjl

Heh. I'm happy with my SanDisk CF cards, although I do need to get some faster ones down the road. :p

Thanks for the tip ... looks like it'll be either a USB Sandisk reader, or the Lexar FW reader. Much appreciate it. Where'd I put that credit card ... (and for the record, pricing from somebody in the US isn't much good to me, given that I'm in Australia. :D )

8. macrumors regular

Seconded. It's the best one for the price. Plus, that's what I have, and it works really fast and well! :)

9. macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I bought a $7 card reader from ebay, and it LOVE it...

Best $7 I spent in a while.. Using it over a year now and its a 7-in-1 reader..