Any Recommendations re Uninterruptible Power Supplies?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by riciad, Feb 11, 2006.

1. riciad macrumors 6502

I've been having issues with electronic equipment lately and I think the cause is the poor quality of our electricity supply.
    We had a similar problem a few years ago and it seems to have returned in the last 2 months. The problem is brown-outs, not surges.
    Hence, I'm thinking of buying an UPS and would appreciate any advice regarding make and power size.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've been using a CyberPower 1500AVR-HO for about two years now, and am very happy with it - it connects to my Mac via USB and allows me to, among other things, automatically shut down the system as well as monitor line voltage.

We use a lot of APC systems at work. They're fine, but they tend to cost more than CyberPower and none I've had seem to work with Macs.

Note that not all CyberPower ones will work with Macs either - check the website before buying.

If you don't care about Mac connectivity, then at least get an AVR model from someone which will protect you from brownouts and overvoltages.

3. riciad thread starter macrumors 6502

Would this CyberPower Office Tower 750VA UPS Line Interactive RS-232 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=315927&cks=PRL be suitable?
    jsw, thanks for the speedy reply. I hadn't come across the CyberPower range while looking at sites I normally deal with, only APC.

Second thought, I suppose I need one with USB connectivity don't I?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That should work just fine! I can't speak for that model, but mine came with a serial->USB coupler that allows me to connect right to my PowerMac, so, even though my UPS doesn't have USB, it works fine.

I couldn't find the model you showed, but the 650 VA model has USB connectivity in its specs, so I suspect your linked model does as well.

5. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have been using Belkin UPS unit (500 V and 900 V unit) which comes with the software you can see voltage and other electricity stats. All of my PC/Mac/Monitors and other important peripherals are all connected to these two Belkin units. Sometimes in the windy days, there is some occasional electric interruption for a fraction of a second (I can notice it by a flicker of the indoor lights) and these Belkin units give me a peace of mind as it can clean out the electric supply while maintaining the constant voltage to my machines.

6. riciad thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the helpful info.
    I think I'll go for the CyberPower Office Tower 750VA UPS Line Interactive RS-232. It does have USB connectivity in its specs and I can get it from a retailer here in Ireland.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Since I got my new iMac I was looking at the Belkin units. I feel it's a small price to pay ($69-79) for the added protection/clean electric and battery backup.

8. anothernewbie macrumors member

Ups

I've been using the Belkin 650 for about two years. It has functioned flawlessly, and still shows 95% battery life. My area has frequent power outages and the UPS springs into "essentially" instant action.

9. big_malk macrumors 6502a

Power requirements for a UPS

Hey, I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I need a little advice.

Im looking at getting a UPD for my Mac Pro, I found a good deal on a Back-UPS CS 500 (think thats the name, heres a link to the product page.

I was wondering though, what's the minimum wattage I would need for my Mac Pro? I can't see any ratings for it in the system profiler or on the apple specs page?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!