Any regrets not getting a superdrive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Undecided, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Trying to decide between 1.5 ghz 15" PB with combo drive v. 1.67 ghz with superdrive. I've never had a dvd burner, and I'm not a videographer (my only "video camera" is in my camera and my cell phone).

I use computers for word processing, email, photos, music, web, simple spreadsheets, taxes, family tree stuff, accounting, and the like. Any work I would do on it would be in Word. I treat it like a tool. Thus far, I haven't had a need or desire to spend a lot of time to, for example, create a dvd of something or another for handing out to people (no kids, or wife for that matter; no one wants to sit through a dvd of my travels; etc.). I'd back up to an external drive instead of dvds.

On the other hand, maybe I'll have an explosion of creativity once I'm exposed to a Mac?

Thanks!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've had a PowerMac dual G4/800 with SuperDrive for 3 years and so far, I've made one DVD with Japanese music videos on it (using iDVD) so I can play it on my region 1 DVD player attached to the t.v. and the rest have been backups.

My photography is certainly more easily backed up to DVD but with a little attention, I can split it up onto several CD-Rs.

I don't think i'd have regrets, though, without it.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I regret it!

I didn't get the superdrive when I got my iBook (they don't come on 12 inchers anyway) and it's pretty annoying. Every now and then I'll want to burn movies and make backup and a DVD burner would really come in handy. I know you can do it with CDs but at 700Mb they're really far too small for most uses. I recommend getting the superdrive, you may as well. :)

4. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I find that I really don't use my superdrive. I have owned my PB 15" 1.5Ghz for about a year and maybe used the drive three or four times. I have used the CD burner a bunch more though.

The reason. I usually use the DVD burner on my desktop machines. In my opinion I would get a firewire/usb dvd drive. This way you can easily/cheaply get new faster drives when you want. It won't help you when you are traveling, unless you plan on taking it with you.

Kimo

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Although I don't use the DVD bit that often, it's invaluable for archiving completed work (design projects that can be up to 1gb at times) that I don't want cluttering up my HD.

As well as backing up to another HD, backing up valuable irreplaceable data to media and storing them elsewhere brings peace of mind.

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

recently bought me a mini without superdrive.
    I will add an external Dual Layer when i need one. The superdrive i could order with it was one layer only.
    I might not even need the dual layer until Blu-Ray writers are out :cool:.

Having a non-portable i don't really mind having another external enclosure. + i could hook it up to any of my (future) computers.

7. timmyb macrumors 6502

at the moment this discussion is academic for me, but do you think the next iBook rev will have a superdrive for the 12"?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Unfortunately I don't think it's very likely. The iBook is already getting close to the PowerBook in features and the lack of a superdrive option for the 12 inch is a pretty good way of keeping them apart. Of course, if the PowerBooks come out with something stellar like dual core technology then the tables could turn. Hopefully that's the case, but I've got this feeling that it's quite unlikely (the superdrive part at least). :(

9. iGary Guest

iGary

In answer to your question, no.

I've never even touched the SuperDrive on my iMac, but I just ordered a SuperDrive from OWC so I can had yet another means of backing up my images (as if three separate hard drive back ups and CD's weren't enough :rolleyes: ).

10. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I wish I could have got one on my iBook. I have an external DVD writer now, but it would have been nice not to have needed to have done so. My key use for DVD creation is backing up photo and video, which CDs just don't cut it for any more.

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

got over the regret by buying an iPod instead. ;) :)

Honestly though I hardly backup 4+ gigs of data often, and I don't burn DVD's to optical anyhow, I make it an image files, move it to my iPod and head down to the kiosk. :)

Though I would not mind one done the road if the speed of burning a DVD was shortened. Or might move on to Blu-Ray or HVD instead. :)

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have an eMac with a superdrive and an iBook without (no regrets) I use the SD to backup everything (once a week or when I add stuff) on my drive thats very important to me i.e. photos, video, folders...
    That ends up being about 3-4 gigs, so i'm always using it (SD). I just bought an external dvd burner with dl (since my iBook doesn't have one) and have used it with both Macs and will from now on. I didn't think I would use it (SD) when I bought my eMac but, I really like the idea of the external now and a choice of what drive I want to use not to mention it's way faster and if something goes wrong with it then i'm not out of my Mac when it's getting fixed.

13. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. It sounds like you all use it for backup purposes mainly. I'd backup to a hard drive (I have an external USB 2.0 drive), and that by itself is good enough for me.

14. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

The only thing that really keeps them apart is the video card in the PowerBook and some of the ports. The superdrive can be upgraded (aftermarket, not stock) for about $100. You can't upgrade the video, so that will continue to be an unchangeable difference. The install is quick and easy (less than two hours). If you like the iBook except for the superdrive, get it and add it later. You'll save hundreds in the end and have what you really want.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a sloooow SuperDrive in my iMac G4 800, which I have used to create a DVD set of old family footage which had previously been archived to a couple of VHS. It was fun to edit out the crap and add some audio. I have also used the SuperDrive to back up my photo and iTunes libraries. I'd say it's handy to have one around, but not a dire necessity.
    I didn't bother to get the DVD burner in my PowerBook since I already had one in the iMac. Figure I'll get an external FW dual layer burner when the price gets a little more friendly. It'd be nice to have something snappier. :rolleyes:

16. brap macrumors 68000

Yeah, I can't RDC to my PC to use the burner in that, cause it's broke, and I don't have a SD in my Powerbook. My hard disks are all full :(

17. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I'm fairly certain I could live without my DVD Burner, any archiving I do is done on my ipod, not on DVD, though if I didn't have another HD I would probably use the burner. The only time my DVD burner got any action was when I tested it by backing up one of my DVDs. Could I live without it? Yes, but it came standard in my iMac so I didn't really think about it, I doubt I wouldve paid extra for it though.

allison.

18. vieoray macrumors regular

both macs i have bought in the past year i skipped the superdrive option. although i imagine it would be nice for backups, i really have no need to burn dvds at this time, so i dont miss it, and the money i saved went for buying something i considered more useful, an iPod and airport express.