Any recommended USB speakers that I can connect to my 2011 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dmk1974, Sep 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

dmk1974

For my 2011 MBA 11" (which I really like!), I connect it to a 24" monitor when at my desk along with the power connector and a USB hub (so 3 connections each time I use it in a desktop setting).

I'd like to find a good set of USB speakers that I can connect to that hub basically just to avoid a 4th connector each time I use the MBA at my desk. Are there any recommended options out there? Budget-wise, I'd like to target between $20-$75 and no subwoofer (just a decent speaker pair with good sound). Thanks!

2. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

I would avoid any additional cable on MBA; would be an Airport Express an Option ? Sound output via WiFi and AirPlay ?

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, when at my desk, I've already got the one USB connection to the hub (which has printer, iPhone cord, webcam, and logitech keyboard/mouse transmitter). So that's why I was thinking USB speakers that would go into that same hub and then its not an additional connection each time. I've also seen this Logitech Z515 speaker which is wireless, though mixed reviews in some cases.

4. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Just a thought, Bluetooth speakers might be an option here as well.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Correct...that Z515 I mentioned above is BT wireless as well.

6. macrumors newbie

7. macrumors 6502

3dflyboy1

8. macrumors 6502a

How loud can it get without breaking up? I realize this isn't a massive stereo system, but I'm curious if it's enough to pack a punch for a bedroom or office.

9. macrumors regular

I was so focus on the USB connection aspect and was going to mention the Bose Companion 5 until I see OP's budget.
    Umm... I am not aware there are many options out there that utilize the USB connection at OP's nominated price range.

10. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

depending on your taste ...

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 6502a

I recommend the x-mini pro II. They're 50$ and produce amazing sound (WITH subwoofer, though). The only "drawback" is they're connect with the 3,5mm headphone jack.
    But there's also the x-mini (v1.1) which can be connected with both 3,5mm jack and usb, and is 25$.
    I have owned both (currently only the pro II) and they are great, with a battery that lasts for days and can be charged through usb.

12. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

13. macrumors 6502

alecgold

Depending on your budget?
    an Apple thunderbolt display, quite handy, I've got one and I love it
    or Genelec's 8020d, really nice, even and transparent sound, but not USB, I'm afraid.

14. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

nothing wrong with Anpan-Man; this little guy has even a museum in Yokohama.

15. thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, my Best Buy had one Z515 left on clearance for $69.99 so I picked it up. Very easy setup and works so far so good when tested with iPod and the MacBook Air. It's not a Bose by any means, but hopefully will do the job to give better sound when at my desk compared to the built in Air speakers.

16. macrumors newbie

Actually, that is a very very good thing :D

17. macrumors newbie

Pretty Loud

I listen to mostly Audio books or Streaming audio, but music goes full volume without distorting. Yes it is expensive, but I wouldn't have been able to paint the house this summer without the portability of these speakers.

18. hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

FWIW: Amazon has the Logitech Z515 Speakers at $55 right now.

-howard

19. thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

So far I'm pretty content with the sound of the Z515's. But one issue I am having, and perhaps it's because it's a bluetooth connection, is that I am getting a lag in the sound. For iTunes music you don't notice, but when playing any video (streaming, YouTube, or a recorded video), there is a slight lag in sound to the video. Is this a common BT issue perhaps?

20. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

I once had a BT mouse (Kensington) do the same thing, and I've noticed the same lag when I connect my phone to my car stereo via BT. So it's quite possible.

Interesting to note, my Magic Trackpad doesn't have this lag.