Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I thought for sure I was going to get the 2.0 Ghz White MB with SuperDrive, but thought about it a little more this weekend, and thought maybe I should get the 1.83 instead. Even though I'll only get $50 off with the edu discount, as opposed to $100 off for the 2.0 model, I'm not sure the extra money is worth it. I don't burn DVDs all that often (pretty much never), and I have an iMac with a DL DVD burner anyway in case I must. So the speed is the only significant difference for me. Benchmarks show the two systems nearly identical, with the 2.0 having a less than 1% gain in most tests. Has anyone got the 1.83 and not been happy with the speed? I'm still chugging along with a 667Mhz TiBook as my portable. When I got that, the 800 Mhz was available, but I never regretted getting the lesser model.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--DT

EDIT: Also, do you think the optical drive on the MB will be upgradeable, like the PB's drive was (with a third-party upgrade)? In case I ever decide that I want to be burning DVDs on the go.

EDIT 2: Corrected edu discount amounts

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
sorry, this isnt really answering your question, but it is related. i have no regret going for the upper model. black with 1 gb ram and 120 gb hdd here. in your shoes, i would go with the 1.83, because you've already got a way better burner, and the speed difference probably wont be noticable in day to day tasks.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
Well seen as my MacBook runs at between 1.5 and 1.67GHz most of the time and has only been pushed higher during my Handbrake test I don't think in real world normal use you're going to see a difference.

As for is it worth the superdrive? - not in my opinion. It's only a single layer burner, RAM is more useful and a decent dual layer external if really required. I'm sure someone will make a 3party replacement at some point in the future.

Of course in 2 years time they might be fitted with HD-DVD/Blu-ray drives and burners - Your other burner will keep you sorted till then.

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
I don't think you're going to notice the difference between the 1.83 and 2.0 models. I think you'll be VERY pleased with the performance gain over the TiBook!

Save your bucks for RAM and/or a larger hard drive.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
You already have an iMac with DL DVD burner, so I'd say just go for the base model and upgrade the RAM with the money you'll save.

chris y.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
los angeles, ca
Yep I love my base model MB. And this is coming from a Powerbook G4 1.25ghz aluminum model. The display was a really huge step up in brightness and clarity and the speed is really amazing even for a lowend1.83.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Thanks for the great advice, everyone! You've helped me to make my final decision to go with the 1.83, and bump up the RAM to 2 GB, and maybe put in a bigger/faster HD when I need it. Now, I'll just have to wait a couple weeks for an updated nano to make the most out of the promotion! ;)

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
I've been thinking that the low end MacBook is the way to go, as long as you upgrade the HD and RAM. Unless money isn't an issue, I don't see the extra features making much of a difference. I think the only place that there might be a large downside is resale value, but I'm second guessing myself on that one too. Assuming that the MacBook will get used for about two years, at that time, I think that HD-DVD or BluRay will be used instead of DVD, and the speed difference will be negligable. So by the time the MacBook gets sold, I doubt it'll make that much difference whether it was the base model or not. With that being said, I think unless money's not an issue or you need to be burning DVD's a lot, the base model's the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.