Any Republicans here?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 2, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

In light of all the "any (insert sexuality) here" threads, I thought I'd start this here. I know I've been in and out recently, what with working all the time now, but it seems that the worse things get with BushCo, the fewer opposing viewpoints we're getting around here. Except for the occasional troll who wants to nuke everybody, we are sorely lacking in the conservative department. For the record, I consider myself somewhat of a moderate, as both parties often disgust me. Socially somewhat liberal, fiscally conservative. I find myself agreeing with what Bill Maher says, I'd be a Republican if only they would. I would actually like Bush and his cronies if they didn't do (almost) everything completely wrong. :p

So, any Republicans left here?

2. belvdr macrumors 601

I'm registered as a Republican, but it all comes down to the candidates when the time comes to vote.

I wonder if we should start a "Any humans here?" thread..

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I agree. Party doesn't matter when I vote. I take the best ideas from both parties and call them my own. The only reason I registered with the GOP is that my town is almost all Republican. The city council and mayor are all Republican. If you need a favor or just want to have your voice heard, you have to be Republican. I would register as a Democrat if my town was controlled by the Democratic party.

That would be stupid. The thread would go dead WAY too soon.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why do you feel the need to rationalize the fact that you're a republican?

it's not bad

everyone wants the same end goal, whats best for the country and the people, just that everyone has a differentidea of how to get there

5. iGary Guest

iGary

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't think that's entirely true. Some people prioritize what's best for them, or their family, or their city, or state, etc. They aren't necessarily prioritizeing what's best for the country or people as a whole. They also might have a very different view of who "the people" are, excluding certain groups or prioritizing certain groups.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i suppose thats the best rationale around. i too, lump myself in to this category.

my friends like to call me their republicrat. :rolleyes: :p

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

True. We can always count on people to do whatever they perceive to be in their own best, and generally short-term, interests. This is why more tax cutting, even in the face of a looming debt crisis, still has its enthusiastic advocates.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Maybe, but I didn't mean to imply that only Republicans are dedicated in politics of limited interest. I think this applies across the spectrum. My poiint is that it's not just that we think there are different answers to the same question of what's best for everyone, but that most of the time we're asking completely different questions.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Exactly, I agree. Tax cutting and debt was just a convenient example of short-term gain trumping long-term harm. It takes real effort to look much beyond the end of one's nose.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I gotta tell you guys I'm getting really bored with the "Any (insert group) here?" threads. I understand why Brian0523 started the "Any Gays Here" thread as being gay can be a very lonely, scary experience depending on where you live. He was a newbie, and knowing that there are others out there can be enormously helpful.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is so scary about being Republican that it warrants this thread.

BTW- where are stubeeef and Macaddicttt? They're my fave Republican sparring partners. I haven't seen them in ages.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would be considered a Republican, considering the alternatives...
    But I have voted for Democrats on occasion.

I prefer to vote issues rather than parties

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have to go along with your statement...socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Bush isn't so great, but the alternatives scare me. I mean, really, Al Gore???

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm curious, what specifically about his platform and public service didn't you like? please note the word "specifically."

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have allways voted Republican and leaned Republican until the past 5 years of Bush/Republican Congress. Now iam Independent.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry, but Bush is much worse than "not so great". He's most likely THE worst President in US history. The lies, the cronyism, borrow & spend and now a Supreme Court nominee who's never even been a judge. Sorry- he's much worse than "not so great". He should embarrass Republicans.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." —H. L. Mencken

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That wasn't very nice. :)

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Registered Republican but I vote across party lines. Whoever looks best for the position and what not. On social issues I typically lean more left, on fiscal issues I typically lean more right.

Lethal

21. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Being a Republican on this board could be intimidating since, as a whole, this board leans left. I've seen people express traditional Repubican views/ideas and get smacked around by the liberal majority on the board before.

As for myself, I'm not registered to either party I just try to vote for offices and proposals based on my thoughts/beliefs about topics and platforms. I try to formulate my opinions on as much unbiased information as I can find - which I worry isn't must at times.

I don't like the initiatives the Republicans have been pushing lately, way too neocon, way too churchy for me. However, the Dems are just pathetic, IMO. Can someone remind them that they are supposed to be politicans? My opinion can be summed up with a joke from Lewis Black, "The Republicans are a party of bad ideas and the Democrats are a party of no ideas."

22. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Probably because most people think Bush is a moron and they don't want to be associated with him.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...OK. I've only seen people get bashed on the boards when they can't back up their views, whether they are left or right. I see everyone getting jumped on fairly equally here. It's the reason I like these forums in the first place.

And being Republican is nowhere near as scary as being gay can be. VERY bad comparison. Plus, being Republican IS a choice.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i don't think it's necessary to always compare threads to the "any gays here" thread as such. it's not like any thread titled "any ____ here?" should adhere to: group of people who face struggles in their lives based on a non-choice regarding their sexuality...

25. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I wasn't comparing those two things and nowhere in my post did I say I was. I made an independent comment in response to your question about why someone might not feel comfortable expressing they are republican on this board. I have seen threads, particularly those related to Republican views on the role of religion in society and government where posters were ganged up on and made to feel stupid, which I would find intimidating if I were a Republican wishing to express political views on this forum. I made no comment about homosexuality, sorry if you took offense.