any return to castle wolfenstein fans here?

Discussion in 'Games' started by artie, Dec 28, 2002.

1. artie macrumors newbie

I love this game... I play every night...

this game rocks! ;)

anyone else like it?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It is great. I should play it more often but I'm slowly figuring things out.

3. Steradian macrumors 6502

yeah

I play RTCW all the time it is great! ahh good times. Heh heh

PowerBook G4 1ghz

4. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

I tried the new Wolfenstein; I found some good things and a lot of bad ones. I really liked the graphics, but it hasn't reached a real level of 3-D - many of the objects such as flame still appear in 2-D, which is a limitation from the first Wolf3d engine. The controls are terrible, and although I will only use a keyboard input and the mouse for limited precision moves, the engine will not automatically target enemy forces as did the DOOM engine. It isn't fair that the enemy can have human-like movement while B.J. is stuck with using an imprecise mouse to target. If I could use a full virtual reality suit or at least a glove, it would be more fun. The vocal tracks of the characters are much improved over Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny, but they are still unreal in that the characters repeat what they are saying based on trigger points in the floors. One of the neat things to try with the characters is to put away all of B.J.'s weapons, disable the intruder alarm, and watch them all instantly return to what they were doing before the alarm sounded; then walk right in front of them and blend. The music soundtracks could be more realistic too - get rid of the old tracks from yesteryear and put in something like radio broadcasts or a real musical instrument playing in the background. I found the so-called "music" obnoxious and so I turned it off - it had no place in the setting of the game. Overall, I'd say that the latest Wolfenstein engine is an improvement, but it still needs work before it can reach a true level of realism.

5. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I've been playing quite a few first-person shooters lately (the likes of Medal of Honor, Soldier of Fortune II and Alien Vs. Predator), and noticed a few limitations. Therefore, I've come to the conclusion:

Wouldn't it be great if there was a virtual headset to fix to your graphics card (and a USB port) to relate your head movements so you could REALLY immerse yourself in the game? I know of PC variants, but there's no reason why they can't be used with Macs - you just need to write the drivers...

I tell 'ya - it'd be great for flight simulators, too (like using the "virtual mode" on F/A-18 Korea Gold...).

:D

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

RTCW doesn't use it's own engine, it uses the Quake III engine...

Anyways, yeah I used to play it all the time, but as I don't play many games anymore, it's not even in my dock anymore. But, occasionaly, when I want to play something, it's always my first choice.

irmongoose

7. artie thread starter macrumors newbie

I found Ghost Recon VERY difficult to learn and the controls are terrible! :(

I gave up on trying to learn that game cause the controls were so bad...

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Please explain how you think the Ghost Recon controls are terrible.

The controls of Ghost Recon were meant for realism, not the run-and-shoot of RtCW.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

But real life is run and shoot :D

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Oh I wish. :p :D

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

someone needs to port battlefield 1942 to the mac. that is my favorite game now since i beat splinter cell. battefield will keep me occupied until star wars galaxies comes out next spring.

iJon

12. couch potato macrumors regular

my favorite game of all time. multiplayer anyways. i played the beta demo for 8 months before getting the PC version. Will get the Mac version first thing:)

13. dubbelhund macrumors member

Does anybody know how to download new maps/levels to Return to castle wolfenstein and Quake 3. Where to get them and how to install them? :confused:

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Me too, I really would like those maps. as far as the other comments iam not sure what sytems they use but on my 733 quicksilver RTCW rocks. the multiplay is simply awsome and i have Medal of Honor but seem to allways go back to wolf on line. I use my mouse and have set my keys on the keyboard and its awsome. Highly recommend this game to any first person shooter fan. I did read that Aspyr was looking into making a map release with new maps and that would be packaged for the mac. I think some people are using the pc maps somehow by moviing files around and some other modifications. Sure would like complete details on this cause who knows if or when aspyr will do this.

15. couch potato macrumors regular

yeah. there is a game of the year map pack for PC, i got it, its sweet. i also got an Operation marketgarder map for rtcw, and it rules. too bad mac doesnt get this sort of stuff:(

16. Boone macrumors newbie

But we do!
    It took me and my friend soo long to find new maps and get them to work on our macs.
    Go to kittycarnage.com, and the downloads section. Download the zip files, and unzip em. Copy the .pk3 files into your /main folder in your wolfenstien directory.
    I particularly like the trenchtoast cp map. Enjoy!

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks boone and is that all you have to do? i thought there was something special you needed to use those zip files? Wonder where i got my name?

18. Boone macrumors newbie

Stuffit Expander will unzip the files. I was thrown off a little by Aspyr's page telling you to get some exe extractor.... or something. Also be sure to get the patches, they added some cool stuff like allowing the lieutenant to know how much ammo you have, and anti cheating bots.

19. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I love people who tear down great games like RTCW. As far as I'm concerned this is easily one of the best games available for the mac. Granted PeeCee users get all the fun with games...but I'm not about to sell my soul to Gates to play. Seriously....what other games can we compare RTCW to???? Otto Matic???? Bugdome???? C'mon those games are LAME!!! The multiplayer on this game is ABSOLUTE FUN!!!!

20. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Great game, I own 2 copies so my friends can use the sawtooth behind me. Im really glad that Aspyr finally released the 1.41 patch, but I think they need to move ore quickly when it comes to ensuring pc-mac connectivity.

21. couch potato macrumors regular

22. Steradian macrumors 6502

hey

Do any of u here play the demo, or just the full version, if so what clan r u from :)

23. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Full version...V1.41

Clan ^OSX : Operatives and Strategic Experts

www.osx-team.us/osxhtml

Name: ^OSX.pfcDoc{+}

24. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

RTCW rules. I havent played the multiplayer online much because of the great lack of maps but the single player is exellent..

25. job macrumors 68040

job

I'd like to play more online, but whenever I try to connect to a PC server it tells me I have a "corrupted client."

I've done a clean install -> the 1.32 updater -> the 1.41 patch.

I've also tried clean install to 1.41 patch.

Nothing seems to work. Bah!